Sign in to follow this  
NJwrestlingguy

Rutgers 9 Qualifiers after day 1

The wind is at the back of the RU program! 9 and possibly 10 qualifiers, 1 finalist, top 10 ranking, top 7 in attendance, big ten, top 3 most fertile recruiting ground, great recruiting class ...

There is no reason why the program will not be a consistent top 10 program year in and year out. 

I  just hope Perrotti is healthy for one last run. 

Thank goodness for Goodale.  People need to get off his back.  He's doing something right there.

I really don't think anyone is on his back (anymore).  The team wrestles hard and the results are showing it.  Even fans who were critical in the past (I was one) quickly changed their tune after watching this team this season.  Even when these guys lose they go down swinging.  What is not to like?  This is a different flavor than past teams.    Grats to the coaching staff for putting together a great season so far.  It has been fun to watch as a fan.  

Edited by ironmonkey

Bad news of the tourney, from the RU boards.  Perrotti tore some rib cartilage and defaulted out and is doubtful for the NCAA tourney.  So disheartening to see, AP was wrestling great and is the heart the heart and soul of that program.  I was excited to watch his last run to a high AA. 

Tough break for Perotti.  he has been wrestling great and I thought he had a legitimate shot at placing highly at nationals.  I thought Isaac Jordan and Ringer were out of reach, but he could hang with and beat anyone else at 165 on a good day.  At the very least he would have had a great shot to get on the podium and along with Ash, potentially put 2 AAs in one year in the books for Rutgers.  It still could happen with the way guys like Lewis, Smith, and Gravina can wrestle at their best, but Perotti really looked like a sure bet.  I hope he is able to get healthy and compete by nationals.  

As a fan , i would ve been happy with 7 but with 10, i m over the moon pleased with their performance. There are only 3 schools that went 10 for 10, Nebraska, Okie State and RU.  Amazing, i hope they continue to make some noise in their backyard.  At MSG , I would considered 2 AA's as a success. 

I agree that getting 2 AA's at MSG this year would be success but of course Coach Goodale says "we cannot allow ourselves to be content with being there. It needs to be about getting our hands raised.”

I think if healthy Ashnault can possibly be a finalist and Perrotti can return to the podium as well.

Smith and Lewis have good shots to AA.  Gravina is a dangerous darkhorse who I think will pull a huge upset on somebody.

Of course this is wishful thinking before the pairings are even out...

Seven guys return plus 2015 qualifier Theobold - got to be happy about that

Seven guys return plus 2015 qualifier Theobold - got to be happy about that

DelVecchio also qualified last year at 133. next year there will be 5 NCAA vets at 3 weights. Del, Giraldo, Ash, Dip & Theo at 133, 141 & 149. Giraldo will almost certainly need to bump up, probably to 149 assuming Ash stays at 141. but even if Lewis goes up to 165 to fill the spot Perrotti vacates and Theobold goes up to 157 (which I'm not sure is the best move) its still leaves Giraldo and Dippery at 149. 

but depth is a good thing and it wouldn't be the first time a Big Ten team had a national qualifier caliber kid sitting on the bench. 

also just read Perrotti will be competing at MSG, though with little more details. sounds like he is cleared to wrestle but is still pretty banged up. hopefully he'll be in good shape. 

Guest ShannonSofield

Pretty solid recruiting in  NJ with like 4 champs from the recent New Jersey States coming to Rutgers.  Poor little Rider had their chance but at this point, they will not win the battle of recruits in NJ.

Rider won their (weaker) conference and are sending six to NCAAs. Rutgers will be not be beaten by them anytime soon, but they have always been able to get solid kids in the room, even when they didn't have 9.9.

Rutgers is definitely on the right path.  No reason they can't be a consistent top ten program with the proper support.

Rider does a great job, and they have a really solid staff.  Hangey is a great coach, and good guy.