Wire

Billy Baldwin

I believe that's actually Zeb interviewing IMar. It was just posted under Willie's account. And if it was just about asking about IMar's dad he had fielded similar questions multiple times this weekend, so it wasn't new for him. It only caught him off guard because he assumed the question was about coming back from the Nolf loss rather than the struggle of dealing with the death. I would call the death a bigger "valley" to overcome than losing one match.

Edited by MadMardigain

What did he ask?

What... is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow?

No - actually he asked about how he dealt with the death of his father or something to that effect. He asked about adversity (valleys) and imar focused on wrestling only ... The follow up question focused on non-wrestling father's death.

I had not seen this interview until now. As repechange said, I'm very impressed with the way Martinez handled it. I haven't met him, but he seems like a super good kid - I'm glad he was able to win the title.

While I am not a big Baldwin fan, and I am not much for the immediate interview right as they are walking off the mat........at least none of them pulled what Willie Sailor did when he was interviewing IMar.  What a putz.......

That is Zeb Miller. He is related to Ian. I think uncle or maybe cousin.

Billy Baldwin is a horse's ass. I don't know if he is promoting the sport. Seems to me he is prompting it to people who are watching it already. Mostly he is promoting himself.

A few years ago we had some very good short films with John Irving. Billy Baldwin is to John Irving for wrestling as Billy Baldwin is to Robert DeNiro for acting.

I remember when he was promoting himself why stepping up political pressures on the Admin at Binghamton University and trying to save a then cut program.  He put up money and was involved in rallying the alumni and saving a dead program, once a Division 3 program, and help to resurrect it to a D1 program.  They hired a young coach named Pat Popolizio and Baldwin was involved from the resurgence.  Binghamton went from dead to a top 20 program in 4 years.   

The last thing he is trying to do is promote himself through wrestling.  You really have it wrong.

Again, wrestling refuses to evolve.

I like Baldwin.

I like Kessenich.

We need more Rinaldi.

Or more cowbell.

Seriously, about the only thing ESPN didn't do for us was a Tom Rinaldi story.

Which would probably do more good for us (toward gaining more of the 'non-traditional' viewers) than we realize.

++1,000 from where it's been

Two of the highest profile, if maybe less successful, former wrestlers in NYC are George Stephanapolis and Neil deGrasse Tyson. I doubt if GS was there, but NdT frequently mentions wrestling and has been at BtS. Anyone see him there? 

While I am not a big Baldwin fan, and I am not much for the immediate interview right as they are walking off the mat........at least none of them pulled what Willie Sailor did when he was interviewing IMar. What a putz.......

For those who haven't seen it, start about the 1:10 mark........

http://www.flowrestling.org/video/936571-imar-through-the-peaks-and-valleys

Definitely NOT Willie doing the interview.

Agree it could've been done better... Imart handled it well with class.

Uh, stating the obvious but a little star power from somebody who is passionate about an otherwise obscure sport is a good thing.

Thank you. Bring it on. Tom Cruise wrestled in HS and even in some of his older movies is shown in wrestling practice (I don't remember which). For one, I think Billy would crush Maverick, and second, he isn't pitching for us, so I for one and happy Billy Baldwin takes the time out for us. And lastly, when it comes to any part of your life where the book is closed, people are always happy to grow your resume. It just happens. Even if Billy doesn't welcome it, it's going to happen.

Looks like NJDan has a bone to pick with Billy Baldwin?  

Not sure why, his contribution to the production provides an interesting dynamic to the broadcast. Some of it substantive insight and some much needed levity. He is certainly knowledgeable, articulate and passionate.

What's your problem Dan?  You a frustrated actor pumping gas somewhere on the Jersey Turnpike or did Baldwin waffle you on the mat back in the day?