Sign in to follow this  
TBar1977

Hodge Trophy

Garrett is not close in the dominance stat, and is also behind in the past accomplishments.  I think it comes down to 

Dieringer - career/dominance

Retherford - without a doubt most dominant, much better on top than Dieringer

Gwiz - career, dominant enough, possibility to beat Snyder

I'd be fine with any of the 3.  

Retherford.

I had very serious doubts about giving it to a freshman over 2 potential 3timers, but has been the best all season, and he has gone Tech, Pin, Pin, Pin so far at NCAAs

Edit: I knew Zain was a Sophomore, I think I subconsciously just hate spelling it

Edited by GoNotQuietly

Retherford.

I had very serious doubts about giving it to a freshman over 2 potential 3timers, but has been the best all season, and he has gone Tech, Pin, Pin, Pin so far at NCAAs

He is a RS Sophomore. Definitely most dominant. But the Hodge is a glorified career achievement award.

Retherford.

If Snyder beats Gwiz, Ringer wins close, but Zain pins Sorenson, do you think they give it to Zain? 

If Snyder beats Gwiz, Ringer wins close, but Zain pins Sorenson, do you think they give it to Zain?

No matter how deserving he is, the committee is going to say the other two are seniors and he still has two more years to win the award. If he won it this year, they would be setting him up to potentially win the hodge 3 years in a row, which they'll never do.

"Career" is part of the criteria. It can't be ignored - even if you are a fan of Retherford's.

"Dominance" is part of the criteria. It can't be ignored - even if you are a fan of Garrett's.

It's not a 'team' award - so someone from PSU doesn't need to win it.

The Hodge is NOT the award that goes to the best NCAA performance. That's the "Outstanding Wrestler" award - which Retherford could win.

If Gwiz beats Snyder, it'll be close between Gwiz/Ringer. Otherwise, the Hodge goes to Ringer.

Edited by rstrong

Would love to see Rutherford get it, but Dieringer and Garrett appear to have better resumes based on criteria.

Nahshon Garrett also must be in the running for the Gorriaran Award. That quick pin on Cody Brewer had to help.

If there were a Heisman Trophy of wrestling, Retherford would be the rightful recipient.

However, if there were a "pro draft" in wrestling, Garrett would be the only guy who would make teams think before picking Snyder first. What he did to Brewer both times this year is pretty close to unbelievable.

1. Garrett

2. Gwiz, but only if he wins 

3. Ringer

Since you said "If", I wont get as fired up as I might. There should never be more than one winner unless the voting ends up in a tie. I'm sick and tired of the "everybody getting a trophy" concept so we keep little (insert name) happy. In the words of Tom Brands you only deserve what you earn and whoever receives the most votes deserves/earns the Hodge although they are all worthy choices.

The Hodge Trophy has 7 criteria:

1. Record
2. Number of pins
3. Dominance
4. Past Credentials
5. Quality of Competition
6. Sportsmanship/Citizenship
7. Heart

Here's some records info for Ringer,Gwiz and Retherford from Wrestlestats and the 2016 NCAA tourney:

Dieringer (32-0)  Falls...11  TF...6   MD...8   Dec...5     BP%...78.1 

Top 20 faced(Intermat) 5, 9, 11, 12, 15, 16, 18. Daniel Lewis was #5 and he beat him 4-3 & 14-4

Gwiazdowski (33-0)  Falls...9   TF...6   MD...8  Dec...10   BP%...69.7

Top 20 faced  3,4,5,6,8,10,11,14,15   He beat #3 Walz  4-2 & 6-2....Coon #4  3-2....Marsden #5  7-4....Dejournette #6 10-4

Kroells #8  10-6

Retherford (33-0)   Falls...15   TF...8   MD...6   Dec...4   BP%...87.9

Top 20 faced   2,3,4,5,7,8,10,16,17   He beat Sorensen #2  4-0...Pantaleo #3 F2:46 & F4:49....Tsirtsis #4  15-5....Sueflohn #5  11-3....Henderson #7  TF 4:14 17-1....Oliver #8  F2:13

Which of the 3 is the most impressive this year?

Obviously Retherford is by far the most dominant.

How much weight to the voters give to the 4th criteria past credentials?

Cael won it his sophomore year.

I think if Retherford dominates Sorensen and Jordan keeps it close with Dieringer and Snyder beats Gwiz then it will

definitely go to Retherford. I think if Dieringer dominates Jordan by major or better he wins it. Unless Gwiz could some how pin Snyder.

Have no dog in this hunt. And I am NOT an Okie State fan.

If "Career" is a criteria, it would be a sham for Dieringer not to win it.

Understand Retherford arguments, really do, but Dieringer WAS dominant this season and is a 3 timer.

In my opinion, the Hodge Award loses all credibilty if Dieringer doesn't win it.