Sign in to follow this  
VakAttack

What was Gilman thinking?

Now that we (re: me) have had time to simmer on the Big 10 Semifinals, lets talk about possibly the dumbest move in the history of NCAA wrestling, not adjusting for context.  Did Gilman have some money on Megaludis?  Is that why he pulled Megaludis ON TOP OF HIM FOR THE WINNING EFFING TAKEDOWN?  I may never get over this.

Now that we (re: me) have had time to simmer on the Big 10 Semifinals, lets talk about possibly the dumbest move in the history of NCAA wrestling, not adjusting for context.  Did Gilman have some money on Megaludis?  Is that why he pulled Megaludis ON TOP OF HIM FOR THE WINNING EFFING TAKEDOWN?  I may never get over this.

I think what you are actually saying here is that you just want a legit reason to replace Gilman with Brooks in your avatar. Why fight it?

I respectfully disagree that gilman did the dumbest move ever. Sal mastriani gave up a late TD to the nc state kid with a few seconds left in the third period and then proceeded to lay on his back and throw a temper tantrum. The nc state kid dove on him for the pin. I wouldn't have believed unless I saw it.

I respectfully disagree that gilman did the dumbest move ever. Sal mastriani gave up a late TD to the nc state kid with a few seconds left in the third period and then proceeded to lay on his back and throw a temper tantrum. The nc state kid dove on him for the pin. I wouldn't have believed unless I saw it.

Your description made me laugh out loud. I need to witness this match. 

Leonce Crump did something similar at the worst possible time.  Got taken down in OT to Tommy Rowlands in the finals of national duals, pretty sure he just layed there and got pinned letting tOSU win the dual.  In OT.  Then they were up more than 3 but less than 6. 

Now my memory could be deceiving me but that's how I remember it. 

....or he forgot he was wrestling folkstyle and was looking for a chest lock exposure.

Yes, this is what I meant: a Beloglazov chest lock. That move isn't freestyle specific. It can be very effective in folkstyle wrestling as well. It's a very advanced hold so I'm not surprised that Gilman failed to execute it properly.

Gantry--your memory serves you well.  I was there and saw the same thing.  And the next morning, Crump went out and flat out beat frosh Steve Mocco.  Very few guys ever beat Mocco.  Rowlands--once.  Konrad.  And Crump.  Pretty sure that was it.

Tomasello was in the corner screaming at Gilman to try the double over pull.  Gilman saw someone short and thought it was Brands so he did it.  Only possible explanation.

I didnt read through all of the responses above to see if anyone had mentioned this but I am confident Gilman did that move because he was dead tired. Now before you jump all over me know that I'm not saying Megaludis was in superior shape all I'm saying is at that point in the match Gilman thought he had OK position and just went with it because he knew he didnt have another minute left in him. I dont know if it is possible to get Nico Megaludis dead tired because he doesnt do a whole lot of work against those top guys. He moves around making it look like he is active and he is so flexible that he can use his flexibility to fight off shots instead of burning energy. I'm not discounting every achievement Nico has ever had I'm just simply saying he doesnt have a ton of offense and he doesnt burn much energy fighting off shots.

didn't a kid from tOSU give Va Tech the dual last year with a lay on back in OT move?

a few other head scratchers  that come to mind over the years: Mena taking top in OT rideout vs Guerrero in NCAA finals, and Molinaro taking bottom vs Dake in finals (outcome not as directly impacted as some of the others listed, but still, really??).  

To me it looks like Mega tried to hit some form of a desperation "dump" and put Gilman on his hip, in turn Gilman reacted by trying to throw Mega out in front of him but it didn't work. 

I think he was looking to stall out by locking his hands over both arms and forgot Mega is very active (and scores often) from that position.

Edited by Zebra

didn't a kid from tOSU give Va Tech the dual last year with a lay on back in OT move?

a few other head scratchers  that come to mind over the years: Mena taking top in OT rideout vs Guerrero in NCAA finals, and Molinaro taking bottom vs Dake in finals (outcome not as directly impacted as some of the others listed, but still, really??).  

I'm not sure Mena made a bad decision. I see Guerrero riding him out there to win. When Guerrero needed to put on a strong ride, he almost always came through with it.

Vak, I think this is what he was going for. He was very off, but he tried. I think I heard from one of the Iowa guys from years past that Sergei Beloglasov was the international wrestler that Tom and/or Terry Brands admired the most ever.

Check this out:

Watch and learn something folks!

Vak, I think this is what he was going for. He was very off, but he tried. I think I heard from one of the Iowa guys from years past that Sergei Beloglasov was the international wrestler that Tom and/or Terry Brands admired the most ever.

Check this out:

Watch and learn something folks!

Nice!