Sign in to follow this  
wrestlingnerd

NCAA spoilers with low seeds

Spoiler: lowly ranked wrestler (let's say seeded 9 or below) with no chance of making the finals who could derail contenders anyway and is therefore a must-watch, since upsets are bound to happen.

125: 

David Terao, #15. Unorthodox and easy to overlook, at his best, can do serious damage. Gave Garrett a few close ones in their long-dated rivalry and took out Jesse Delgado in his final year. Likely meets Dance in the quarters.

133:

Bradley Taylor, #12. Had a bad regular season but at his peak, has the chops to beat Brewer, whom he meets in the quarters if he beats Conaway the third time in two weeks.

141: 

Thomas Thorn, #11. Big, tall, tough SOB with a motor who knows how to scramble. Nearly majored Ashnault once. Likely meets Micah Jordan in the round of 12.

149: 

BJ Clagon, unseeded. Atrocious season for one of Rider's few AAs in program history, but BJ at his peak can upset anyone. Extremely athletic but suspect lungs. Has a big first match against Henderson and is on Retherford's side of the bracket.

165: 

Geno Morelli, unseeded. Probably the least impressive and least athletic of the guys on my spoiler list, but has two 3-2 losses to Bo Jordan. It wasn't like Jordan was in real danger either time, but, by definition, he was one move away from an upset both times. It's probably a bridge too far to expect him to even make it to Jordan whom he'd meet in the quarters, but anything can happen.

Duke Picket, unseeded. Similar to Morelli, not that impressive and not that athletic, but he has a big heart and is one of the bigger guys at 165, having been a 174 lber before this year.

I know I'm reaching at 165.... but I couldn't not have a guy two weights in a row.

174: 

Alex Meyer, #13. The Mustachio replacement has quietly had a pretty decent year. I was surprised to find him all the way down to 13 with only 4 losses off a B1G schedule. He probably faces Ramos in the round of 12, and I think that's a winnable match for him. If he pulls off the upset, he would face Brunson, whom he has beaten before, albeit a season ago and at the last minute.

Chandler Rogers, #9. Has enough of a big move puncher's chance to catch anyone, including Nickal, a big move guy himself. Has a tough draw with likely Epperly and then Nickal if (when) he beats Barrick of Bucknell in the first round.

184:

Nate Brown, #10. This is pretty much cheating since no NCAA finalist should ever be a legitimate "spolier", but he is ranked in the double digits and had a disastrous EIWAs, so expectations are appropriately low now.

Lorenzo Thomas, #11. Long and funky, is a prototypical spoiler who can score from anywhere and isn't afraid to go a little nuts to score. Beat Nate Brown at the EIWAs, pinned Nolan Boyd at the Scuffle, and has wrestled Dean very close in the past with one or two exceptions. He was down 8-1 against Boyd, then ran up the score 19-10 in his favor before the stick. Dangerous dude.

285:

Tanner Hall, unseeded. Not the most consistent guy in the world, but he can wrestle well against anyone when he's on. Examples: one-point losses to Gwiz (4-3) and Walz (6-5) and a win over Dhesi (6-5). To be fair to Dhesi, he did major Hall in their most recent encounter (again, Hall, inconsistent). Tough draw with Walz in the first round, but I'll be watching that match with great interest for sure.

Edited by wrestlingnerd

125 - Conor Schram - 4x PA finalist and 2x champ, will make some noise from the #10

133 - A Giraldo - beat earl hall, bruno  and gave brewer fits (one pd though ;) , making weight over 2 days make hurt him though

141 - Randy Cruz - r12 last year -- the wrestlbacks could present some interesting PA matchups, looks like Cruz , Chisko and Zach Horan will battle

149 - BJ Clagon - could make a run , gave rutherford one of his closest matches this year. when he wants to go , he s tough to handle

174 -i cant wait for a myles v realubuto semi

184 - gravina will grind and will give brooks fits

hwy - dhesi - he made billy smith legitimately quit

Your 165 could be McFadden, 14 seed, but will wrestle above that seed to give VT 8 AAs this year.

I just can't see him beating Bo Jordan, even when Bo is doing just the minimum to win. Otherwise I would've put him in. I think he has a good chance of wrestling above his seed though, definitely agree on that.

149 - I agree about Clagon but will also add Dan Neff #15. Was an AA last year and beat Clagon in the EWL finals. I believe all his losses this year are from when he was trying to suck down to 141. Is something like 20-0 at 149 this year.

Will keep an eye out for for Neff, thanks. Interesting. I have not followed him.

Myles Martin at 174, the 11 seed. Fully expect him to make it to quarters where he will have Butler the 3 seed. Myles will have to be on top of his game but could very well pull the upset and make it to the semis

I debated putting him in but decided against it mainly because I'm biased against true freshmen outperforming at NCAAs. You are right, though, he has the talent and athletic ability to pull a big upset.

I'll throw a couple out there.

184 - Willie Miklus, returning AA had very inconsistent results the last month, supposedly due to injury.  #14 seed with Vic Avery waiting in the 2nd round.  If he's 100% Avery will have his hands full.

157 - LeRoy Barnes.  Unseeded and beefed up from 141 where he couldn't consistently beat Manley (but did once).  He lost close to Palacio, and Gantt and won by major in the MAC finals.  He's a feel good story for those that know him, a former NJCAA champ who lives his life right and this is his first/last shot.  He has Palacio first round, and will absolutely do some damage in the wrestlebacks when he gets there.

165 - #16 Devin Gobbo.  EIWA champ and gets the 16 seed?!?!  Was a true blue chipper coming out of HS, though couldn't wrestle due to knee injuries Sr year.  Has been injured most of his career but is now healthy, wrestling great, and physical enough to make some noise.  Will have to get it done underneath.

My two picks are:

Gulibon - has wrestled tough all year and all losses were very close to top competition. Wrestles with a full tank of gas and should be fresh for nationals.

Epperly - been injured all year, but I can see him having a good run in a wide open weight and upsetting Nickal in the quarters.

I agree with most of what has already been said.  I would add to the mix though, Beckman @ 133.  He has had a pretty rough season but always seems to put it together at the tournament, having AA'd the last 2 years.  If he loses 1st round to Garrett and can wrestle back to the round of 12, he is looking at Taylor/Conaway/Brewer to AA.  

Anything is possible at the NCAA Tournament.

Lower seeds are an interesting topic. Are there loads of difference between a # 1 vs # 8 / # 9  and #2 vs # 7 / # 10's?    The guys who are #11 - #16 really know with a great tournament could be AA. 

My picks for possible AA for the # 11 - # 16 seeds or unseeded.

125 -  #13 Lambert and #15 Tereo

133 -  #16 Giraldo

141 -   #11 Thorn and Gulibon

149 - no picks

157 - no picks

165 - #12 Brennan

174 - #11 Martin

184 - #14 Miklus and  #15 Gravina

197 - Real dark horse Downey

HWT - No picks

I agree with most of what has already been said. I would add to the mix though, Beckman @ 133. He has had a pretty rough season but always seems to put it together at the tournament, having AA'd the last 2 years. If he loses 1st round to Garrett and can wrestle back to the round of 12, he is looking at Taylor/Conaway/Brewer to AA.

Anything is possible at the NCAA Tournament.

He got the worst draw of any AA I've ever seen. He faces the clear #1 who just destroyed him a couple of weeks ago and then has to beat 3 AAs in a row, including he returning champ. That's so ridiculous it's almost a bad joke.

I'll list some guys in 10+ seed range that I think could spoil some brackets:

125: Bresser, Lambert, have both AA'ing
133: Taylor isn't really a sleeper as everyone knows how good he is 
141: Nobody 
149: Finesilver

157: Murphy, think he could make the semis, personally have him losing to Miller 
165: Faust, homer pick but has wins over Rohskopf 

174: Martin, think he makes the semis

184: Renda, Brown (returning finalist was ranked 2 before EIWA's)
197: Wellington
285: Cabell