Sign in to follow this  
VakAttack

What was Gilman thinking?

It's kind of funny.  When a PSU wrestler loses via an impatient, ill-advised shot in a stall-a-thon, "Welp, that's wrasslin."

When, the teams that wrestle that way, fall victim it's a travesty.

Nolf lost the same way in the finals at 157...That's wrasslin!

It's kind of funny.  When a PSU wrestler loses via an impatient, ill-advised shot in a stall-a-thon, "Welp, that's wrasslin."

When, the teams that wrestle that way, fall victim it's a travesty.

Nolf lost the same way in the finals at 157...That's wrasslin!

What are you even blathering on about?

Serious question, are you high? You're not making any sense.

Perhaps what is confusing is that I'm not commenting on what Gilman could have or should have done.

I'm saying that Megaludis used the tactic everyone accuses Perry/Iowa wrestlers of using...doing nothing thru 3 periods and overtime waiting for the other guy to become impatient and take an ill-advised shot.  Usually, the PSU guy makes the ill-advised shot and then PSU fans whine about the tactic.  This time it worked in Megaludis' favor.

Just an observation.

Yea PAnewb, seems to be Mega's MO in matches vs the elite guys.

Appear to look busy b moving around a lot, make 0 commitments to anything remotely related to an offensive move, block and fight off all shots and in the last 20 seconds finally try to set up a shot ORRRR hope the other guy makes a mistake and capitalize...being sure to leave little to no time left for any type of escape or counter.

Ironically, this DOES sound like a very familiar MO that a certain team in the past has been accused of having. hmmmm

Vak, I think this is what he was going for. He was very off, but he tried. I think I heard from one of the Iowa guys from years past that Sergei Beloglasov was the international wrestler that Tom and/or Terry Brands admired the most ever.

Watch and learn something folks!

That's definitely what he was going for, but I'm surprised he made such a basic mistake. The whole point of the move is to set the guy on his side by taking out any posts on that side first. Gilman hit the move way too high and while Mega had his arm wrapped around Gilman's leg, which is basically suicide.

Sergei was the man. A true legend. Interesting to hear about the Brands' admiration of him.

Edited by wrestlingnerd

I just saw this for the first time on FLO (a clip...not the entire match)...what was the score/match situation when he tried that?? If he was not about to lose if nothing changed, then it is a real wtf moment for sure.

Edited by Ari Gold

I don't care for Gillman's post match antics, but I'll give the guy some credit here.  He went for it.  Plain and simple.  He thought he could get the takedown with that move and had the nads to actually go for it.  Here's to you sir...

I just saw this for the first time on FLO (a clip...not the entire match)...what was the score/match situation when he tried that?? If he was not about to lose if nothing changed, then it is a real wtf moment for sure.

They were tied 2-2 when Gilman tried the ill-advised move.  The FLO clip you referenced gives a really good view of it (link below).  A poster over on the Hawk board said that Gilman uses that move near the out of bounds lines to throw guys out and get a restart.  FWIW, the video clip appears to lend some credence to that theory.

That said, the front body lock video posted by Big Mik is also a viable explanation.  In fact, Gilman may have been trying that lock, thinking that if he missed, they would just go out-of-bounds (i.e., both explanations may have validity).

http://www.flowrestling.org/video/934630-125-lbs-nico-megaludis-psu-vs-thomas-gilman-iowa

Now that we (re: me) have had time to simmer on the Big 10 Semifinals, lets talk about possibly the dumbest move in the history of NCAA wrestling, not adjusting for context.  Did Gilman have some money on Megaludis?  Is that why he pulled Megaludis ON TOP OF HIM FOR THE WINNING EFFING TAKEDOWN?  I may never get over this.

you don't know the Gilman cycle?

Experience moderate success => Run Mouth Immoderately => Embarrass Self 

Its played out about 1/2 dozen times. 

He definitely tried the chest-wrap, but Nico's base was way too stable when he threw it, and he wasn't able to pinch the shoulder blades together to keep Nico's hands off the ground, or to hip back over after he slipped underneath.  You really have to drive your feet into the base first to set this one up. 

Had it worked, the crowd would have went bezerk. As it turned out, we ask, "what was Gilman thinking?"

You say that as if Nico Megalaudis isnt an eel. He couldn't be chest wrapped by Gatsalov. Vak is right it was one of the most appalling breaks with reality in recent memory. 

Edited by hammerlockthree

Now that we (re: me) have had time to simmer on the Big 10 Semifinals, lets talk about possibly the dumbest move in the history of NCAA wrestling, not adjusting for context.  Did Gilman have some money on Megaludis?  Is that why he pulled Megaludis ON TOP OF HIM FOR THE WINNING EFFING TAKEDOWN?  I may never get over this.

Vak, maybe it's just that your avatar is like the SI cover jinx.  Remember what you did to Evans?.....winking0001.gif

I second this.  When I saw it happen in real time I felt like I must have misunderstood the scoring situation because it made absolutely no sense