Sign in to follow this  
redblades

Possible NJ Transit Strike during NCAA's?

Something to keep an eye on - There is a possible NJ Transit train strike looming, could begin starting March 13 if negotiations fail.  It shouldn't affect those staying in NYC, but if anyone is planning to stay in NJ and commute in to MSG - you might want to keep an eye on this.

Story in the NY Times: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/03/nyregion/possible-nj-transit-train-strike-raises-anxiety-among-commuters.html?_r=0

Better get Gov. Christie off of Trump's campaign and back to Jersey to straighten this out!  Or then again... maybe it's better if he stays away.

I'm optimistic it will get worked out before we get there. If it is going to be as bad as all these articles say, then there is plenty of motivation to avoid this kind of shutdown. If there is a strike, its effect on the championships will depend on where you're staying. If you're in NJ but are near the PATH train, it sounds like that would not be affected by a strike, other than being more crowded than usual. 

AKHUNTER, CB - From Newark Airport, there are buses direct to Port Authority Bus Terminal (PABT) which is a mere 8-9 blocks - 1/2 mile walk, or one subway stop point to point - from MSG.  Also, PATH trains should be running (these operate separately from NJ Transit); you can catch the AirTrain to Newark Penn Station, then switch there to the PATH system.  You can get a PATH train to Harold Square, again just a short walk to MSG.

There are a number of other options available - the thing to keep in mind is there will be a lot of people taking alternate routes, which will inevitably cause congestion at the bottle necks, especially the Lincoln and Holland tunnels, GW Bridge.  Travel will also be a little easier off-peak, try to work around commuting times if you can.

This shouldn't be total gridlock - we're talking about a little over 100,000 commuters affected directly - but it this will no doubt cause delays on roadways already working at max capacity on a good day.

Once you get to NYC - there should be little noticeable impact from this.

And then maybe we get lucky and the problem gets resolved.

Cue all the Midwesterners who were opposed to traveling to NYC precisely because of things like this. What if your hotel is in Hoboken, and the plan was to take the train to MSG every day?  Problem?  That's advice I remember being posted on this site back when this venue was first announced.

Edited by tigerfan9311

This would suck major.  My group flies into Newark, one overnight, then train to NY.  No plans for a car rental.  Just staying train/subway.  Hmmmm

You can take PATH from Penn Station in Newark into the city. PATH is run by the Port Authority,  not NJ Transit. It will continue to operate if there's a strike (but it's probably going to be crowded).

Thanks to all for chiming in.  I like the Amtrack or PATH options.  We arrive Tuesday evening, then we'lll make our trek to NY on Wednesday and use that as a sight seeing day.  Staying in Midtown through Sunday, then back to EWR/Newark.

Amtrak and the PATH trains would still be running. shouldn't have any trouble getting to Penn Station from Newark Airport. NJ Transit is mostly for commuting from the burbs.

PATH doesn't go out to the airport, but there is an NJ Transit bus line (107) that goes from Terminal B at the airport to the Port Authority bus terminal in New York. That trip normally takes about an hour.  You might have to double that during rush hour if there's a strike. 

Cue all the Midwesterners who were opposed to traveling to NYC precisely because of things like this. What if your hotel is in Hoboken, and the plan was to take the train to MSG every day?  Problem?  That's advice I remember being posted on this site back when this venue was first announced.

Hoboken is served by PATH, shouldn't be a problem.  Just a little crowded - you'll get used to it.

PATH doesn't go out to the airport, but there is an NJ Transit bus line (107) that goes from Terminal B at the airport to the Port Authority bus terminal in New York. That trip normally takes about an hour.  You might have to double that during rush hour if there's a strike. 

I know, I just didn't bother looking up all the specific routes. thanks for providing the detail, though I'm not sure the NJ bus lines would be working would they? there's an airport shuttle bus to the Amtrak station. I assume there will be a fairly simple way of getting to Newark Penn to pick up the PATH.

I'd also recommend to anyone staying in Hoboken or that part of Jersey to take the ferries. most scenic way to cross the Hudson.

From what I have heard on the local news:  Union and management are still playing cat and mouse.  NJ Transit has made comments that fare hikes may need to be considered - meaning that there may be some concessions on pay issues.

Expect this one to be decided by a late takedown or escape point.  Hopefully still within regulation time.

Cross town (east/west) buses usually run pretty close to schedule, and are more frequent - but can be slow due to traffic.  Use the subway going uptown/downtown, buses take forever, unless your are just going short distance.

Cross town (east/west) buses usually run pretty close to schedule, and are more frequent - but can be slow due to traffic.  Use the subway going uptown/downtown, buses take forever, unless your are just going short distance.

thank you