Sign in to follow this  
silver-medal

Minny at Ohio State

Friday Night in Columbus. I imagine it will look something like this:

125--Thorn v Triggas (pick-em)

133--C. Dardanes v Visconti (probably no logan so Minny heavily favored)

141--N. Dardanes v Hunter (Bucks lightly favored)

149--Ness v Tessari (pick-em)

157--Zylverberg (sp) v Demas (Bucks lightly favored)

165--Yohn v Martin (Minny favored)

174--Storley v Heflin (pick-em)

184--Steinhaus v Magrum (Minny favored)

197--Schiller v Camp (Bucks lightly favored)

Hvy--Nelson v Capone (Minny favored)

If Logan wrestled, this would be a pretty tight match but I doubt we'll see him. Where Minny is favored--133, 165, 184 and Hvy--they're going to win. Ohio State on the other hand will have to fight hard for every victory.

Questions--Ness and Thorn defaulted out of Scuffle. Are they healthy? Will Minny be flat after a two week layoff? I listed three matches as "pick-em." Bucks would have to win all three--125, 149 and 174--plus win at 141, 149 and 197. That's their path to victory. Not likely but not impossible.

Thorn - was out sick, came back and lost in a fury. If he gets back to 100% I think he's an AA

C. Dardanes - 1 loss in Scuffle final. AA

N. Dardanes - Some good wins, some tough losses. Round of 12.

Ness - been out with the exception of the Scuffle. Not himself. Big questionmark.

Zilverberg - Finally back from injury, seems to have locked up the spot. Round of 12.

Yohn - Same as last year. Round of 12 to AA if he pulls it together.

Storley - One OT loss to #1 Perry. High AA.

Steinhaus - One close loss to Bosak. High AA.

Schiller - Two close loses to Wright and Haynes. Round of 12 to longshot AA.

Nelson - One OT loss. High AA to champ.

Overall, if Thorn and Ness come around, I think we're stronger than last year.

I wonder if the "flatness" you're seeing is the team knowing they haven't been at 100%?

Triggas looks significantly improved as even in his AA season he was always a bit of a toss up with anyone ranked in the top 20, while this year he has been relatively consistent and looked relatively solid vs. McDonough.

Camp's loss to Burak was so aberrant to his previous results from this year (13-1 over Haynes, 12-6 over Meeks, 10-4 over Polizzi even after Burak) that I'm hoping it could be something he has/will overcome. If that is the case then there should be some separation between him and Schiller.

Ness and Tessari will end in a fall for whoever is in better shape.

Preview article of the dual at http://www.ohiowrestlingsite.com

Thanks for the link. Good analysis. I'm not sure why you're thinking C. Dardanes isn't wrestling as well as last year. He's 10-1 with a 1 pt loss to Morrison who he defeated earlier in the year. I agree Steiber is likely to get the win but I can't see a major. In that case, we're knotted up at 15.

Preview article of the dual at http://www.ohiowrestlingsite.com

Thanks for the link. Good analysis. I'm not sure why you're thinking C. Dardanes isn't wrestling as well as last year. He's 10-1 with a 1 pt loss to Morrison who he defeated earlier in the year. I agree Steiber is likely to get the win but I can't see a major. In that case, we're knotted up at 15.

Fair enough. Based on last year (which obviously included C.Dardanes beating Logan) there is no reason to believe that it will be a major. Call it a hunch based on what I've seen. Two years ago in freestyle, Stieber handed it to both Dardanes brothers multiple times and I believe that those matches will be more indicative of the gap between them as I think Logan is much better this year, but that's strictly opinion. As for why I didn't think Dardanes was wrestling quite as well, it's not only the Morrison loss but the loss to Schopp at the All-Star. Both are very good, but Dardanes wouldn't have lost to either last year. I realize that the Schopp loss isn't official but it still happened. Of course, all this assumes that Stieber wrestles, which I'm not certain of as of now.

Glad you liked the article.

J Robinson will not travel this weekend due to knee injury.

I don't even know how to react. I am 34 years old and have been following the Gophers for about 28 of those years. This might be the first official injury report that I have ever heard from that program.

J Robinson will not travel this weekend due to knee injury.

I don't even know how to react. I am 34 years old and have been following the Gophers for about 28 of those years. This might be the first official injury report that I have ever heard from that program.

He has an infection, to be specific. Makes a little more sense.

Love the announcers - 149 was a "contested bout" - no it was a major decision

"Tessari looking for a pin here", as the bout begins.

149...was an excellent match.....LOTS of get after it wrestling. Ness was simply better/stronger.