Sign in to follow this  
quanon

All Americans by State?

Napoli more impressive academic resume? I checked his bio on Lehigh and see he had a 3.3 GPA (still pretty sharp), but am assuming I'm missing something?

Mechanical Engineering vs Communications

HS Scholar athlete nominee vs not

Okie and Iowa have about the same population. Both have about the same collegiate tradition, at least since WW2. Interesting that Iowa has 3 times as many AAs. I know it has twice the HSs with teams. Guess that explains why so many more general folks in Iowa know about the tournament. 

ASU, Cal Poly, Stanford...

Clovis and surrounding area is the best section of CA for wrestling. Do you know how far that is from Arizona State? Almost 1000 miles. Yes you will see ASU get some southern CA kids like the Valencias. Stanford is impossible to get into, its like saying NJ should have multiple All Americans at Princeton every year. Poly has had a lot of turn over, is in the middle of nowhere and isnt a big name school in CA like a UCLA or Cal etc.

There are no where near the opportunitues for kids in CA as the other wrestling hot beds. A kid in Clovis has basically ONE d1 school to think about within 500 miles. That same kid in the middle of NJ probably has 40 schools. Even discounting all of the east coast schools (PA, NY, NJ, ACC etc) did you know that Blair Academy is closer to Ohio State and Michigan than Clovis is to Arizona State? Take out a map sometime, you will find it enlightening.

Edited by OCGrappler

Hater much? I went through the ODU communications and it's not exactly cake. Let's just criticize someone for following what they want to do and making the grade while doing it, shall we?  

Very impressive.   Communications isn't exactly chopped liver (some are more challenged by it than others), but obviously  it can't hold a candle to Mechanical engineering.   I always enjoy seeing when wrestlers pick these tough majors and excel.   Of course any degree is fine.  What's that saying, the world needs ditch diggers, too?   

Clovis and surrounding area is the best section of CA for wrestling. Do you know how far that is from Arizona State? Almost 1000 miles. Yes you will see ASU get some southern CA kids like the Valencias. Stanford is impossible to get into, its like saying NJ should have multiple All Americans at Princeton every year. Poly has had a lot of turn over, is in the middle of nowhere and isnt a big name school in CA like a UCLA or Cal etc.

There are no where near the opportunitues for kids in CA as the other wrestling hot beds. A kid in Clovis has basically ONE d1 school to think about within 500 miles. That same kid in the middle of NJ probably has 40 schools. Even discounting all of the east coast schools (PA, NY, NJ, ACC etc) did you know that Blair Academy is closer to Ohio State and Michigan than Clovis is to Arizona State? Take out a map sometime, you will find it enlightening.

This.

Being from Iowa, I kind of take for granted how big CA is having never been there. Not that I have no sense of geography outside of Iowa it's just that my mind kind of defaults to thinking all of that stuff is closer than it actually is. Thanks for that info CA-Wrestler. It was all stuff I had never really thought of before. 

Being from Iowa, I kind of take for granted how big CA is having never been there. Not that I have no sense of geography outside of Iowa it's just that my mind kind of defaults to thinking all of that stuff is closer than it actually is. Thanks for that info CA-Wrestler. It was all stuff I had never really thought of before. 

You can thank OCGrappler for pointing that out.  I was going to post the same thing.  I've posted that on other boards in the past.  That's one of the reasons why a lot of kids from CA don't wrestle in D1.  There aren't many options in-state and mostly everything is out of state.  If any of you have seen out of state tuition and boarding costs, it's quite a bit more than in-state costs.  For those kids who aren't top tier blue chippers(the Valencias for example) and get scholarships, going out of state isn't even a thought because of the financial strain involved.  I'm not even sure what tuition and boarding costs are now, but when I was in college, out of state and foreign students paid at least 2-3 times more than in state kids just for tuition.

California's accomplishment is made even more remarkable when you consider the fact that you literally have to travel thousands of miles to go to a good wrestling school. The were three California kids in the finals, two were at East Coast schools with the third in Illinois. So many CA studs dont even wrestle in college. If a school like UCLA was ever to bring their program back and hire a big time coach it could be another Penn State.

OCGrappler you beat me to it.  It's really sad how much talent in California doesn't wrestle at the next level.  I've always wanted to keep a 1 division format in CA hs state, but I've changed.  We have way too many amazing wrestlers.  Having 2 divisions means more guys will be recruited to wrestle at the next level.  I've spoken to multiple d1 coaches who have said they only look at state champs when recruiting.  

Also, this gets me excited about Fresno State bringing wrestling back!  Hopefully we can get an experienced CA guy in there like Eric Guerrero.  

OCGrappler you beat me to it.  It's really sad how much talent in California doesn't wrestle at the next level.  I've always wanted to keep a 1 division format in CA hs state, but I've changed.  We have way too many amazing wrestlers.  Having 2 divisions means more guys will be recruited to wrestle at the next level.  I've spoken to multiple d1 coaches who have said they only look at state champs when recruiting.  

Also, this gets me excited about Fresno State bringing wrestling back!  Hopefully we can get an experienced CA guy in there like Eric Guerrero.  

Eric would be great for the program and it's very close to his family.  I'm not sure he'd leave OK State, though.

How do you handle a guy like Gilman who lived in Iowa but went across the river into Nebraska for high school?  I assume he is counted on Iowa on this list. 

it's tricky. i did the list and needed to make a judgement call in a few places. ultimately i decided that Gilman should count in the New Jersey category. 

I've spoken to multiple d1 coaches who have said they only look at state champs when recruiting.

But then there's the other 75-80% of collegiate wrestling available to those non-champs from Cali. When I was coaching NJCAA, I'd start with looking for multiple-time place winners. After that it would be multiple-time qualifiers who might place as seniors. If you can qualify more than once, let alone place in California, we wanted those kids and actively sought them. We knew we could develop kids, but the JuCo stigma was no easy sell. Mix that with kids generally wanting to stay close to home and we rarely had California kids.

Having 2 divisions means more guys will be recruited to wrestle at the next level.  I've spoken to multiple d1 coaches who have said they only look at state champs when recruiting.  

Who have you spoken to? Last year, I emailed about 20 coaches this question because it comes up all the time in California and of the dozen or so that I heard back from, virtually all said having state champ on the resume didn't mean much in the grand scheme and that a lot of factors go into it. 

Whether a state has divisions or not has nothing to do with recruiting. Colleges are smart enough to know that not all state champs are created equal. You think colleges would not look at a guy because he only placed in Ohio or Pennsylvania  but wasn't state champ, but would look at a guy because he was a state champ in Georgia or Arizona, etc? 

Who have you spoken to? Last year, I emailed about 20 coaches this question because it comes up all the time in California and of the dozen or so that I heard back from, virtually all said having state champ on the resume didn't mean much in the grand scheme and that a lot of factors go into it. 

Whether a state has divisions or not has nothing to do with recruiting. Colleges are smart enough to know that not all state champs are created equal. You think colleges would not look at a guy because he only placed in Ohio or Pennsylvania  but wasn't state champ, but would look at a guy because he was a state champ in Georgia or Arizona, etc? 

I wholeheartedly agree with this post. There's so much more that goes into recruiting a kid than simply seeing what he placed in high school or what his wrestling trajectory. For example, I'd go for a place winner in PA, NJ, NY, OH or CA before I'd reach out to a champ from Alabama, Louisiana or Nevada, for example, who didn't have anything else to show in the summer months.

Two quick stories: First, I had a kid from Jersey whom I was after because he looked GREAT on paper. He was a three time qualifier, two time placer (maybe more) and seemed to be improving as he went along, beating guys to whom he had previously lost. I spoke with his coach and his coach said to me, "Don't bother; for as talented as he is, this kid will destroy your team. The best thing that will ever happen to me is when I don't have to see him again." As much as I wanted a kid who was more ready made for college, I DOUBLY appreciated that sort of information from his coach. I checked on the kid last year and saw that he was already out of college after one semester.

Second, we had a kid who was a three-champ from his state, multiple-time fargo placer including champion, spent one semester at a DI and then double that time in the state pen. He went to another JuCo program where he was injured pretty bad five matches into the season. Somehow, he ends up at our door. Again, on paper this kid was UNREAL. When the head coach called me and asked me if I knew who he was, all I could say was, "Hell YES I do!" He sets foot in our room and was absolute poison. All he wanted to do was fight everyone and f*@# their girlfriends. We kicked him off the team by Christmas. Last I heard through the grapevine is that he was in the ICU nursing 17 stab wounds from dudes who were tired of him running his mouth. If I never see that guy again, it will be too soon.

I just wish more high school coaches would be honest about a kid's character. 

Point taken, but it is 607 miles from Clovis, CA to Tempe, AZ.

Let's pretend California went to 2 divisions.

Their champs, placers and qualifiers would still be hot commodities due to being a champ/placer/qualifier out of 400+ schools. Depending upon how many qualifiers they would have they still would probably have the smallest percentage of wrestlers qualify for state in the country.