Sign in to follow this  
MSU158

Best No Redshirt performances

With all the talk about Dake not redshirting I would like to see how many 4x AA's there have been who did not redshirt. Did they do it wrestling 4 years in a row starting immediately after graduating High School without deferring a year or "Greyshirting"? In addition, did they do the youth redshirting? I am very impressed with Logan Storley coming out as a True Freshman and now as a True Sophomore. However, I noticed he is born in September of 1992. So he essentially did the youth redshirt. Does that tarnish anything? How about Megaludis? Does he fit all the criteria?

Knowing how hard it is to walk into a DI room as a true freshman, to actually be one of the best in the Nation that quickly at 18 years of age amazes me.

You are wrong about Storley having a youth redshirt. He was 18 when he graduated high school, turned 19 his freshman year of college, and is now 20 as a sophomore.

I had to check on this one before posting: Current Michigan assistant coach and former Wisconsin 4x AA and 2x champ Donny Pritzlaff did not redshirt.

Donny was a 4x NJ state placewinner and 3x champ, going 5, 1, 1, 1 from 1994-1997. Then at Wisconsin, he went 6, 5, 1, 1 from 1998-2001.

His is a particularly impressive career because he wrestled in the upper middleweights (165), where true freshmen often struggle the most due to the depth of ranked upperclassmen.

With all the talk about Dake not redshirting I would like to see how many 4x AA's there have been who did not redshirt. Did they do it wrestling 4 years in a row starting immediately after graduating High School without deferring a year or "Greyshirting"? In addition, did they do the youth redshirting? I am very impressed with Logan Storley coming out as a True Freshman and now as a True Sophomore. However, I noticed he is born in September of 1992. So he essentially did the youth redshirt. Does that tarnish anything? How about Megaludis? Does he fit all the criteria?

Knowing how hard it is to walk into a DI room as a true freshman, to actually be one of the best in the Nation that quickly at 18 years of age amazes me.

You are wrong about Storley having a youth redshirt. He was 18 when he graduated high school, turned 19 his freshman year of college, and is now 20 as a sophomore.

In Michigan he would absolutely have been too old by almost 3 months! What state did he first start school in?

I did not realize that this is regulated by individual states. I thought there was a uniform federal requirement. The cutoff date for entry into kindergarten in Michigan is Dec 1. I looked through the US Department of Education and apparently 25 states, including North Dakota have an earlier cutoff date before or on Sept.2 So when I noticed his age he is nearly 3 months older than ANYONE in Michigan would be for his grade year. So if he was in Michigan or 17 other states he would have HAD to be held back a year or "Youth redshirted". Two states do not even have a cutoff date and 5 allow the local school district to decided if the child is age appropriate.

Very surprising that this is not uniform throughout the country.

In Michigan he would absolutely have been too old by almost 3 months! What state did he first start school in?

I did not realize that this is regulated by individual states. I thought there was a uniform federal requirement. The cutoff date for entry into kindergarten in Michigan is Dec 1. I looked through the US Department of Education and apparently 25 states, including North Dakota have an earlier cutoff date before or on Sept.2 So when I noticed his age he is nearly 3 months older than ANYONE in Michigan would be for his grade year. So if he was in Michigan or 17 other states he would have HAD to be held back a year or "Youth redshirted". Two states do not even have a cutoff date and 5 allow the local school district to decided if the child is age appropriate.

I think you'd find even in Michigan it is the parents discretion. For example, I would expect many kids born in October will not start Kindergarten that year they turn 5. Many parents would hold a kid this age back for them to start the next year.

Your statement that he is nearly 3 months older than ANYONE in Michigan would be for his grade is thus likely not correct.

Also, seems like many in Michigan feel this way (Dec 1 cutoff is too late).

http://news.yahoo.com/michigan-house-ap ... 00629.html

When i was in school December 31 was the cutoff date, i was born on Dec 14, so i was always the youngest in my class since i started school at 5. I have no problem with parents holding kids out one year before they are eligible to start school.

Oklahoma has a waiver procedure for students who would turn 20 before graduating their senior year. I coached a pair of twins whose mother held them out of kindergarten the first year the were eligible because they were so small. Later they moved from Connecticut to NJ where they lost a year and repeated a grade. Because them being held back not for athletic reasons they were granted eligibity their senior year.

Every case and state's rules can be different, don't throw a blanket judgement because someone is a year older than most students in their grade.

An example maybe the Dixon triplets in Oklahoma who are undefeated as juniors. I talked to them last week for the first time. They were held back a year because Chinese was their first language, they didn't speak English well enough to attend school. Their mother had their youngest sister then them all in the same year. The mom had to go to work so the family could feed all six kids. They hired a Chinese lady to take care of them during the day, she spoke only Chinese which they learned from her. That will be an interesting hearing if they need one to be eligible next year.

[table] [tr] [td]

YOUNGEST EVER NCAA WRESTLING CHAMPIONS

[/td] [/tr] [tr] [td]

Season

[/td] [td]

Wrestler

[/td] [td]

[/td] [/tr] [tr] [td]

[/td] [td] Milkovich, Pat[/td] [td]

[/td] [/tr] [tr] [td]

[/td] [td] Lange, Lowell[/td] [td]

[/td] [/tr] [tr] [td]

[/td] [td] McIlravy, Lincoln[/td] [td]

[/td] [/tr] [tr] [td]

[/td] [td] Caruso, Mike[/td] [td]

[/td] [/tr] [tr] [td]

[/td] [td] Burley, Darryl[/td] [td]

[/td] [/tr] [tr] [td]

[/td] [td] Rohn, Don[/td] [td]

[/td] [/tr] [tr] [td]

[/td] [td] Kemp, Lee[/td] [td]

[/td] [/tr] [tr] [td]

[/td] [td] Gable, Dan[/td] [td]

[/td] [/tr] [tr] [td]

[/td] [td] Young, Keith[/td] [td]

[/td] [/tr] [tr] [td]

[/td] [td] Smith, Pat[/td] [td]

[/td] [/tr] [/table]

Just an FYI, courtesy of Jarius Hammond, author, The History of Collegiate Wrestling.

Not sure if Jay has updated the current crop of frosh.

1972 was a good year for the Milkovich's. Freshman Pat became the youngest NCAA champ in history. Older brother Tom also won a title, defeating Keaser (world champ the next year), in the semi's and defending champ Owings in the finals. And father and coach Mike set the Ohio state H.S. record for consecutive wins with 102 in-a-row. (A record I think may still stand.)

Quite an accomplished and well-respected wrestling family - wonder where they're all now. A couple of years ago Coach Mike, although close to 90, was reported in good health, living and fishing in the Keys. (Ted Williams, the "Splendid Splinter," was one of his fishing buddies back in the day.)

I think you'd find even in Michigan it is the parents discretion. For example, I would expect many kids born in October will not start Kindergarten that year they turn 5. Many parents would hold a kid this age back for them to start the next year.

Your statement that he is nearly 3 months older than ANYONE in Michigan would be for his grade is thus likely not correct.

Also, seems like many in Michigan feel this way (Dec 1 cutoff is too late).

http://news.yahoo.com/michigan-house-ap ... 00629.html

I guess I shouldn't have used "ANYONE" since there are no absolutes but I actually had several friends born in November of the same year as me that were in my class. I have been 18 years removed from grade school and things may have loosened since, but when I was in school the deadline was strongly enforced. I had noone in my classes born earlier than December and asked quite a few friends and also my younger brothers if they remember anyone in their classes born earlier and other than a couple being held back a year noone remembers it happening.