Sign in to follow this  
bigtenfan

Should JoJo have redshirted?

Hindsight is 20/20 but a 7/8 finish as a true freshman who was redshirting to start the year. Sounds like his dad made the decision to sacrifice his son's individual stats just for the team stats with marstellar falling apart.

Should he redshirt next year? He's not quite on that top level yet.

All American as a freshman is not top level? Anything short of a NC is such a disappointment anymore.

He's definitely a good wrestler. But he got majored and pinned so far. He's not a top 3/4 guy. I'm saying if he took the year to get more seasoned (like Nolf and Imar did) it would have been much better for him.

Similar thing happened to Joe Williams at Iowa. It didn't seem to put a damper on the rest of his collegiate or international careers. I suspect Joe Smith will be just fine moving forward.

Edited by Tofurky

bad for stats, but good for career. The experience from this year will be priceless as opposed to redshirting and watching Blees from the stands.  

John Smith himself did not AA his freshmen year. But he did improve tremendously there after. So in his mind, that first year experience sets up the following years for success. 

At least he will AA. Smith pulls little Marsden's RS, then had him split time with Weigel before choosing Weigel for the Big 12 and postseason.

Marsden and Weigel are both Freshman.  Marsden was either going to RS this year, or if he couldn't win the spot this year, he can RS next year since he's behind Weigel.  His brother did the same thing when he had to fill in at NCAAs as a true Frosh for Gelogaev and then he RS'd his 2nd year since he was still behind him.

As for Joe, I think if John knew Crutchmer would be out he may have kept Joe in RS.  But I think OSU owed it to Dieringer to make every effort at a team title during his senior year.  

Edited by boconnell

Marsden and Weigel are both Freshman.  Marsden was either going to RS this year, or if he couldn't win the spot this year, he can RS next year since he's behind Weigel.  His brother did the same thing when he had to fill in at NCAAs as a true Frosh for Gelogaev and then he RS'd his 2nd year since he was still behind him.

As for Joe, I think if John knew Crutchmer would be out he may have kept Joe in RS.  But I think OSU owed it to Dieringer to make every effort at a team title during his senior year.

Yeah but the difference with big Marsden was his RS was pulled so that he could finish the season as the starter and go on to the postseason. Little Marsden got his RS pulled in January so he could be a part-time starter and backup and ultimately not even get the chance to qualify for NCAAs.

Yeah but the difference with big Marsden was his RS was pulled so that he could finish the season as the starter and go on to the postseason. Little Marsden got his RS pulled in January so he could be a part-time starter and backup and ultimately not even get the chance to qualify for NCAAs.

He had a chance to qualify but lost the spot to a guy who made the round of 12.

Unless Marsden was pulled against his choice, there is no issue.  A guy was given the chance to wrestle and didn't win the spot.  Now he can RS next year as he'll still be behind Weigel.  

Why not let Marsden wrestle all year then? Why pull him in the middle of the year when there was already a R12 guy there?

Wiegel and Marsden were both behind Schafer.  They also tried Jordan Rogers at 197.  Then after the holiday Schafer was suspended/kicked off? and they entered Weigel and Marsden in the scuffle and started rotating duals to pick a starter.  Weigel won the spot, the Big 12, and made the round of 12.  Unfortunate for Marsden, but it is what it is.  

Was Brock's season ending injury before or after Smith's redshirt was pulled? If before, I would've kept the redshirt and reloaded.

But in the grand scheme of things, I think redshirts are sometimes overrated and just end up padding career stats instead of accomplishing meaningful development. Depends on the kid and program and I am sure by Smith's senior year he and his team will be in the hunt for a national championship.

Wiegel and Marsden were both behind Schafer.  They also tried Jordan Rogers at 197.  Then after the holiday Schafer was suspended/kicked off? and they entered Weigel and Marsden in the scuffle and started rotating duals to pick a starter.  Weigel won the spot, the Big 12, and made the round of 12.  Unfortunate for Marsden, but it is what it is.

The difference is Weigel already redshirted. If you don't have a clear favorite and are just throwing two guys against the wall to see which one sticks, why pull the one out of redshirt?

He's definitely a good wrestler. But he got majored and pinned so far. He's not a top 3/4 guy. I'm saying if he took the year to get more seasoned (like Nolf and Imar did) it would have been much better for him.

Pinned in a Peterson finish to boot. 

bad for stats, but good for career. The experience from this year will be priceless as opposed to redshirting and watching Blees from the stands.  

John Smith himself did not AA his freshmen year. But he did improve tremendously there after. So in his mind, that first year experience sets up the following years for success. 

all true but John was the 3 seed and went 1-1 but eliminated when the guy that beat him didn't make semis. so not like he had a horrible freshman year either.  

The difference is Weigel already redshirted. If you don't have a clear favorite and are just throwing two guys against the wall to see which one sticks, why pull the one out of redshirt?

Because you are trying to field the best team.  They had 2 replacement options at 197 and rotated them until they could make a decision.  That is not unheard of in any way.  And for a kid who could possibly go through the program for 4-5 years without ever starting, it was a great opportunity.