Sign in to follow this  
maligned

Freestyle brackets are up for Pan Am Qualifier!

57: Ramos avoids Bonne.  He'll most likely have Pineda of Canada or Mejias of Venezuela in the semi's to qualify the weight.

65: Metcalf vs. Franklin Gomez in a virtual winner take all quarterfinal with no other legitimate threats in their half-bracket.

86: Killer...Herbert vs. Ceballos in the quarters--winner will have Salas in the semi's barring anything strange

125: very easy...Alpajon and Jarvis drawn into the opposite side.  Tervel just needs to be healthy enough to win 2 matches where he'll be heavily favored.

All told, it could be worse.  Mejias could be tough for Ramos, but I think he'll pull it out.  Gomez hasn't been the same at 65 as he was at the lower weight and I expect Metcalf to frustrate his offense and prey on his suspect gas tank.  Tervel is basically handed a berth.  

Downside...Herbert/Dake/Taylor/Ruth better start making plans to visit Mongolia and Turkey.  I don't see a recovering Herbert qualifying this weight tomorrow.

Agreed, not terrible draws. 

I can't wait to watch Bonne completely dismantle people without having to worry about Ramos.  Dudes are gonna fly.

Metcalf will have a tough match against Gomez..I think the only other time they have wrestled is at the Flo match under weird rules.  If he loses do we keep sending him to the qualifiers or let someone else take a crack at it?

Herbert comes out ahead if he make it to Salas and doesn't get hurt.  Not sure why we sent him right off of surgery, but maybe he is more ready then I think that he is. 

How healthy is Tervel?

I can't wait to watch Bonne completely dismantle people without having to worry about Ramos.  Dudes are gonna fly.

Metcalf will have a tough match against Gomez..I think the only other time they have wrestled is at the Flo match under weird rules.  If he loses do we keep sending him to the qualifiers or let someone else take a crack at it?

Herbert comes out ahead if he make it to Salas and doesn't get hurt.  Not sure why we sent him right off of surgery, but maybe he is more ready then I think that he is. 

How healthy is Tervel?

Tervel is fine. He just wrestled and looked like his old self.

I need to watch Metcalf vs Gomez again. On paper, Metcalf should be a big favorite

Are the actual brackets posted anywhere? Just checked track and UWW's site to no avail.

How about Montero Chirinos (VEN), the guy who beat James Green last week. Is he a possible semi matchup for Metcalf or is he on the other side of the bracket? Thanks.

Are the actual brackets posted anywhere? Just checked track and UWW's site to no avail.

How about Montero Chirinos (VEN), the guy who beat James Green last week. Is he a possible semi matchup for Metcalf or is he on the other side of the bracket? Thanks.

I think that was more Green having issues than Chirinos being a threat to Metcalf. I believe Chirinos placed 7th on juniors last year or something.

It is possible he has improved a ton, but that is a serious leap in one year. 

I think that was more Green having issues than Chirinos being a threat to Metcalf. I believe Chirinos placed 7th on juniors last year or something.

It is possible he has improved a ton, but that is a serious leap in one year. 

Chirinos also teched a bumped up not-yet-cutting Bonne.

Brackets are on Flo.  Click on FloArena to find them.  No legit contender is on Metcalf's side except Gomez.

Thanks maligned, duh, how could I not check out Flo? Go there pretty much every night anyway.

Yes.  Guzman of colombia will most likely be Metcalf's semi's opponent if he survives the Gomez match.  He's kept some matches close against interesting guys internationally before, but he hasn't gotten signature wins.  He got stuck by Molinaro last weekend.

Yeah, can't complain with the draws.

57: Wonder how much weight Bonne had to cut for this?

65: Wow, Chirinos, Garcia and Tobier all in bottom half of 65 bracket.

74: Lopez and Cnube have a good chance to meet in finals.

86: Espinal also has a good chance to make it to finals. Bottom half of 86 is loaded.

97: Small field, maybe Cortina and Robertti final?

125: Cuban and Canadian on top half of bracket.

How healthy is Tervel?

Metcalf beat Gomez 10-8 last year in the Pan Am semis.

Is there anywhere we can watch this?

UWW signed a new deal with Flo that puts this under their monthly or yearly subscription umbrella.  They don't do anything pay-per-view.  You pay for a month ($20) or a year ($150) to have access to all their events and video library.

UWW signed a new deal with Flo that puts this under their monthly or yearly subscription umbrella.  They don't do anything pay-per-view.  You pay for a month ($20) or a year ($150) to have access to all their events and video library.

That's too bad. 

A few thing on that Metcalf-Gomez match.

I'm a metcalf fan.

I hope Metcalf never represents the US again.  He did nothing for 4:30.  Even on the clock he did nothing.  Then down 3 with a minute left he still wouldn't take a shot for 40 seconds.  

He had 2 at the end and I can't understand them not calling it.  Gomez laid on his hip with both legs captured.  

Guys I hate when this happens every time Brent loses a bout.   He gave it his best.   That's Brent Metcalf, that's what he can do.   Lets not discount Gomez, a great wrestler in his own right, but Brent is just not the guy to get us going in the international scene.   Brent's a great guy, he's a very good wrestler, but it's just not going to be.  

I have stated all along I'm hoping Brent gets his Olympic berth, I want that for him more than anything.  But lets stop expecting Brent to be anything other than Brent.     

Freestyle scoring is terrible.  I just watched a guy get inside tripped to his back, the offensive guy caught his head and held him there for 5 seconds, and it's 4 points.  If a guy shoots a double and gets the guy to 89 degrees of exposure for .1 seconds it's 4 points.  I truly don't get why exposure is so rewarded, while actually putting a guy on his back is not.