Sign in to follow this  
HokieHWT

Most weight gained after last weigh in

Who is going to gain the most weight after they are either eliminated or weigh in Saturday. I had a high school teammate who wrestled 145. He was eliminated on the first day of the state tournament and our coach put him on the scale, just because he was curious...he weighed 167. That's 22 pounds of fluid and food in less than 24 hours.

Edit: 167 minus 145 is 22, not 21.

Edited by HokieHWT

No allowances back in the day? That would make it an even 20.

This one time, at junior duals, they let you weigh in for greco and skip weigh-ins for freestyle.  A 160lber hopped on to see what he weighed for freestyle --178.

You're right, you got 2 pounds after you made scratch once. So it was only 20.

That reminds me of the true story- way back in '80s. My teammate told me about his older brother who was going to wrestle in National Prep finals. After weigh-ins, he gobbled up several bowls of cereal. The coach warned him not to overeat, but he was ignored. So, what happens? He got the severe case of stomach cramps. He was trying to get the timeouts as much as he could get. He was leaning against the coach and moaning but the stone-faced coach push him back in the mat. So, he lost the close match that he was favored in.

If he got eliminated in the first day, it's still 22 lbs. Pretty ridiculous for a HS 145 kid. That would be considered a hard cut even in the UFC with day-before weigh-ins and recovery using IV rehydration.

No, you got the extra 2 pounds as soon as you made weight the first time, beginning in the season. This was before hydration tests. So his weight class was 147 after the first match of the year.

More than several decades ago we decided to have a weigh in the monday afternoon after EIWAs, with two winning categories:  most pounds gained, and largest % of last weigh-in.  Our 123 pounder won both categories, and I think he weighed around 147.  Our 160 pounder came in second with a gain of around 20.  Back then we had a two pound allowance on the second day, iirc.  I think the heavyweight was not eligible for this contest. 

My redshirt year heading into the daktroniks open I was trying to make 157. We were at the women's dual and at the time I weighed 163, the team was leaving the next morning and I did not feel well at all during this time. I didn't want to wrestle up and told the coach I couldn't make weight, he looked me straight in the eye said that's fine but you know what you have to do next tournament. About 2 hours later I weighed 176

from an old SI article on NCAA champ and Olympian Joe Gonzales, regarding weight gain in his HS days:

Not surprisingly, what Gonzales did after that victory at 106 pounds was eat—pizza, tacos, ice cream.... He says that by Monday morning, 40 hours after his match, he had ballooned to a whopping 148 pounds. 

http://www.si.com/vault/1982/05/03/624314/gonzo-man-on-the-go

My junior year in high school was the worst cut of my life.  I was up to 181 during football season. I would say a dozen or so of those lbs were bulked up. Still, I wrestled 145.  My coach let me wrestle 152 twice.  Those were 2 of the happiest weeks of my life!

Was one of those matches at 152 when you bumped up to face TBar?

A kid who went to a rival high school would cut from 187-189 down to 171 for every match. Hed weigh that much the morning of for a 7pm meet. PIAA state champ and an R12 guy at the NCAAs.

Since my last weigh in, I've put on 59lbs. I think I may win this one.

A kid who went to a rival high school would cut from 187-189 down to 171 for every match. Hed weigh that much the morning of for a 7pm meet. PIAA state champ and an R12 guy at the NCAAs.

Since my last weigh in, I've put on 59lbs. I think I may win this one.

have you seen Jack Cuvo?