Sign in to follow this  
MSU158

Matt Brown ranking? Mike Evans? 174?

Well there you go, Ryan thought Heflin deserved to lose. Sorry silver-medal.

Well obviously you dont think the stalling was warranted even though the ref thought so, and Ryan stated very clearly his team was stalling this dual. So, what is your beef? Basically because you are so anti-Iowa or what? Clearly you werent at the dual, so what you saw on the tv replay looked bad I agree, but if you were there in person you would have noticed the stalling was called well before Heflin shot in. Facts are what they are.

Matt Brown gets PINNED by Storley and doesn't drop a spot?

Not that this affects the rankings, as someone pointed out a loss is a loss...but I think you are severly misrepresenting this match up for anyone who may not have seen it.

If my memory serves correctly, the score was 0-0 when the scramble/reversal/fall happened. Not taking anything away from Storley, he is a monster. But he is not far and away ahead of Brown...certainly not by fall.

Also, not to mention, they are now 1-1 in their careers (Brown beat him at last years Scuffle).

In NO way did I misrepresent ANYTHING. Storley pinned Brown. That DID happen. I didn't say Storley dominated Brown or he is head and shoulders better than Brown. I simply stated he was pinned and didn't move a spot. Brown is a very solid wrestler and I believe he will AA. But he has beaten NOONE to date to be ranked 3rd.

I would put:

1. Perry

2. Storley

3. Evans (no issue with Kokesh here instead)

4. Kokesh

5. Heflin (AA last year with only loss OT to Evans)

6. Blanton (AA last year has 2 bad losses but beat Asper)

7. Asper (Could see him ahead of Blanton even with head to head since it is his only loss and he beat Blanton at All Star)

8. Brown

For some reason a lot of Iowa fans have beef with Tom Ryan, which I dont understand...

I noticed this whilst perusing the local IA boards before the dual. I'm assuming it's just due to last year's result, but I didn't know if I was missing some other piece of drama or something.

Iowa fans seem to feel that Tom Ryan is too much flash and not enough substance. They loved him when he left Syracuse, drove to U of Iowa, walked on and became a 2xAA (and nearly beat Pat Smith in the NCAA finals). But since he's been at Ohio State, they see him as a used car salesman.

Since arriving in Columbus, the Bucks have finished 10th, 2nd, 2nd, 8th, and 5th in six NCAA tournies. He's coached 20 AA's and 4 national champs. That's not perfect but it's a whole lot better than at any other point in the history of this formerly underachieving program.

Well there you go, Ryan thought Heflin deserved to lose. Sorry silver-medal.

Well obviously you dont think the stalling was warranted even though the ref thought so, and Ryan stated very clearly his team was stalling this dual. So, what is your beef? Basically because you are so anti-Iowa or what? Clearly you werent at the dual, so what you saw on the tv replay looked bad I agree, but if you were there in person you would have noticed the stalling was called well before Heflin shot in. Facts are what they are.

I've never noticed any anti-Iowa bias by Mr. Headshuck. And how can you say what he would've seen in person? If he'd had good seats, his view might have been blocked by all that leaping about. Just say'n.

Iowa fans seem to feel that Tom Ryan is too much flash and not enough substance. They loved him when he left Syracuse, drove to U of Iowa, walked on and became a 2xAA (and nearly beat Pat Smith in the NCAA finals). But since he's been at Ohio State, they see him as a used car salesman.

Since arriving in Columbus, the Bucks have finished 10th, 2nd, 2nd, 8th, and 5th in six NCAA tournies. He's coached 20 AA's and 4 national champs. That's not perfect but it's a whole lot better than at any other point in the history of this formerly underachieving program.

I agree that there seems to be something attached to the recruiting that is bothering a lot of Iowa fans. I don't know for certain.

That said, he's certainly done a great job at Ohio State. Something to be commended.

No problem with him at all. He actually does a great job in Ohio especially considering that football is the "fair haired child" at tOSU. Just because some of us (who saw the match live) say that Heflin drug his feet the whole match and should have been called for stalling earlier, doesn't mean we hate Tom's guts. Another "unfounded" statement silver. Besides, a healthy tOSU (or any team) means more competition. Sure, I would love to watch my beloved Hawks stomp Tom's team every time, but I appreciate a good dog fight on the mat more than anything. He's a former Hawkeye. He is just fine with me.

Ha the jumping didn't happen until the missed pin at the end of the match. It's not classy to jump up and down in the stands when you're yelling stalling because everyone already has their fist in the air. So you would ruin the view even worse.

Maybe those 2nd place finishes at NCAAs have something to do with it. Especially the one in '09 when the Bucks finished just 4.5 points back. And tOSU won the dual last year although the Hawks were favored. Maybe they see him as a used car salesman because because he's apt to slip one over on them.

Serial: I was merely commenting on the negative perception among Iowa fans towards Tom Ryan.

I was not linking it to the stall call against Heflin.

I disagreed with the call....but understand that Heflin left himself vulnerable by not wrestling more aggressively. I'll leave it at that.

Ha the jumping didn't happen until the missed pin at the end of the match. It's not classy to jump up and down in the stands when you're yelling stalling because everyone already has their fist in the air. So you would ruin the view even worse.

Yes, but you were talking hypothetically about what would happen if Mr. Headshuck was in the stands. 'Shuck is like the hootchie coochie man in that old Muddy Waters song; "Everywhere he go, he gonna make ALL the pretty women's JUMP and SHOUT!" And pretty women do attend duals at CHA, right?

Serial: I was merely commenting on the negative perception among Iowa fans towards Tom Ryan.

There are some Iowa fans that would boo their own mother if she was coaching the opposing team. I will have to admit that. I don't understand the logic behind it. But not all are like that.

Any other opinions? Where's rossel?

I already stated my opinion on this in the dual thread. tOSU looked like crap and didn't put forth any effort in the matches imo. The calls in the dual were as they almost always are in Carver, one sided.

Was it stalling? Yep. Will it be called that quickly anywhere else? Nope.

Sad, but true.

Brown can wrestle with anyone at 174 (or 197 in case you have forgotten) and I feel like he is 3-4 in that weight.

I know I am biased so I would think a #5 ranking would be fair.

Taylor hasn't beat anyone ranked ahead of him either ;)

PSU @ tOSU is the first chance Brown will get to win your respect. If he beats Heflin in his backyard without a questionable call from the refs, what will the haters say next?

I would rank him 3rd...If not for getting caught he'd be #1!!!

P.S. Remember the last time Evans opened up...Maybe he got caught!!!

P.P.S. My money is on Mr. Brown!!!

I would like to know why he would be #1 Please list his wins this year that would make anyone consider him number 1?

The getting caught things is absurd. You win some you lose some pure and simple.

Comments like this just make me laugh.

Sophomore Matt Brown (West Valley City, Utah) was impressive during the tournament as well. Ranked No. 3 at 174, Brown rolled to a 5-1 record, including two pins and a major, to take third place. Brown rebounded from a loss in the semifinals to roll through to consolation bouts, including a 10-3 victory over No. 16 Jon Fausey of Virginia in the third place match. Brown's 5-1 record moves his season mark to 14-1.

P.S. I hope that helps!!!

I would like to know why he would be #1 Please list his wins this year that would make anyone consider him number 1?

The getting caught things is absurd. You win some you lose some pure and simple.

Storley wants no piece of Brown in a rematch. Watch what Brown does to Storley in neutral...Storley can't even keep his head up straight for more than 5 seconds. Next go around, Brown will be smarter on top & win the match in neutral. Just remember, Ed Ruth's closest match last year was a 6-3 win over Matt Brown in the Scuffle. Rank him 8th please, I want people to overlook him.

Sophomore Matt Brown (West Valley City, Utah) was impressive during the tournament as well. Ranked No. 3 at 174, Brown rolled to a 5-1 record, including two pins and a major, to take third place. Brown rebounded from a loss in the semifinals to roll through to consolation bouts, including a 10-3 victory over No. 16 Jon Fausey of Virginia in the third place match. Brown's 5-1 record moves his season mark to 14-1.

P.S. I hope that helps!!!

So, Brown takes third place in a meaningless tournament halfway through the collegiate season and he should be ranked #1? hmmmmmm, ok. With that rationale I am now stating the entire Iowa team should be ranked #1 moving forward Viratas because the only losses that they have suffered they have been caught in an unfavorable situation.

I believe he's saying that had he beaten Storley, he would've beaten Perry as well. Thus beating the current #1. Just a guess.