Sign in to follow this  
goldlover

UWW to separate world finalists at olympic games

Wow...enormous news.  A HUGE benefit for a guy like Snyder that will have several killers at about his level.  He automatically gets placed in the 8-man top half of the bracket?  Yes, please!! There's no scenario where he needs more than 3 wins to medal.   Wow!

That's a good news but does it mean we will have equal number of wrestlers in each half ?

The ruling means that the returning world champion will be placed on the upper bracket, and the silver medalist in the lower bracket. Neither wrestler will receive one of the four qualification round matches at the Olympic Games. 

Doesn't change anything in most weights though, for example Burroughs and Geduev still can meet each other before the final, same goes to Sadullaev and Karimi or Akgul and Makhov.

I would prefer a table like this, (assuming we will have 20 wrestlers in each weight in Rio), this way we have 10 wrestlers in each half (with current format , the upper half is most probably easier) 

1 (2015 gold) bye

2 bye

3 bye

4 bye

5 bye

6 bye

7 vs 8

9 vs 10

--------

11 vs 12

13 vs 14

15 bye

16 bye

17 bye

18 bye

19 bye

20 (2015 silver) bye

If they still fill in the bracket top to bottom (other than the 1 seed), it will actually be an advantage to be the returning silver medalist rather than the returning champion.

Why is that? My peabrain isn't conceptualizing why it's better. It's a random draw after 1 and 2 are placed, so anything can happen.

Why is that? My peabrain isn't conceptualizing why it's better. It's a random draw after 1 and 2 are placed, so anything can happen.

He must be confused.  It's not better at all.  The bottom half of the bracket is the more full half.  Most Olympic weights will have 19 participants.  Both seeds will only need 3 wins to go to the final, but the #2 seed will be in a bracket with 11 wrestlers and a higher likelihood of better depth.  The 2 halves will look like this:

TOP HALF (8 wrestlers)

#1 seed vs. bye

random vs. bye

random vs. bye

random vs. bye

random vs. bye

random vs. bye

random vs. bye

random vs. bye

BOTTOM HALF (11 wrestlers)

#2 seed vs. bye

random vs. bye

random vs. bye

random vs. bye

random vs. bye

random vs. random

random vs. random

random vs. random

Edited by maligned

He must be confused. It's not better at all. The bottom half of the bracket is the more full half. Most Olympic weights will have 19 participants. Both seeds will only need 3 wins to go to the final, but the #2 seed will be in a bracket with 11 wrestlers and a higher likelihood of better depth. The 2 halves will look like this:

TOP HALF (8 wrestlers)

#1 seed vs. bye

random vs. bye

random vs. bye

random vs. bye

random vs. bye

random vs. bye

random vs. bye

random vs. bye

#2 seed vs. bye

random vs. bye

random vs. bye

random vs. bye

random vs. bye

random vs. random

random vs. random

random vs. random

Thanks. That was my thought process as well.

He must be confused.  It's not better at all.  The bottom half of the bracket is the more full half.  Most Olympic weights will have 19 participants.  Both seeds will only need 3 wins to go to the final, but the #2 seed will be in a bracket with 11 wrestlers and a higher likelihood of better depth.  The 2 halves will look like this:

TOP HALF (8 wrestlers)

#1 seed vs. bye

random vs. bye

random vs. bye

random vs. bye

random vs. bye

random vs. bye

random vs. bye

random vs. bye

#2 seed vs. bye

random vs. bye

random vs. bye

random vs. bye

random vs. bye

random vs. random

random vs. random

random vs. random

I thought they filled in top first. My mistake!  Yes, being #1 seed is an awesome advantage.  

The best guy in the world at 213 is Yazdani. Snyder could get him 1st round in this scenario. This is still asinine-all the smart people in the world are having childlike policies implemented and think they are good? Sharipov vs Espinol. The silver medalist here is not even top 10 in the world. O brother.  

doesnt help at 65 either. but as for snyder this doesn't necessarily help, russia might send gatsalov or boltukaev instead of gadisov. 

That was my thought too. Gadisov's recent loss to Gatsalov suggests it's not automatic he goes to Rio.

It is definitely a step in the right direction, if we progress to seeding the top 4 or even higher i think that would be great. Of course this means it will be more medals for russia, iran and azerbaijan as their athletes will be protected. This makes it harder for smaller countries which seems to go against what the IOC wants, however the best athletes deserve the protection, I would favor allowing multi entries per country too 

Who gives a damn about protection?  I just want the best matches during semi's and finals.  A creccendo of anticipation as the tournament goes along.  74kg was so flipping anti-climactic last year because of the stupid draw. I realize it is very difficult to seed and separation isn't perfect.  But this is definitely a good (if small) step in the right direction.

It is definitely a step in the right direction, if we progress to seeding the top 4 or even higher i think that would be great. Of course this means it will be more medals for russia, iran and azerbaijan as their athletes will be protected. This makes it harder for smaller countries which seems to go against what the IOC wants, however the best athletes deserve the protection, I would favor allowing multi entries per country too 

My question is what happens if one of the medalists isn't in the olympics like Gadisov for example? Does the 2 seed just go to that country no matter who they send or does it have to be the actual finalist?

It's only for the actual finalist and goes to nobody if he/she is not there.