Sign in to follow this  
ohcomeon

Session 3 Discussion

That's what is so frustrating. Collica backed up on every Mayes shot attempt and never got hit for stalling. He would be off the mat, circle and take a half-assed re-shot and get stalling calls against Mayes for backing up. Mayes initiated all the action. Gotta give Collica credit for taking what the ref was giving him, I guess.

Collica tried to score on every Mayes shot.  On the edge he repeatedly circled in looking for his nearside cradle as a counter instead of just letting the action go out of bounds. 

Mayes did very little in that match.  He had all the near takedowns, but he sat there for long stretches in between.  He would sit still for a minute and then shoot a great double.  He avoided all ties and didn't come forward.  It's the same reason Jordan Oliver never got stalling calls in his favor even though he took all the real shots.  

Then add in the fact the stall point came in the 2nd period, and Mayes still did little for the first 1:30 of the 3rd period while losing.  That's why Brian Smith was audibly shouting at him not to wait.  

Edited by boconnell

Hmmm. Based only on the written account, I get being pissed off, but it's hard to get too up in arms about a guy who didn't get a TD.

Its frustrating on two levels.  First the blatant inconsistency in the application of the rules.  Mayes was very close to getting a TD twice but both times it was right after the whistle (one the initially awarded but waived off after review).  He took all the shots, had all the agression, didn't get calls, and then collica did in the exact same situations.

Second and more importantly, Mayes is on my fantasy team which is in the middle of an epic meltdown :(

Can't say he didn't wrestle until the end. Hopefully the other 165s see this and realize he can be taken down/wrestle to win.

Lewis wrestled him tough last time if I remember correctly, could be an interesting semi.

How are these not stall calls for Rogers?  I don't get it... not that I'm expecting him to win, but if you shoot a guy to the edge then get underhooks and back him off that should be a stall call, no???

C'mon, you are accusing a guy who had a bunch of EASY takedowns of stalling? I have heard it all now. 

C'mon, you are accusing a guy who had a bunch of EASY takedowns of stalling? I have heard it all now. 

Its the rules this year bro.  Backing out of bounds is supposed to warrant an automatic stall call unless its waived off by the ref as continuation of action

Multiple times Nickal was backed out by Rogers either on a shot or with underhooks.  Was Nickal being aggressive and taking shots and scoring points?  Of course, he is Bo Nickal.  But that doesn't make him immune to the rules

Its frustrating to see this called so inconsistently.  In this match it wouldn't have mattered in the slightest, but Anthony Collica is now an AA because the ref couldn't figure out how to apply the new rule