Sign in to follow this  
Jason_L._Jackson

Jake Ryan got screwed

Nah, he should have been hit another time in the second.  Pathetic wrestling from him after the 1st period.

Smith looked awful in the first period, most of the second, and only caught wind when the ref kept him in the match with the first two stall calls.  

If Ryan took a shot in that match or got off the edge at some point, the ref couldn't have 'screwed' either Ryan.

Shooting has nothing to do with stalling though. Its like make up on un ugly face. It helps look good, but there is still an ugly face underneath. Smith was taking awful shots all match, but I guess he wasn't stalling.  Either way Stalling is 100% a judgement thin that other countries simply laugh at. 

Shooting has nothing to do with stalling though. Its like make up on un ugly face. It helps look good, but there is still an ugly face underneath. Smith was taking awful shots all match, but I guess he wasn't stalling.  Either way Stalling is 100% a judgement thin that other countries simply laugh at. 

You can pick and choose from what I said if you want, but in addition to never shooting he wrestled with his butt on the edge the entire match.  Other countries call that passivity instead of stalling, but it is still penalized.  

Smith looked awful in the first period, most of the second, and only caught wind when the ref kept him in the match with the first two stall calls.  

Smith did look awful in the first, but he earned those stall calls.  The ref didn't gift them.  There was one guy moving his hands and feet and attempting to score, and there was one guy who didn't have anything more to offer than a tight collar tie.  The better wrestler won that match.  

Don't get me wrong, I can appreciate savvy defense and crafty stalling, but Ryan didn't have either, those were stalling calls well earned.

Edited by ohcomeon

Only problem was he did absolutely nothing 2 of those three periods. He got what he deserved.

That's your opinion and you keep saying it over and over.  I prefer a wrestler to actually execute points rather than rely on the ref.  How many other sports have the team or guy losing at the end yelling for stall calls to right the balance. The answer: only american folkstyle wrestling.  Oh well.  Still staling just bugs me.  

Jo Jo Smith's action and movement on his feet were terrible. Very very bad positioning on his feet. In the third, Ryan was too tired to capitalize on Smith's fairly poor motion. That is what stinks to me. Sure Ryan looked awful, but Smith looked even worse. Smith's action led directly to 3 Ryan takedowns.  In the third Ryan was too tired, so the ref rewarded Smith's action with points.   But Smith's action was and is horrible right now.  Ryan didn't deserve than match. But the ref really needs to stop becoming a deciding factor based on action, particularly when the offensive wrestler's action has led to him getting taken down 3 times already.  

Edited by Fishhook

So Ryan didn't score a single takedown off of his own moves is what you're saying? It seems more and more legit to continue to blast him with stall calls, but that is indeed just an opinion. Too bad Tom Ryan couldn't keep his cool and cost his athletes a team point. Poor composure on his part that may end up costing them big time later on. Hope it doesn't come back to bite them (I would be furious if I was one of his wrestlers and it did).

That ref took it pathetically easy on Ryan.

Ryan wasn't going anywhere in this tournament. Everyone knew that.  I am shocked at how poorly Smith wrestled.  Really bad.  If Smith gave Nolf a good match last time....based on this match I am shocked.  Smith looked like a high school junior.  Thank god for that ref. 

Nah, he should have been hit another time in the second.  Pathetic wrestling from him after the 1st period.

Absolutely....   Ryan should have been hit for backing out (the new rule) JUST prior to being hit the last time. 

Ryan backed out with NO turn in and NO effort to stay in... Stall by rule...

He was gassed...

2 of his TD were slide by counters to Smiths initial slide by attempt.

Great match... Very Entertaining

Jojo, that was terrible. Jake Ryan is mid tier at best, it's just the facts. Jojo allowed 3 takedowns and had to rely on 3 stall points to get to OT, pathetic. I believe JoJo is a better wrestler than Ryan, but he DID NOT deserve to win THAT match. Ryan had nothing left, that was apparent but he DID score three takedowns before gassing. Piss poor on both sides IMO

So Ryan didn't score a single takedown off of his own moves is what you're saying? It seems more and more legit to continue to blast him with stall calls, but that is indeed just an opinion. Too bad Tom Ryan couldn't keep his cool and cost his athletes a team point. Poor composure on his part that may end up costing them big time later on. Hope it doesn't come back to bite them (I would be furious if I was one of his wrestlers and it did).

That is like rewarding the boxer who swings first.  Counterpunching is a very real art. So is counter wrestling. American Folkstyle wrestling is becoming more and more anti-counter wrestling in the third period, to some degree and it is really hurting our wrestling overseas. We have to adapt too much. Its not to the actual style of freestyle. It is to the mindset that if you are going to shoot, you better score and not leave yourself vulnerable.  

I understand it is to keep the third period from becoming two dudes waiting around to counter, but this new idea that flailing around while the other guy is tired, and rewarding that with points is silly.  

There was no team point deducted.  There was simply a Mat Control Violation warning on Ryan.  First one is a warning, second one is a team point.  You don't want to get a third one.......

My guess is that it was for badgering.....