Sign in to follow this  
NJwrestlingguy

How many NCAA Qualifiers will you team return next season?

Mizzou will return 8.  Lose Butler and Barnes, but 2x qualifier Lavallee will return at 157 after red-shirting.  Also bringing in Fargo champ Dante Jiovenetta to help address their issues at heavyweight.  Synon will be a senior and a 3x qualifier, but I doubt he'll even make the lineup next year with Mizzou's good young talent at 133. 

Here's a list of schools and the number of non-senior 2016 NCAA participants - so not counting guys on redhsirt or guys who qualified but then withdrew because of injury. 

CdYcvyqUUAErBg6.jpg

I believe Rutgers will actually return 9 previous qualifiers including guys coming off redshirt. 

McCabe

DelVecchio

Giraldo

Ashnault

Dippery

Theobold

Lewis

Bakuckas

Gravina

Virginia Tech has the most non-senior seeded wrestlers in this year's tourney with 7

Dance

Chishko

McFadden

Epperly

Zavatsky

Haught

Walz

I don't believe Suriano, Cortez, Joseph, Hall and Nevills have qualified for an NCAA tournament nor have any of them wrestled a meaningful college match.

Nevills wrestled in the Big 10 (14) championship tournament, I would call those important/meaningful college matches, true none have competed in the NCAA tournament,  regardless that is a very good  potential lineup next year.

Edited by dougb

Nevills wrestled in the Big 10 (14) championship tournament, I would call those important/meaningful college matches, true none have competed in the NCAA tournament,  regardless that is a very good  potential lineup next year.

Regardless, that is not what this thread is about.

Iowa returns Gilman, Clark, Sorensen, Meyer, Brooks, and Stoll. Among the strongest returning core of any team. 

Other teams who I think return the toughest cores: 

PSU: Gulibon, Retherford, Nolf, Morelli, Nickal, and McCutcheon return.  (Although I don't think Morelli will crack the lineup again)

tOSU: Tomasello, Jordan, Ryan, Jordan, Martin, and Snyder return.

OSU: Wayne-Harding, Heil, Collica, Smith, Rogers, Crutchmer, Boyd, and Weigel return. (Brock will be in for Harding I'd assume, and not sure how 65/74 will play out for them with Marsteller/Rogers/Crutchmer)

VTech: Dance, Chishko, McFadden, Epperly, Zavatsky, Haught, and Walz

Mizzou: McGhee, Synon, Manley, Mayes, Lavalle, Lewis, Miklus, and Cox. (Poster above alluded to Synon being bumped out)

Any other teams that y'all think could make a push for top 5 with a strong returning core?

LaxHawk, doesn't Tavanello also return? (not that he's ever going to see the lineup ahead of Snyder, barring injury)

Tav is prob hoping Kyle wins Gold in Rio, an event that would likely end Kyles college wrestling career...giving Tav his starting spot again. If that doesnt happen, he will likely share regular season time with Kyle similar to the time split this year with Kyle going full time near seasons end.

Guest Kingsland

Mizzou will return 7 (8 technically).

McGehee

Synon (technically, but Clayton will probably fill this weight. RSF who has finished ahead of Synon all year)

Manley

Mayes

LeValle

Lewis

Milkus

Cox

Is Jaydin Clayton the same person as Jaydin Eirman?

Michigan will return 

125 Youtsy but the way Assad wrestled this year and they have Micic he could lose his spot

133 If Fisher makes the drop he qualified in 2015

141 As stated above Fisher but I think if Hall stays healthy he'll be the guy next year

149 Alec Pantaleo

157 Brian Murphy

165 Garrett Sutton 2015 qualifier but most likely it'll be Logan Massa who could very well win it all

174 Taylor Massa 2015 qualifier or Mahomes who if he had not been injured would have qualified in 2015 and 16

184 Domenic Abounader

197 None unless some way they figure out how to get Huntley another year (just kidding for those of you that take everything so serious)

285 Adam Coon

Yes don't know why the last name on the roster is different though

Clayton was his birth name, but just recently changed his name to that of his adoptive father, Mike Eierman.  It will take awhile to get all references to his prior name changed over.

I have a similar question about Va tech. They have 7 qualifiers this year that return next season. Additionally, Sal Matriani qualified last year and I think he has a year left . Tech folks, is that accurate? Plus Gustafson qualified in '14. So they could have as many as 9 previous qualifiers back.

Nebraska returns 7

125 3 time qualifier Lambert

133 3 time qualifier Montoya (twice for NU)

141 open

149 open (though Justin Arthur qualified as a FR before he transferred)

157 Berger (his first trip as a FR)

165 open (Williams looked pretty close in ability to Austin)

174 Barnes (SR,  1st qualifier as a JR)

184 Dudley (3 time qualifier, AA as a SO)

197 Studebaker ( 2 time qualifier - if he can keep Derek White on the bench)

285 Jenkins (3 time qualifier)