Sign in to follow this  
maligned

Freestyle brackets are up for Pan Am Qualifier!

Yes

You can't bring yourself to root for US qualification today and an embarrassing defeat for Metcalf at Trials?  You'd rather no American get to wrestle in the Olympics (Molinaro included), then Metcalf get a win that helps him not one bit personally?

A few thing on that Metcalf-Gomez match.

I'm a metcalf fan.

I hope Metcalf never represents the US again. He did nothing for 4:30. Even on the clock he did nothing. Then down 3 with a minute left he still wouldn't take a shot for 40 seconds.

He had 2 at the end and I can't understand them not calling it. Gomez laid on his hip with both legs captured.

Classic case of where the guy who can beat all other Americans IS PROBABLY NOT the best USA representative on the world scene. Hoping Jordan Oliver can solve the Metcalf puzzle at the trials. It a shame Metcalf will have home mat advantage.

well I too think Brent is perhaps just burnt. Gomez still can rise, Brent has long since peaked.

all we can hope for is one of our young studs to beat him at Trials.

tough one for the U.S. 

but any U.S. fan on this board had to have been in Brent's corner today, we NEEDED this one.

While I don't support the Metcalf bashing as he was trying to earn us a spot at the Olympic games I do agree that it's time for him to hang it up and move on to coaching. He's not going to get it done for us internationally, and he's holding other guys back who I truly believe would have more international success. Still very disappointed/sad to see him lose today.

Atta boy Ramos! And after being down 9-0 Metcalf came back strong and imo won the match. How was that not a takedown and win for Brent on criteria?

Also it is truly sad that USA wrestling fans laugh at Brent's unfortunate loss and immediately say he should "hang it up". Gomez is the real deal folks. Show some respect for once

Turns out to be the terrible challenge which decided the match.  That is so clearly written in the rules to favor the offensive wrestler every time, you really just have to bail rather than trying the chest wrap.  Metcalf had some flashes of brilliance as always, but still letting the really good guys in on his legs far too easy by constantly stepping forward.

not sure how that wasn't called as two, but was a very exciting match besides that.  as for those saying metcalf waited till the end to do anything, i don't think thats true. I think gomez is just a much better wrestler technically and athletically, and for the first 4 minutes was not tired and had no issue out maneuvering metcalf. but when he got tired metcalf was able to take advantage. I think that is basically what happens in most of his matches too.