Sign in to follow this  
Perry

Something something Iowa Era

Regardless of whether they have better results next year or not, to the extent the "Iowa Style" was to wear out your opponent and attack, it is far better represented by a number of other schools before Iowa.  Was there a PSU wrestler that didn't individually out-shoot Iowa as a team? Seriously.  Sorenson is down by a ton, and cant' pull the trigger and commit to a shot for the last 1:30 of the NCAA finals.  Really?  As a team, no creativity from neutral (ear to ear collar for the majority of the tourney), and zero creativity from top. 

I know they're not super athletic, and I get that, but jeesh,if you were a top recruit what looks appealing about Iowa other than acting like a zombie robot sprinting out of the arena after every match.  Its not the team I grew up rooting for.

The Iowa style is too bland for my liking, but you can't argue they put people in the stands, and the coaches are hilarious to watch.   The Terry documentary was pure gold for unintended humor.   "Get out of my way, I'll take you out"   Please don't fire these guys and clean house.  Their wrestling may not be entertaining or getting any better, but the dynamic and their characters certainly are.  

They are the same as they've always been, but PSU and tOSU are better than ever.  OSU is OSU.  Teams like Cornell, VTech, and NCST have no fear of the bluebloods.  This knocks Iowa down a notch and makes their good years 2nd and 3rd place finishes instead of titles and their bad years off of the podium.  Like somebody said, parity is awesome and the days of anyone just deserving titles are gone.  

It's funny that people are claiming there is so much parity now. I didn't see parity at all. What I saw was one team dominate the field. The national championship was as much a forgone conclusion this year as it was in most of the years Iowa kept winning. The only difference this year is that PSU is the new Iowa.

It's funny that people are claiming there is so much parity now. I didn't see parity at all. What I saw was one team dominate the field. The national championship was as much a forgone conclusion this year as it was in most of the years Iowa kept winning. The only difference this year is that PSU is the new Iowa.

That fact does work completely against my comment.  

Parity was probably a bad word choice.  I just meant Iowa/OSU stood still and others caught up/passed by.  I don't think Iowa got worse.

I give Sorenson credit, he did take a shot against Retherford. Clark was hoping the ref would stall Garrett out of the match so that he didn't have to shoot. I just don't see how Iowa gets close to PSU over the next half decade. Tom and Terry can't suddenly coach a more fluid and attacking style...it's just not who they are. I heard a comment about how Cael let's his guys "roll" at about 60% in practice just to allow the feel of being in different positions and to encourage fluid motion. And this rolling happens between all weights so they get a different look. Contrast that with the old school drill, drill, drill, snap-spin, hi crotch etc...Which room would you rather be in?

Without the penalty point they would have gotten a team trophy.  Any wrestler on the team that cost them the placing would be criticized and there would be repercussions, but not for the "adult"?  Not sure what's going on over there.  

Iowa wrestlers look like they are trying to survive being Iowa wrestlers.  The most clear example of over training and under performing in the sport.

This

How good is Morinigstar as a coach? The guy irritates me because I always see him mirroring the Brands like a kiss up puppet. I don't see a lot of the guy so maybe I am wrong though. I also see the same stuff from other junior coaches at times too.

Without the penalty point they would have gotten a team trophy. Any wrestler on the team that cost them the placing would be criticized and there would be repercussions, but not for the "adult"? Not sure what's going on over there.

I think the reason the team point deduction isn't being criticized is because of how ridiculous it was for them to be deducted in the first place. Brooks had his man pinned, an assistant ref stopped the match and Iowa loses 3 team points in the end because of it. In my book, Iowa finished ahead of VT and the ref should be absolutely ashamed of himself.

Edited by Mpchillin

What or why was a team point deducted?

Without the penalty point they would have gotten a team trophy.  Any wrestler on the team that cost them the placing would be criticized and there would be repercussions, but not for the "adult"?  Not sure what's going on over there.