Sign in to follow this  
doubleleg121

What team ends up NCAA runner-up

PSU is gonna be hard to beat. The big race may be for runner-up.

Who will it be?

I think Mizzou is in the hunt for the spot. They have 8 for sure qualifiers all with AA potential, including Cox who I think wins then championship.

tOSU

I think tOSU has a good shot at it. 

Tomasello and Snyder are very possibly champions, both with a few bonus wins.

Bo Jordan will likely place 3rd or 4th

Micah Jordan has a good chance of being an AA. I think he could very well place 4th.

Myles Martin won't be champ, but could place top 4. Certainly an AA.

The rest are maybes - Dijulius could have a run like last year, Mark Martin could turn it on, Jake Ryan could pull off 1 or 2 upsets and place, etc.

They are not going to win the whole thing this year, but they have a solid team.

That is 5 AAs, with another 1 or 2 possible and that includes 2 possible champs. 

IOWA

Iowa is always in the running. They have a ton of solid guys, but no clear champions. 

Gilman is a potential finalist and will be 4th at worst

Cory Clark is a potential finalist that will be 4th at worst

Sorenson will likely place 2nd

Alex Meyer could place top 5

Brooks - same as above. It depends which version shows up. I think he will AA. 

Burak is very possibly placing 3rd or 4th

Stoll, assuming he competes, could be an AA

That is 7AAs, without too much of a stretch. 

Oklahoma State

Kilmara is likely to AA, although I'm guessing 6-8

Harding could pull off an AA, although he needs to be at his best in a tough weight class

Heil is the favorite to win at 141

Collica could AA, but likely not high

JoJo will possibly be as high as 3rd, but it is a stacked weight class. I am confident he becomes an AA

165 is a lock

Rogers seems hit or miss, but I expect an AA performance

Boyd - similar to Rogers. He may not place, but I think he will

Marsden - I think he AAs, but there are 4 guys that beat him every time I think (Gwiz, Snyder, Coon, Walz) so it depends on seeding

That is 8 (maybe even 9!) AAs, with 2 likely champs

In your dreams, scribe. 

Penn State won the Scuffle(over Ok State)  and Big10's(over Iowa and tOSU)  by their widest margins ever this year. Penn State will win the NCAA Tournament. 

PSU is the favorite, but it has nothing to do with the scuffle.  OSU has changed 40% of it's lineup since then (133, 157, 174, 197).  Additionally Boyd and Collica are in another world since the scuffle (Boyd is undefeated since then with 4 wins over top 10 guys, including Dean).  I think the very recent dual between the two teams is a much better indicator.  

I'm s vt fan but after yesterday's results, I don't think we are in the running for second this year. If brascetta was healthy I would put our name inn the hat. He looks like he is being held together with athletic tape but keeps scrapping nonetheless. Tough break for a tough dude

Penn St has a 80% chance of winning this thing.  If Nico places third-5th, Conaway misses AA, Nolf and Morgan M get 2nd or 3rd (Nolf has IMar and Kent State's beast, while Morgan has Cox),  Nickal chokes and goes down to 3rd, and the 184 misses AA, then Ohio State or Oklahoma State having a career weekend makes it possible.  Still, it appears that it is Penn State's to lose.   Still, as a Buckeye fan there are some things to take away should Ohio State get second or third.  One is that Nato could stay on pace to become a 4 timer, which would give OSU two (this will be very difficult though), and Kyle Snyder may be the best overall wrestler we have ever seen at his age. If Ohio State can't win it all, then those two winning still keeps a lot of prestige in Columbus.  

Penn St has a 80% chance of winning this thing.  If Nico places third-5th, Conaway misses AA, Nolf and Morgan M get 2nd or 3rd (Nolf has IMar and Kent State's beast, while Morgan has Cox),  Nickal chokes and goes down to 3rd, and the 184 misses AA, then Ohio State or Oklahoma State having a career weekend makes it possible.  Still, it appears that it is Penn State's to lose.   Still, as a Buckeye fan there are some things to take away should Ohio State get second or third.  One is that Nato could stay on pace to become a 4 timer, which would give OSU two (this will be very difficult though), and Kyle Snyder may be the best overall wrestler we have ever seen at his age. If Ohio State can't win it all, then those two winning still keeps a lot of prestige in Columbus.  

The hypothetical you describe would certainly open the door for one of the contenders to upset PSU for the team title but I would put that chances of that happening far lower than 20%. PSU is a very heavy favorite in my mind. probably closer to 95% or higher to win it all if I had to make a guess. 

The hypothetical you describe would certainly open the door for one of the contenders to upset PSU for the team title but I would put that chances of that happening far lower than 20%. PSU is a very heavy favorite in my mind. probably closer to 95% or higher to win it all if I had to make a guess. 

I would never make that bet.  80% is pretty high man.  That is almost a guarantee. 95% is a lock and there is just too many variables with Penn State, as compared to PSU when the guys were a hair more proven. We knew Taylor would win until Dake.  We knew they would pin.  Taylor and Ruth were locks.  I think Nickal isn't nearly the lock they were, though he has major league point potential.  The same could be said about even Nolf or Zain.  And Morgan has a very tough dude in Cox, while Nolf has IMar.  So the weights are tough were PSU is tough.  That is kind of why i hedge a little more.  The variable of the unknown is higher than two or three years ago. Plus both OSUs and Iowa could tag-team them per se.   Vegas never gives 95% odds....do they?  If they do it is to bait people into making bets.  

Bottom line: this is PSU's to lose, but its not quite a lock.  

Edited by Fishhook

Re: my earlier post.  Add Cornell.  

I'm s vt fan but after yesterday's results, I don't think we are in the running for second this year. If brascetta was healthy I would put our name inn the hat. He looks like he is being held together with athletic tape but keeps scrapping nonetheless. Tough break for a tough dude

Walz, Dance and Epperly are possible finalists.  Zavatsky, Haught, Brascetta and Chisko can all score.  Don't count your team out.  No one thought the Bucks could win it without Hunter Stieber.  

Re: my earlier post.  Add Cornell.  

Walz, Dance and Epperly are possible finalists.  Zavatsky, Haught, Brascetta and Chisko can all score.  Don't count your team out.  No one thought the Bucks could win it without Hunter Stieber.  

That really is not true, both MSU 158 and myself predicted the Bucks to win last year. 

I would never make that bet.  80% is pretty high man.  That is almost a guarantee. 95% is a lock and there is just too many variables with Penn State, as compared to PSU when the guys were a hair more proven. We knew Taylor would win until Dake.  We knew they would pin.  Taylor and Ruth were locks.  I think Nickal isn't nearly the lock they were, though he has major league point potential.  The same could be said about even Nolf or Zain.  And Morgan has a very tough dude in Cox, while Nolf has IMar.  So the weights are tough were PSU is tough.  That is kind of why i hedge a little more.  The variable of the unknown is higher than two or three years ago. Plus both OSUs and Iowa could tag-team them per se.   Vegas never gives 95% odds....do they?  If they do it is to bait people into making bets.  

Bottom line: this is PSU's to lose, but its not quite a lock.  

could be too high. i can see a couple of those things happening but not all of them. there's also a chance things could break on the positive side for PSU and it's an insane blow out. 

95% would be 1/20 odds to win. so yeah, maybe too high. 80% would be 1/4 though, and I still think that's too low. I'd say more like 1/10 or 90% 

I would think Oklahoma State will take the 2nd place trophy this year. If they still had their full line-up healthy and ready to go I might give them the nod over Penn State for 1st place even. But at present I think it will go Penn State, Oklahoma State, Iowa, NC State/tOSU/VA Tech depending on how individuals perform.