Sign in to follow this  
Buckxell

I blame Cael if we don't qualify 65kg

Gomez is known to eat American babies and fill our drinking water with lead and cobra venom.  He kidnapped the Lindbergh baby and shot Kennedy from the grassy knoll as well.  He has no birth certificate and no one has ever seen his transcripts and some have said he sacrifices coconuts to false idols in a mosque.  Death to Cael!

Gomez is known to eat American babies and fill our drinking water with lead and cobra venom.  He kidnapped the Lindbergh baby and shot Kennedy from the grassy knoll as well.  He has no birth certificate and no one has ever seen his transcripts and some have said he sacrifices coconuts to false idols in a mosque.  Death to Cael!

I think one of Gomez's great great ancestors was Benedict Arnold too.  And his parents considered naming him Judas Priest. 

I think we will get 65 in at the Olympics, so in some small ways, this might actually make us better.  The guy that qualifies us will be better and either he or whomever beats him should be much more battle ready. Similar to the scenario a few years back where Bunch qualified us, then Coleman Scott had to beat him and Reese Humphrey to make it. All three of those guys have never wrestled better and made each other better. 

Metcalf actually got hosed. If he hadn't blown his challenge earlier he'd have this locked up easy.  

Edit: this was ruled no takedown. It was close before, but this is unequivocally a takedown with time remaining. 

VnajyvW.jpg

Edited by GranbyTroll

1 point takedown without control....

Trolling 1/10

Gomez is flat on his belly, Brentcalf is all the way behind, covering both legs and even has a tighwaist. At full speed live it looked close, but in the review that's easily 2pt. 

This is my take on the Cael/Gomez situation. When I coached in high school, at my summer program I worked with ANYONE willing to show up and train hard. Several years, some kids from rival schools would come and I trained them like I would anyone else because they were good kids and they were dedicated to getting better; some years, more kids from other schools came than from my own school. One year when we lost to a rival whose kids I had coached all summer, I told my team to not dare whine about it because the kids from the other school showed up to train in the summer when they were too busy chasing tail and partying. Changed the attitude pretty quick for future years. Franklin is a quality guy and a fierce competitor; if he was willing to train with Cael and help out at PSU, more power to him. If anyone in country doesn't like it, maybe put in the time with the right people and quit whining, as Khuzin says, "like little American girl."

I agree with you regarding your coaching philosophy with your high school. I feel the kids that do the extra work in general do better, and the schools that get more kids to extra workouts and go to clubs do better in general. It's a numbers game on what program can get the most kids to buy in. In your example, the kids who didn't put in the work lost to the kids who did. But that doesn't necessarily equate to this example. Our Olympic hopefuls in this country live and train their whole lives for this moment. They put in the work. I just think our nations top coaches should focus on OUR top guys. Regardless of citizenship, Gomez is competing for someone else and is provided financial resources and coaching by Cael/NLWC (US). I'm against that.

Do you think Cael has been invited by anyone to work with Metcalf?  Do you think Metcalf has sought Cael out?  Is Cael supposed to go seek out Metcalf and beg him to work with him because it's for the good of the country?  I don't see why anything should be held against Cael or Gomez because Gomez, a U.S. citizen, was smart enough to seek out the best to prepare him for his dreams while others have sought other avenues.  JMHO

"...we're gonna be great again, and I'm gonna build a wall, so wrestlers from other countries can't train in Pennsylvania......"

"...It'll be yuuuuuuge.  And classy.  Real classy.  Did I mention I'm a very wealthy coach?  Hey, look at that man in the red singlet over there.  Stand up, look at that red singlet...."

Do you think Cael has been invited by anyone to work with Metcalf?  Do you think Metcalf has sought Cael out?  Is Cael supposed to go seek out Metcalf and beg him to work with him because it's for the good of the country?  I don't see why anything should be held against Cael or Gomez because Gomez, a U.S. citizen, was smart enough to seek out the best to prepare him for his dreams while others have sought other avenues.  JMHO

A Brands-trained then Cael-refined Metcalf would be a scary proposition.

I totally assumed this was a troll thread, or at least highly sarcastic:  Are we really honestly arguing about whether Cael Sanderson is somehow betraying the Continental U.S. by training Franklin Gomez?  Really?

Buckxell, I understand your argument, and I too have mixed feelings on it, but honestly, I'm becoming less and less patriotic the more and more I see all this illegal immigration flooding into America, changing the demographics, not assimilating, bankrupting hospitals, taking up about 1/3 of the federal prison population, and steadily dissolving the American culture. Nothing against the immigrant people, but is this really America anymore?

Instead of Team USA, it'll probably be Team Multiculturalism eventually. I keep hearing how the American culture is racist and bigoted (yet it seems like the whole world wants to come to this racist nation - go figure), and how great multiculturalism is. (BTW, why can't we Americans sneak into their countries, and get into their schools, and get free school breakfast and lunch, and require their teachers to take SSL (Spanish as a second language) courses and pay for it out of their own pocket? Why can't American families sneak into El Salvador, Honduras, Guatamala, Mexico, Pakistan, Bangladesh, etc. and get on their Medicaid, and food stamps and free housing? Their cultures are great, right? They're not bigots or racists, right? They'll happily welcome us Americans, right?) 

You can't expect to get away with that from other countries, because unlike the good 'Ol US of A, other countries are not going to promote a system where fat lazy uninterested or motivated people get freebies and handouts.   No sir.   Over there, they expect you to get after it or get hungry.   Our once proud nation is a nation of fat poor people.   Yes, poor people who somehow manage to stuff their fat faces with junk food.   And no matter how pathetic our country has become, it's getting worse.   Don't expect other countries to follow that model.  You'll have to stay at home for that lifestyle.  

'Merica! 

Metcalf actually got hosed. If he hadn't blown his challenge earlier he'd have this locked up easy.  

Edit: this was ruled no takedown. It was close before, but this is unequivocally a takedown with time remaining. 

VnajyvW.jpg

Do you have one with the official clock, and not just the broadcast clock   My understanding is the one we see was 2 seconds slow.  

Do you think Cael has been invited by anyone to work with Metcalf? Do you think Metcalf has sought Cael out? Is Cael supposed to go seek out Metcalf and beg him to work with him because it's for the good of the country? I don't see why anything should be held against Cael or Gomez because Gomez, a U.S. citizen, was smart enough to seek out the best to prepare him for his dreams while others have sought other avenues. JMHO

My argument was not to request that Cael coach Metcalf, it was simply that he shouldn't coach and fund an opponent who could prevent an American from Olympic birth. Maybe I am too patriotic. Coach, if you had a kid who trained and dedicated his whole life to winning a state title and at that rival school there was a kid who was on the same level or slightly more talented and at the same weight... Would you help him out with the same enthusiasm as the kid on your team? Take it a step further... Would you offer to help pay for his training at camps, clubs, etc? I hope not.

Unfortunately, one of the downsides to international sports in general is that successful coaches must become a bit like hired guns at times.  And the ones that truly love their sports often end up investing significantly in the relationships that mean something to them--even when those relationships cross borders--and especially when the opportunities of talented individuals appear to be somehow limited by circumstances.  The nature of the coach/teacher takes over some and it's hard to see past the individuals they care about and limit themselves to certain uniform colors when they see pliable pupils with untapped growth still to be had.

Do you have one with the official clock, and not just the broadcast clock   My understanding is the one we see was 2 seconds slow.  

Cletus, that's the first intelligent thought I've seen you post! Sometimes the Flo clocks do fall out of sync with the NCAA/UWW clocks and I didn't consider that. 

Unfortunately, I don't have a view of the official UWW clock. However,  I do have another shot of an arguable takedown that could have been scored on a challenge. 

C9vHYCI.jpg

Edited by GranbyTroll

Buckxell, one more for fun here.

How do you feel about Team USA hiring Segei Beloglazov (back in 2003?) to coach the men's American freestyle team along side with Kevin Jackson. I think there were strong mixed reactions to this hire on part of the American contingent. A top notch technician type coach from Russia to help the American team compete against the Russians?

My argument was not to request that Cael coach Metcalf, it was simply that he shouldn't coach and fund an opponent who could prevent an American from Olympic birth. Maybe I am too patriotic. Coach, if you had a kid who trained and dedicated his whole life to winning a state title and at that rival school there was a kid who was on the same level or slightly more talented and at the same weight... Would you help him out with the same enthusiasm as the kid on your team? Take it a step further... Would you offer to help pay for his training at camps, clubs, etc? I hope not.

False comparison.  Bruce Burnett is the head US freestyle coach, not Cael.  BB didn't bring in Gomez or Haslan Garcia or anyone else to take the place of Metcalf, JO, Stieber, etc.  Cael Sanderson is the head coach of PSU and the NLWC and he hired the best person who applied to round out his coaching staff for those associated with PSU and the NLWC.

Cletus, that's the first intelligent thought I've seen you post! Sometimes the Flo clocks do fall out of sync with the NCAA/UWW clocks and I didn't consider that. 

Unfortunately, I don't have a view of the official UWW clock. However,  I do have another shot of an arguable takedown that could have been scored on a challenge. 

C9vHYCI.jpg

near 15 seconds left from that position? plenty of time to leave the refs and the clock out of it. 

near 15 seconds left from that position? plenty of time to leave the refs and the clock out of it. 

Agreed.  

How anyone is going to try and make an issue of the final sequence, despite having had near 15 seconds to leave no doubt, is beyond me.   

Listen, I was puling for Brent 100% and as I saw his chances disappearing, whens the clock ticked down, all i could think was, he had 6 minutes to get this thing tied up, and here we are coming down to the final second.   If it goes against him, I can't be one of the complainers and excuse makers.   When I saw the official seemingly disregarding the near take down, prior to the clock expiring on the broadcast, it became clear to me, time had run out on the official match clock.   

Gurtfirst raises the same point I was feeling at the time of defeat.   With as much time as there was there to get things done, we can't then blame officials or the anyone else.   Brent had all the time in the world, and he chose to go down 9-0, to use up the challenge, to go at a pace lacking any sense of urgency, and if he fell 1 second short, I just can't sit up here and whine about it.    I'm just not going to do that.   

C9vHYCI.jpg

Damn!  Beat me to it.   I also hope to identify your first intelligent post on this board very soon. I generally skip right past your comments, not having ever found much substance in your posts, but I'm going to focus a little more and see if there is anything of value I can point to and congratulate you on.   

False comparison. Bruce Burnett is the head US freestyle coach, not Cael. BB didn't bring in Gomez or Haslan Garcia or anyone else to take the place of Metcalf, JO, Stieber, etc. Cael Sanderson is the head coach of PSU and the NLWC and he hired the best person who applied to round out his coaching staff for those associated with PSU and the NLWC.

If that's the case, then your original story of your coaching experience was a 'false comparison' to my initial message. I was just playing devils advocate, bro.