Sign in to follow this  
maligned

Freestyle brackets are up for Pan Am Qualifier!

Brent lost the match when he decided to go for a counter throw when he was already getting taken down and should have bailed and given up 2. then he stupidly challenges the obvious continuous motion and gives up another point. then he doesn't have a challenge to use when he clearly gets a takedown in the finals seconds that should have won him the match. ability wise he looked fine to me. those are the kinds of matches he wrestles. if it wasn't for the terrible tactical decisions, i think he wins, especially with Gomez clearly fading at the end. 

People have been calling for Metcalf to hang it up since the last Olympics but no American has since been able to demonstrate they are any better. 

pretty much same deal for Herbert. for as great as Salas supposedly is, he could only manage a 1 point win.

no result has been much of a surprise so far.

Turns out to be the terrible challenge which decided the match.  That is so clearly written in the rules to favor the offensive wrestler every time, you really just have to bail rather than trying the chest wrap.  Metcalf had some flashes of brilliance as always, but still letting the really good guys in on his legs far too easy by constantly stepping forward.

I still don't get why they gave Metcalf 1 point, maybe I have to see it again, but it didn't seem Gomez was fleeing the hold.

The Metcalf loss cannot be explained away by saying Gomez is good.  Gomez has done nothing at this weight, and his silver medal was 5 years ago in a different weight class.  I was rooting for Metcalf as both a wrestler and an American, but that was a bad loss from Metcalf against a guy he has beaten a few times.  

I also don't buy at all that Gomez beats everyone at 65 in the US.  

Brent got screwed on the 2, and Herbert lost a winnable match against what seems to be a very disinterested Salas as of late.  I don't see him medalling in Rio.

Those who say others would do better are entitled to their opinion, but Stieber gets a lot of points scored against him often, and Ruth is too unpredictable and defensively weak.  Oliver doesn't have enough international experience. 

Edited by Hubbard

Well, I guess things are going to get a little hectic here in about a month. We will have the trials and then turn right around and try and get and get 65 and 86 qualified. The first stop will be in late April in Mongolia, and then 2 weeks later in Turkey. Question is who goes? As far as today goes, I am very, very disappointed that Brent wasn't able to qualify. Both for us as well as Brent. But it is, what it is, so now on to April and the trials. Our only hope is that the best person emerges in these two weight classes, and then go to qualify at one of the qualifiers. I guess if there is a positive and least we got 57 and 125 qualified.

Wow. That one hurt. Still a huge Metcalf fan.

Cletus, where do you think he goes from here? For me this is even tougher to take than his countless losses at worlds.

Shiraz, it's a very bitter pill to swallow for myself and really, for all Brent Metcalf fans.   The writing has been on the wall and I'm not going to deny that.   For the past 3 years I've been reading on this board, Brent's going to win worlds, This is Brent's year, Brent's the #1 guy in the world, etc.   My opinion has been very different, hoping for the best, but realizing he just is not on the level of the elite.   I've been attacked, I've been ridiculed, I've even been threatened, all for having the foresight of no world level medals at 65 kg.   

Shiraz, from here I hope the fan base takes it easy on Brent.   If he were slacking off, if he were doing dumb things, if he were giving it less than 110% of his best effort, I wouldn't say a thing.   But that isn't the case.   We are watching the VERY best version of Brent Metcalf out there, right now, the weight class has been optimized for him, and the rules favor his style immensely.   I think we continue to support him and his dreams of multiple Olympic gold medals, but I also think we pull back from actually expecting him to get it done.   

I want the fan base to make no mistake, and to realize, Brent Metcalf is the type of wrestler we need in the USA.   We need more career, lifers like him.   We need more guys who seemingly have nothing else in life going on and all that matters is wrestling.   It's not for everybody, but guys like him inspire others (myself included) and they set the bar and the tone.   I'd like to see Pico , Steiber, and Kennedy out there trying to get the weight qualified, the rest of the way out.   Lets give Brent a break, lets allow him to lick his wounds, and to reflect on where he is and what he wants to do .   

If I could wish one thing for Brent, it would be an Olympic gold in Rio.  In fact, I'm wishing that right now.   

Shiraz, it's a very bitter pill to swallow for myself and really, for all Brent Metcalf fans.   The writing has been on the wall and I'm not going to deny that.   For the past 3 years I've been reading on this board, Brent's going to win worlds, This is Brent's year, Brent's the #1 guy in the world, etc.   My opinion has been very different, hoping for the best, but realizing he just is not on the level of the elite.   I've been attacked, I've been ridiculed, I've even been threatened, all for having the foresight of no world level medals at 65 kg.   

Shiraz, from here I hope the fan base takes it easy on Brent.   If he were slacking off, if he were doing dumb things, if he were giving it less than 110% of his best effort, I wouldn't say a thing.   But that isn't the case.   We are watching the VERY best version of Brent Metcalf out there, right now, the weight class has been optimized for him, and the rules favor his style immensely.   I think we continue to support him and his dreams of multiple Olympic gold medals, but I also think we pull back from actually expecting him to get it done.   

I want the fan base to make no mistake, and to realize, Brent Metcalf is the type of wrestler we need in the USA.   We need more career, lifers like him.   We need more guys who seemingly have nothing else in life going on and all that matters is wrestling.   It's not for everybody, but guys like him inspire others (myself included) and they set the bar and the tone.   I'd like to see Pico , Steiber, and Kennedy out there trying to get the weight qualified, the rest of the way out.   Lets give Brent a break, lets allow him to lick his wounds, and to reflect on where he is and what he wants to do .   

If I could wish one thing for Brent, it would be an Olympic gold in Rio.  In fact, I'm wishing that right now.   

Agreed, Cletus. Metcalf is a true inspiration. How many times has this man fell flat on his face but got right back up, only to be pushed right back down into the mud? A decade of failure on the international stage would have led a lesser wrestler to give up years ago, but Metcalf marches on unaffected.

Since he is such an iconic figure of the sport, I wonder if UWW would be willing to give him a litte ceremony in Rio. Sure, he won't win a medal there. But perhaps they could award him with a special commitment medal.  Nothing big, just a small ceremony before the (real) medal matches to recognise his dedication. 

Edited by Shiraz123

Congratulations to Franklin Gomez. If you go back and look at the match, he actually is the stronger and more aggressive wrestler for the first 5 minutes. He head snapped Metcalf hard, a lot of times and took more shots. Then looked like he ran out of gas right about 5 minutes.  

Can't get much of a tougher loss for Metcalf. To come all the way back like that (loved the front head lock), just to lose with that ending. Keep your head up Brent!

Like Jaroslav said, not real surprised. Welcome to World class 65kg.

I have to agree, big congratulations are in order for Gomez and team Puerto Rico.   Is He still training under Cael and the Nittany Lion wrestling club?  He looked great out there and he also did at worlds.   At 65 kg, I pull for him, even when he's up against USA (in some cases, like today, I was rooting for Brent).   

Shiraz brought up a good point, where does Brent go from here?  Obviously he gets everything tuned up for the trials and he does his best to get on the Olympic team, but he's done after this go around, isn't he?  I'd like to see him get into coaching and get started on that part of his life.   Michigan State, perhaps?  Is Brands on the hot seat, perhaps Iowa?   

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wrestling_at_the_2016_Summer_Olympics_%E2%80%93_Qualification#Timeline

2015 World Championships September 7–15, 2015 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png Las Vegas, United States[2]

Pan American Qualification Tournament March 4–6, 2016 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png Frisco, United States

Asian Qualification Tournament March 18–20, 2016 23px-Flag_of_Kazakhstan.svg.png Astana, Kazakhstan

African & Oceania Qualification Tournament April 1–3, 2016 23px-Flag_of_Algeria.svg.png Algiers, Algeria

European Qualification Tournament April 15–17, 2016 23px-Flag_of_Serbia.svg.png Zrenjanin, Serbia

1st World Qualification Tournament April 22–24, 2016 23px-Flag_of_Mongolia.svg.png Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia

2nd World Qualification Tournament May 6–8, 2016 23px-Flag_of_Turkey.svg.png Istanbul, Turkey

Two chances left.  Top 3 in Mongolia or Top 2 in Turkey.

Edited by GoNotQuietly

... Lets give Brent a break, lets allow him to lick his wounds, and to reflect on where he is and what he wants to do .   

OMG... how many times have I seen a post like this in the past two years?  Getting tired of letting him lick his wounds.  It's obvious that he can't get it done against non-USA competition.  Time to try a new horse.