Sign in to follow this  
Frank_Rizzo

Match of the year? (down goes Nolf)

First 2 periods was almost exclusively collar ties and snap downs from Imar, 3rd period and after underhooks. The waived off take down occurred in ride outs both after an escape and with a quick underhook(from kneeling position) to a leg attack. 

Nolf had three serious take down attempts in regulation but just couldn't convert all the way. Imar eventually got in deep near the end of the 3rd period, but Nolf ended up on top and in much better position while I mar held the leg ala Delgado. 

I Mar's 3rd period and OT underhooks looked to me to be aimed at tiring Nolf out, not aimed at generating a shot from that position. Congrats to him, it worked. 

Edited by TBar1977

First 2 periods was almost exclusively collar ties and snap downs from Imar, 3rd period and after underhooks. The waived off take down occurred in ride outs both after an escape and with a quick underhook(from kneeling position) to a leg attack. 

I think Martinez is going to be looking for that underhook next match from the first whistle. If this match happens again at ncaas, I think tds are going to be what decides it. Who's going to step up and score from their feet?

Perry's protest of the oob stalling call after a fierce scramble was right out of the Iowa lung time out playbook.

Imar also got jobbed by a stalemate call on a TD attempt when he had his head up and was actively peeling Nolf's legs off.

fixed that for you, Perry learned his tools of the trade in CHA, so ...

Am I the only one who thinks no takedown was the right call after the review?

If you look closely, Imar never gets around both legs (very creative scrambling by Nolf to keep him from doing so) and never gets control to the hip which could have negated the fact that he only had one leg.

Great match either way, can't wait for round III! Hopefully in the finals

I think Martinez is going to be looking for that underhook next match from the first whistle. If this match happens again at ncaas, I think tds are going to be what decides it. Who's going to step up and score from their feet?

I didn't realize this the first time I saw the match live this past wknd., but I Mar actually did to Nolf the exact same thing Nolf did to him the first match, and that is to say he executed a ton of hard head snaps. I was focused more on Nolf and it did not really set in my mind. Now Nolf also used those same snaps on I Mar.

The other thing I took from the match, and obviously some disagree with me, for two and half periods I Mar was anything but "offensive". He was wrestling defensively, imo. Not a big deal. Mega wrestles defensively against top guys. Lots of guys do, they have to at times. 

I agree Martinez was primarily defensive for the first 6 minutes.  I don't think he was at all confident in his gas tank over 7+ minutes against Nolf.  I think the early non-challenge by Perry helped keep Imar fresh.  I think Nolf was not that much more offensive, but he was a lot more active, and he may have worn himself out a bit.  I thought Nolf also tired over the course of the Smith match at Scuffle.  It is really hard to do that for 7 minutes to a guy who is comparable to yourself  physically and technically.  I would guess Nolf picks his spots a little better next time and uses his energy to score rather than to tire out Martinez.  I'd take Nolf to win the rematch because he seems more likely to score a TD.  But Martinez was so explosive on bottom, that he would be tough to beat in rideouts.  

Perry/Hunter?Martinez did a great job of strategizing and game-planning for the rematch.

And Martinez still nearly lost. Don't be surprised if one of those ankle-grabbing stalemates that Martinez had gets called as a td and back points against him at the NCAAS. There was one situation where I thought the refs were going to start counting when he wasn't able to completely roll through with the ankle and was stuck on his back. Kind of similar to the Askren vs Gavin NCAA final years ago. Refs are inconsistent on that call so you never know which way that's going to go.

I thought EVERYTHING Perry did behind the scenes was masterful.  As an individual wrestler, who wouldn't want that type of coaching in their corner?  He did what he was supposed to do.  He kept his kid confident and level headed.  He kept him to his gameplan.  He argued for him every time it was necessary. He knew what Martinez needed and did his best to provide it.  Remember that Martinez just lost his dad.  The Flo documentary showed how important his father was to his being motivated.  Perry looks to have found a way to be that substitute as much as one can be.

Also, I definitely agree with his questioning the stall call.  It is a BRAND NEW rule and the action never went completely out of bounds.  Martinez was trying to circle back in, without getting in bad position, but Nolf was blocking him off.  I highly doubt Perry thought it was solely an opportunity to give Martinez a lung break.  A stall call could have inevitably decided the match in rideouts and already having a warning changes tactics.  Every coach should question that in that situation.

Chasen, you sound rather bitter. You failed to mention the multiple times iMar was in on nolf's legs entirely. Maybe take off your glasses and re-watch the match when it's available on flo.

On the stall call, I can't agree with any of those calls when a wrestler stands up near the oob line and gets pushed out shortly thereafter. Obviously the wrestler was working since he got away, only to be penalized immediately for it. Terrible execution of the rule. That ref sucked 100%.

I have it on DVR from the BTN channel. I have no desire to watch that match again. Plain and simple as much smack as mar talks, he just slowed the match down and refused to wrestle the whole match. He knows what happened last time he tried and wrestle with Nolf. What do you think of Perry's total BS complaining to the ref to give imar a breather? Come on total cheap tactics and I refuse to root for any of that garbage. Can not wait til NCAA's. 

I have it on DVR from the BTN channel. I have no desire to watch that match again. Plain and simple as much smack as mar talks, he just slowed the match down and refused to wrestle the whole match. He knows what happened last time he tried and wrestle with Nolf. What do you think of Perry's total BS complaining to the ref to give imar a breather? Come on total cheap tactics and I refuse to root for any of that garbage. Can not wait til NCAA's. 

Those same tactics that gave Martinez a breather, gave Nolf a breather too. Yet he seemed to me to be more tired than Martinez in the Overtimes.  Nolf allowed Martinez to do everything he did.  Nolf allowed Martinez to work his head literally the whole match. He also allowed Martinez to control his wrists, underhook, and the ties for most of the match.  Nolf has very good motion and is a shoot, shoot, shoot kind of guy. BUT he needed to get off better angles, a faster level change or not allow himself to get tied up and even though he never got snapped, his lower back and legs had to have been weakened.  For all of the complaining of ankle grabbing, Martinez was very very close to lifting Nolf off the mat, but Nolf sagely grabbed his ankles, impeding his power.   Those are not cheap tactics, rather taking advantage of some situations that aren't clean. Both dudes did that in the match.  

That is one of the problems with just shooting, without other techniques and ties.  It can end up in stalemates and stuff if everything isn't just right. At least in a very savy wrestler.  Firemans and some other techniques may be more difficult to execute, but do have the chance for a clean payoff. 

I think Perry was originally going to challenge that Martinez was not out of bounds.  The ref immediately told him that he knew he was still in bounds and that the stall was for playing the edge, and not the auto call for going out of bounds.  

After this was clearly communicated Perry still managed to keep the ref over there for another 30+ seconds.  I am not sure how you argue a stall call and the coach doesn't get dinged.  

And Martinez still nearly lost. Don't be surprised if one of those ankle-grabbing stalemates that Martinez had gets called as a td and back points against him at the NCAAS. There was one situation where I thought the refs were going to start counting when he wasn't able to completely roll through with the ankle and was stuck on his back. Kind of similar to the Askren vs Gavin NCAA final years ago. Refs are inconsistent on that call so you never know which way that's going to go.

For sure, potential Olympians shouldn't be exposing their backs, and staying in that position for longer than back points.

Hopefully Brascetta beats Gantt later

The thing to me that really took its toll on Nolf was that IMar was working into snap down position with underhooks and Nolf refused to be brought down to his knees, so he maintained good position, but really had to work hard. This really took a toll on Nolf and by the end I was pretty sure IMar was going to win. Another thing that hurt Nolf was his own composure. Every time there was bllod time or a break from Imar, Nolf would motion or make a complaint through his body language, which suggested he was beginning to lose some of his composure. Not to the point of doing something dumb, but lost his concentration, if you will.

The competition has to be considered, and on that score I would not put Gantt as #1 seed.

Where Nolf and Gantt have common opponents, Nolf typically wins by more. Gantt beat Berger and beat Cooper, each by MD, Nolf won against each by TF. Gantt beat Walsh in SV 6-4, Nolf beat Walsh by MD 18-7.  Had Gantt wrestled Imar twice and Nolf twice, I doubt he'd still be without a loss. Different competition and different conference.  

#1 Imar

#2 Nolf

#3 Gantt

Would you not have to consider the head to head results between iMar and nolf as well? Would nolf's pin count for more than iMar's ot decision, or is that negated by account of iMar being the returning champ (I don't think this is facored in)? I would think nolf gets the nod as 1 and iMar 2.

Would you not have to consider the head to head results between iMar and nolf as well? Would nolf's pin count for more than iMar's ot decision, or is that negated by account of iMar being the returning champ (I don't think this is facored in)? I would think nolf gets the nod as 1 and iMar 2.

I would think pinning the undefeated, returning national champion, has to count more than decisioning the frosh, conference runner up. 

The competition has to be considered, and on that score I would not put Gantt as #1 seed.

Where Nolf and Gantt have common opponents, Nolf typically wins by more. Gantt beat Berger and beat Cooper, each by MD, Nolf won against each by TF. Gantt beat Walsh in SV 6-4, Nolf beat Walsh by MD 18-7.  Had Gantt wrestled Imar twice and Nolf twice, I doubt he'd still be without a loss. Different competition and different conference.  

#1 Imar

#2 Nolf

#3 Gantt

The fact that Martinez was dominated and pinned counts for nothing?