Sign in to follow this  
restlefan

NYC Restaurant and Pub List Thread

Cheapest drinks and food you will find in NYC will be in Murray Hill (28th - 40th Streets on 3rd Ave).   Food is good but not your trendy/overpriced one would expect.   Very walkable from MSG.   Within those 12 blocks you will find roughly 20+ bars and restaurants.   At night the crowd will be 22-30 year old who live on mommy and daddy dime or a budget.

Living in NYC myself, best advice I think I could give is to not hang out right around MSG. You're sitting on top of Penn Station... buy a metro card and go somewhere else or jump in a cab. 

There are too many great spots in Manhattan for me to list though... so if you must stay around MSG, here are a few spots that I'm a fan of:

1 - The Pennsy

Best food you'll get right by the Garden.  Food hall set up, some great spots plus bar.  Adjacent to MSG. http://www.thepennsy.nyc/

2 - The Breslin

Solid english bar/restaurant.10 min walk.  thebreslin.com

3 - The Cannibal

Great spot for meat and good beer. Adjacent to a decent belgian restaurant as well. 15 min walk.  http://www.cannibalnyc.com/

4 - Keens

If you want good steak nearby.  keens.com

Like others here I highly recommend hopping on a subway and getting out of the MSG area if possible. I'll stick to my ~20 year neighborhood of the Upper West Side which you can get to by taking the 1 train (which you will find right under MSG) north. The following places are within a block of the subway stop that I mention - in all but one case you can literally see the sign when you come out from underground. I'm focusing more on having a few beers and maybe a quick bite vs. fancy sit down dinner. Here you go:

79th St Stop:

1. Blondies - 79th betw/ Broadway/Amsterdam south side of street. Super friendly neighborhood/sports bar.Top 5 best wings in the city IMO. 

2. Dublin House - 79th betw/ Broadway/Amsterdam north side of street across from Blondies - old school Irish Pub w/ old school 

Irish bartenders especially the owner Mike. No food here - this place is for drinkers only. 

86th St stop:

The Parlour - 86th betw/ Broadway and West End Ave. Spacious Irish Pub w/ decent pub food. Pool table, darts etc. 

96th St stop:

Dive Bar - 96th/Amsterdam. Friendly neighborhood what the name says place but without too divey or too faux divey if you get my drift.

Plenty more where these came from but I chose them because they're super close to 1 train subway stops and for the most part none of them draw a young frat boy crowd (I'm assuming that's a good thing?). One thing that throws a unique spin on these and other neighborhood/sports bars and Irish Pubs (my favorite type of bar) is that the NCAA's start on St. Patrick's Day and the first round of the NCAA hoops tourney. That will definitely bring a bigger and different crowd into these bars which is somewhat unfortunate. 

My main advice is the same as some others - try get on a subway and get to a more residential neighborhood. The MSG area and the Port Authority area a few blocks north are crowded transportation and skyscraper office building hubs that are important and quintessential NYC neighborhoods but also have the NYC downside of crowds and noise (if this was 1975/85/90 I'd list crime too but that is just not the case nowadays) . I've sent you few subway stops north of MSG but you can go a few subway stops south to the Village and see great neighborhood as well. Or continue further south to SOHO or Tribeca. The point - try to get away from midtown if you have the time just to experience something different. 

^^^ A few stops further on the 1 train takes you to 116th street - right at the front gates of Columbia University.  The McKim, Meade and White designed campus is not too big, but a real gem, worth a look around if you want a little walkabout.  You'll find enough choices around there for eats and drinks, too, mostly on Broadway from 116th down to 110th or even 106th.  Real college town neighborhood, very different from Midtown.

Edited by redblades

From a NY-er

1) Korean BBQ is great , dont be afraid

2) Burgers - Bare Burger (46th Street/ 8th ) 5 Napkin Burger (44th / 9th ) & Shake Shack (44/8)

3) Avoid all Famous Rays, Original Rays , the Dollar Pizza places are ok - you pay for what you get .  pizza is ok in my opinion in nyc , just think how many 3 dollar pizza's you need to sell to pay for rent so ....

4) Steaks - Quality Meats (58/6) , DelFrisco s ( 55/6) , Smith Wolesnkys - all high end but very good
5) Italian - Malaparte (Hudson & Bethune - great prices and amazing food - down in West Vill , prb my fav restaurant in all of nyc - $18 -$22 entrees) , Da Andrea ( Union Sq ) - in my opinion they are are the best value in all of nyc , great italian 

6) Bagels - Murrays Bagels & Ess-a Bagels - are the best in NYC , Pick a bagel is very good too and close to msg

7) Ramen - Totto Ramen - very cool but long line.  there is a lenny's on teh same block as msg but its a chain bagel jt

8) Mexican - Anejo (hells kitchen ), Burrito Box (Columbus Circle) Taqueria (one of the best , sorta a "speak easy" in the back of a bodega but awesome

9) Hells Kitchen - Taboon, medi wine bar , sports bar - brickyard , beer bar - valhalla

10 ) Surrounding MSG - best bar in my opinion is American Whiskey

If you gave time get out of Midtown! take a subway and head to west vill, union sq, tribecca.  they are all easy subways ride aways.  dont be afraid of the subways, very simple to navigate and not dangerous at all.  just keep your head on a swivel.  If you dont want to head downtown , go to Hells Kitchen.  It is completely gentrified and tons of diff bars and restaurants.  the other close option is Midtown (50's between 5 & 7th ) .  all  the restaurants in this area are all very god but cater to the corporate card and tourists so be prepared to pay up. 

Hit me up if you have q's.  I ve been living in nyc for over a decade now

redblades - great call. Was going to include Columbia's campus but ran out of steam. Beautiful urban campus. 

If you want to focus on more of a walkabout sight seeing tour vs. hitting the bars I recommend an upper upper west side tour of Columbia's campus, CCNY's campus, Riverside Church and Grant's tomb.

jvsuperstar, I lived at 107th and Amsterdam for about 10 years, before getting married, kids, and the little house in the 'burbs.  Miss the old neighborhood, though.  Been to all the places you listed above, I'd agree, all great hangouts!

BTW, what happened to the "Broadway Dive"?  used to be one of my spots, great place, throw the peanut shells right on the floor.  Cannons Pub is gone, too.

Add to list of things to see around Columbia - one Avenue east, about 112th and Amsterdam - Cathedral of St. John the Devine - Beautiful gothic cathedral, largest in the US, said to be 4th largest in the world.  Right across the street is a decent little italian place, and next to that the Hungarian Pastry Shop - great coffee and desserts (if you don't need to make weight), tables outside if the weather is nice.

John 79... What is the best, most authentic Korean BBQ.  I have lived in Asia for 14 years (various parts), and went to a great Korean BBQ in NY City years ago.... but can't remember the name.  It had 3 floors.  Your advice is greatly appreciated.  Thanks. 

From a NY-er

1) Korean BBQ is great , dont be afraid

2) Burgers - Bare Burger (46th Street/ 8th ) 5 Napkin Burger (44th / 9th ) & Shake Shack (44/8)

3) Avoid all Famous Rays, Original Rays , the Dollar Pizza places are ok - you pay for what you get .  pizza is ok in my opinion in nyc , just think how many 3 dollar pizza's you need to sell to pay for rent so ....

4) Steaks - Quality Meats (58/6) , DelFrisco s ( 55/6) , Smith Wolesnkys - all high end but very good

5) Italian - Malaparte (Hudson & Bethune - great prices and amazing food - down in West Vill , prb my fav restaurant in all of nyc - $18 -$22 entrees) , Da Andrea ( Union Sq ) - in my opinion they are are the best value in all of nyc , great italian 

6) Bagels - Murrays Bagels & Ess-a Bagels - are the best in NYC , Pick a bagel is very good too and close to msg

7) Ramen - Totto Ramen - very cool but long line.  there is a lenny's on teh same block as msg but its a chain bagel jt

8) Mexican - Anejo (hells kitchen ), Burrito Box (Columbus Circle) Taqueria (one of the best , sorta a "speak easy" in the back of a bodega but awesome

9) Hells Kitchen - Taboon, medi wine bar , sports bar - brickyard , beer bar - valhalla

10 ) Surrounding MSG - best bar in my opinion is American Whiskey

If you gave time get out of Midtown! take a subway and head to west vill, union sq, tribecca.  they are all easy subways ride aways.  dont be afraid of the subways, very simple to navigate and not dangerous at all.  just keep your head on a swivel.  If you dont want to head downtown , go to Hells Kitchen.  It is completely gentrified and tons of diff bars and restaurants.  the other close option is Midtown (50's between 5 & 7th ) .  all  the restaurants in this area are all very god but cater to the corporate card and tourists so be prepared to pay up. 

Hit me up if you have q's.  I ve been living in nyc for over a decade now

John 79... What is the best, most authentic Korean BBQ.  I have lived in Asia for 14 years (various parts), and went to a great Korean BBQ in NY City years ago.... but can't remember the name.  It had 3 floors.  Your advice is greatly appreciated.  Thanks. 

Little India aka Currry Row at 6th st and 1st avenue. Tons of selections. Live music in some cases. All cheap because they compete with one another.

I highly recommend Banjara for Indian food in NYC, by far the best i've ever had.   

100 2nd Ave

New YorkNY 10003

b/t 6th St & 5th St 

East Village

I posted some of this on another thread.

Living around 20 min. from Manhattan my wife and I go into the City quite a bit.

Here are some recomendations:

A.Places close to The Garden:

1.Triple Crown on 7th Ave.

2.Mustang Harry's on 7th Ave

3.Mustang Sally's on 7th Ave

B.A bit of a walk, but worth it:

1.Virgil's BBQ  on 44th near Times Square (Their house ale goes with anything on the menu)

2.O'Flaherty's Ale House on 46th Street (Restaurant Row)

Places we're  not thrilled with:

1.Shake Shack

Always has a line out the door.

Its O.K.,but ,not worth a long wait.

2.Chains

You can go to Olive Garden ,Fridays etc. anywhere

As you can see from the posts,there are many great places to eat in The City.Take advantage of it.

Just my $.02

Edited by rpbobcat

What is the absolute best italian restaurant in the city (not just close to MSG)?  I'm a veal fan myself and want to take the wife to a legit italian joint that's not in Little Italy.  Doesn't have to be super expensive, but a nice "date night" restaurant before a broadway show.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Godfather, shouldn't you know?

Probably Il Mulino in Greenwich Village.

Del Posto and Al Fiori, both closer to MSG, are also great. All very expensive.

Edited by NJDan