Sign in to follow this  
rlw028

Defaults

Should defaults count as losses in conference tournies? I know most if not all of these guys are injured, but if it becomes a trend where it doesn't hurt your seed, why wrestle vs anyone who can possibly beat you if you can protect your seed? 

Or make the rule uniform across the board. Count all defaults as a loss and if you default from a qualifier, you go in unseeded.

I don't necessarily think you need to be unseeded, but Mayes defaulting for 3rd at MACs but still getting a 3 seed is troubling to me.

I have no reason to believe he "faked" anything, but I'm thinking down the line where some might find it beneficial to not wrestle. 

Of course it is beneficial to not wrestle. If someone dings their knee, elbow, ankle, whatever in the conference semis, why wrestle the finals if seeding won't be hurt. Count all defaults or med forfeits as a loss and include it in seeding criteria.

Of course it is beneficial to not wrestle. If someone dings their knee, elbow, ankle, whatever in the conference semis, why wrestle the finals if seeding won't be hurt. Count all defaults or med forfeits as a loss and include it in seeding criteria.

Would you be ok with an unseeded Ian Miller, then? 

I'm more inclined to agree with KCMO2, that some degree of subjectivity is useful.

You don't have to make them automatically unseeded if they default, but you do need to count a conference tournament default like a loss.  I am fine with seeding a wildcard.  Miller should be looked at like he has 3 losses, and you should seed him accordingly.  But you can't let him in the tournament but disqualify him from a seed and draw him into the 1st round on a kid who earned a seed.