Sign in to follow this  
maligned

Freestyle brackets are up for Pan Am Qualifier!

If Brent win s trails, which horse do you guys want to go try qualify the weight class?  

Interesting how that suddenly feels like a long shot, no? But in that case he would have earned one more try, I'd think. There's no easy path through that weight class at trials.

I am not an expert on any of this, but it strikes me as strange that Metcalf gets a hard draw and gets screwed on an awful call at the end of the match and gets crucified on here.  Meanwhile, Ramos gets an easy draw so he qualifies the weight, but Bonne destroys him and no one says a word.

If Steiber or anyone else is truly Olympic caliber, he will win Trials and do well enough to get one of the 5 remaining bids that are still out there.  I'm personally more discouraged by the fact that Bonne handled Ramos like he did.

I don't know if it will be Scott or Graff or someone else, but I'm leaning towards the belief that Ramos's streak of never losing at Carver Hawkeye is probably going to end next month.  If the bracket looks the way maligned has it in his 57kg projection thread, maybe we'll see Tadzhimetov over Ramos? Now THAT would be something.

57: Ramos avoids Bonne.  He'll most likely have Pineda of Canada or Mejias of Venezuela in the semi's to qualify the weight.

65: Metcalf vs. Franklin Gomez in a virtual winner take all quarterfinal with no other legitimate threats in their half-bracket.

86: Killer...Herbert vs. Ceballos in the quarters--winner will have Salas in the semi's barring anything strange

125: very easy...Alpajon and Jarvis drawn into the opposite side.  Tervel just needs to be healthy enough to win 2 matches where he'll be heavily favored.

All told, it could be worse.  Mejias could be tough for Ramos, but I think he'll pull it out.  Gomez hasn't been the same at 65 as he was at the lower weight and I expect Metcalf to frustrate his offense and prey on his suspect gas tank.  Tervel is basically handed a berth.  

Downside...Herbert/Dake/Taylor/Ruth better start making plans to visit Mongolia and Turkey.  I don't see a recovering Herbert qualifying this weight tomorrow.

where is wrestling match Gomez vs metcalf? i cant find this 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8Ckdq0thks

Interview from tonight with Brent. Absolutely worth the time (around 4 minutes, 30 seconds).

I'm surprised to see Brent make excuses and blaming others for his defeat.   

I'd really like to see him accept his result today, and figure out a way how to not go down 9-0 in the opening round of the tournament.   He'll probably fel silly later on when his emotions settle and probably wish he just took his medicine.   

Right, so the USA Trials come before both Mongolia and Turkey qualifiers. Guessing USA sends whoever wins the Trials at 65 and 86, no? 

The trials and Mongolia are too close together.  In 2012, we sent our best available (Bunch) to China to qualify 61.  We then had a special wrestle-off between the trials champ (Coleman Scott), the injured-during-trials 2011 world team member (Humphrey), and Bunch.

I'm guessing we'll (1) send whoever seems most likely to qualify all the weights (women need 4!) to Mongolia, (2) wrestle the trials straight-up minus the Mongolia reps, (3) send whoever makes the most sense preparedness-wise and physically to Turkey post-trials and post-Mongolia if need be, and (4) pick up the pieces with special wrestle-offs after the chips have all fallen.

For men's freestyle, I would expect the internationally tested Stieber or Metcalf to get sent to Mongolia at 65.  Oliver simply hasn't wrestled enough internationally to give any confidence that he could pull off a good performance in that sort of environment.  At 86, I suppose it depends on Herbert's health, but I'd imagine he'd be first in line to go to Mongolia if he's healthy. 

I am not an expert on any of this, but it strikes me as strange that Metcalf gets a hard draw and gets screwed on an awful call at the end of the match and gets crucified on here.  Meanwhile, Ramos gets an easy draw so he qualifies the weight, but Bonne destroys him and no one says a word.

If Steiber or anyone else is truly Olympic caliber, he will win Trials and do well enough to get one of the 5 remaining bids that are still out there.  I'm personally more discouraged by the fact that Bonne handled Ramos like he did.

I don't know if it will be Scott or Graff or someone else, but I'm leaning towards the belief that Ramos's streak of never losing at Carver Hawkeye is probably going to end next month.  If the bracket looks the way maligned has it in his 57kg projection thread, maybe we'll see Tadzhimetov over Ramos? Now THAT would be something.

The reason Metcalf gets treated worse is that he's had lots of chances under the spotlight to do big things for our national team and has struggled to come through.  But his ardent fan base argues and argues that he's world medal caliber because he finds a way to be our national team rep and because he's had some success in respected open tournaments.  

Ramos hasn't been around as long and no one tries to convince anyone that he's world medal caliber.  He seems to be a known quantity with a limited ceiling that we expect to lose to a guy like Bonne.  Metcalf beats guys like Gomez when we're not really paying attention and doesn't when we are.  [And he didn't get a bad draw.  Gomez is good, but he's not going to win a medal at 143 pounds outside of a very favorable draw.  He's usually got one good match in him at this weight, as demonstrated by his convincing loss to Valdes in the finals (Valdes just lost to Frank Molinaro--our #6 or 7--a week ago, so he's not a world dominator)].  

Edited by maligned

The calls for sending in someone else after our rep loses is tiring.  This isn't football where you replace a QB that starts throwing pics.  We know who our best guy is because we have tournaments that determine it.  We can also see the international results of all the contestants.  If Metcalf wins the trials, he need to go qualify the weight by himself.  He may not medal but why would someone else if he can't?  Accept the fact that we are not in the upper echelon at 65kg (or 57kg and 86kg).  When someone proves that they are in the top tier, we will all know it because they will be winning.

I don't think many here gave Ramos a prayer at beating Bonne, who was screwed out of a legit chance at World Gold in many of our minds.  People seem to think that because we have a bunch of NCAA all-time studs at 65Kgs, then we must have someone who is top 10 in the world, even though we clearly don't.  Metcalf gets the brunt of that dissatisfaction on here, IMO.  It's tough to argue that the Olympic bracket would be improved by having Contiguous-U.S.A. represented.  I definitely hope we qualify it, as we should, mostly because I also love watching all those guys wrestle and want to see that trials bracket play out

Edited by GoNotQuietly

Well according to the video interview of Coach Burnett after the Pan Am's, he was saying barring a weight or injury issue, that weights representative would be the person to go out and qualify the weight. So sounds like that unless the above happens and our we get a new person to represent us at 65 and 86, Brent and Jake will be going to Mongolia, and if they can't get it done there, Turkey.

So right now Brent has come off two tournaments where he hasn't had a good showing. So there is obviously a lot of speculation about if he can retain his spot on top of the ladder and then can he get the weight qualified. To me I think that the loss overseas could be considered as just one of those things, but now we have another loss should be a huge warning sign, Gomez was able to basically explode out to a huge lead and it wasn't until that Brent's ability to grind down Gomez's endurance that he was able to create so of his offense. I not sure what is going to happen in April but it looks like that Brent might be more vulnerable to a domestic challenge that he ha been in several years. We have a lot good candidates in this weight, but we just have to see who has a great tournament and comes away with the crown.

At 86. We are kind of in a similar situation, we have Herbert who appears to be in awesome shape, but there have been reports that he has had a injured shoulder, so I'm unsure how much that has been affecting him. Unfortunately Jake really hasn't been having any recent success overseas that I'm aware of. So like 65, we have a list of candidates that we'll have to watch and see if any of them can have a great tournament and become the guy.

Many may disagree with me but I think ( barring an unknown competitor showing up ), I actually think we are in better shape at 65, than we are at 86. Basically due to the recent success of Logan along with Pico, ( although he has been competing at 70 ), that plus we have Green a world Bronze, ( however, his two attempts at 65, haven't been what a lot of people thought it would be), and we have a quite a few of others such as Kennedy, Oliver, Humpreys and Molinaro. Now if Brent has lost a step and does not repeat as our representative, we should have a good chance of having someone step up and can get us qualified and doing well at the Olympics.

At 86, I know that many believe that Dake or Taylor, are the future, but if you look at their success overseas hasn't been as good or as recent as Logan and Pico. I know we also have a list of great competitors like, Gavin, Ruth, Reader, Foster, and others, but I think that whoever prevails I don't think their upside is as good as the guys we have at 65.

I don't think many here gave Ramos a prayer at beating Bonne, who was screwed out of a legit chance at World Gold in many of our minds.  People seem to think that because we have a bunch of NCAA all-time studs at 65Kgs, then we must have someone who is top 10 in the world, even though we clearly don't.  Metcalf gets the brunt of that dissatisfaction on here, IMO.  It's tough to argue that the Olympic bracket would be improved by having Contiguous-U.S.A. represented.  I definitely hope we qualify it, as we should, mostly because I also love watching all those guys wrestle and want to see that trials bracket play out

I'm not reacting to Ramos losing so much as the way it happened.  Obviously Bonne is elite... but last time Ramos was ahead 2-0 with 2 minutes left in the match before he got taken down, turned, and stuck.  So just expected a more competitive match.  

Anybody know why Dlagnev's first two opponents forfeited? 

Lopez of Puerto Rico withdrew after the draw to try his chance in Greco (he knew he had no chance against Dlagnev), but the Mexican guy got injured in his quarterfinal.