scribe

Kyle Snyder is a god

There is no effing difference you numbskull..

Like I said to that other jagoff, nuance is lost on some people.  You may consider yourself one of those people.  

I'll do my best to explain it to you.  There is a difference between being butthurt about an event, and being butthurt about people's reaction to that event. When Bruce Jenner became Caitlyn Jenner, the media called him/her a hero.  People got upset with the media's labeling of the act, not with the sex change.  

Similarly, I am not upset with Snyder winning.  I'm upset with you Snyder fanboys calling him a god.  Have you noticed the difference yet, or should I find some crayons and try to explain it to you with a colorful picture?

Edited by ohcomeon

He's the youngest American to ever win a world championship. If you can't come to terms with him being popular with the wrestling community I don't know what to tell you.... Seems like something very petty to upset about.

Like I said to that other jagoff, nuance is lost on some people.  You may consider yourself one of those people.  

I'll do my best to explain it to you.  There is a difference between being butthurt about an event, and being butthurt about people's reaction to that event. When Bruce Jenner became Caitlyn Jenner, the media called him/her a hero.  People got upset with the media's labeling of the act, not with the sex change.  

Similarly, I am not upset with Snyder winning.  I'm upset you with you Snyder fanboys calling him a god.  Have you noticed the difference yet, or should I find some crayons and try to explain it to you with a colorful picture?

He's the youngest American to ever win a world championship. If you can't come to terms with him being popular with the wrestling community I don't know what to tell you.... Seems like something very petty to upset about.

I am very petty, thanks for noticing.  Behind my stunning good looks, positive attitude, and world class humility, my pettiness is probably my greatest attribute.  

Congratulations to Snyder, the guy is special, he has got a bright future ahead of him.  However, I, for one, won't be going to bed with a raging hard on over his performance tonight.  Good night folks, and God bless.

Edited by ohcomeon

I am very petty, thanks for noticing. Behind my stunning good looks, positive attitude, and world class humility, my pettiness is probably my greatest attribute.

Congratulations to Snyder, the guy is special, he has got a bright future ahead of him. However, I, for one, won't be going to bed with a raging hard on over his performance tonight. Good night folks, and God bless.

You save those hardies for Gwiz.. We get it.

Wrestling is an anaerobic sport.  Which means the body performs and metabolizes its energy in the absence of Oxygen.  As almost all former wrestlers know: once you hit the wall on the mat, you can't move right, you can't think right, etc.  The blood coursing through your veins and into your mind, lungs and muscles has no Oxygen in it. SO the cell, simply can't perform and looks for any way out of this mess.  When you hit the wall on the mat, you often stop caring, to the point of almost allowing oneself to get pinned.

Shot his wad. Blew his load. Gave it his all. Hit the wall  These are ways to describe when a man is completely spent which Gwiz was.  No doubt about it.  I remember holding a cradle on a guy, in High School for almost an entire period and I couldn't barely move my fingers after the match.  My arms were useless.   And this was holding a cradle on a 130 lb dude, rather than Kyle Snyder. That cradle and all the motion and stuff, really wore on Gwuz.  Kyle's hands are very heavy and he was snapping Gwiz all over by the third period.  And Kyle made a comment after the match, that echoes my thoughts during the match.  Kyle got better in that match.  His shots were good early on, but Gwiz was funkier than he remembered.  Kyle knew how strong his legs would be, but its been a while since he wrestled someone bigger than him, that is funky and quick. Gwis is a very impressive HWT.  So Kyle adjusted the way he set up and explored his attacks.  And his snapdowns became so hard that he was really moving Gwiz.  

It has been mentioned that Gwiz outwrestled Kyle for the first 6:30.  That is entirely possible.  The weight was an issue. Not just the weight, but being 30 lbs bigger and being very quick and still funky made Gwiz tough to get down.  BUt Kyle was very close a few times and he clearly knew it, or he would have been much more cautious in the third period IMO.  So Perhaps he was outwrestled by Gwiz in the first period or so.  BUt the last minute and Overtime Kyle was 10 times better.  His pressure paid off.  My whole thing is I HATE stalling to decide a match.  So even though some fans might have wanted Gwiz to get hit with staling in the last minute, I was hoping the constant pressure broke Gwiz, which it may have.  THe pressure should pay off in wrestling moves and on the mat, rather than from the ref rewarding the loser who is trailing because he appears desperate.  So it was very very rewarding, to me, to see this pay off. Constant pressure should influence your opponent, rather than the ref. IMO 

Another observation: in the intros Gwiz was one of the only guys to walk into the ring, through the fire and stuff.  Kyle and everybody else jogged or sprinted onto the mat.  Gwiz was saving himself.  He knew Kyle had a tank.  

Gwiz can wrestle Kyle again anytime he wants to. He just has to make the weight.     I think wrestling this year in college, has made Kyle even more dangerous for his future freestyle opponents.   The kid as a tank, a wrestling mind, a mind-over-matter thing going on.  If he isn't a wrestling demi-god at least, then I am Mickey Mouse. 

I am very petty, thanks for noticing.  Behind my stunning good looks, positive attitude, and world class humility, my pettiness is probably my greatest attribute.  

Congratulations to Snyder, the guy is special, he has got a bright future ahead of him.  However, I, for one, won't be going to bed with a raging hard on over his performance tonight.  Good night folks, and God bless.

Were talking about wrestling and you bring boners up?  What the heck is wrong with you.   Wrestling and sexual arousal have no business being in the same thread.  Get it together. 

Snyder wasn't a god today, he was just lucky that Gwiz doesn't know how to close out a match.  A win is a win though, I suppose.

Two time defending champion, who defeated a two time NCAA Champion for his first title, and on an 88 match winning streak in a loaded HWT field, and he doesn't know how to win now?  

Spin doctor this one a little more.  It ain't over til the fat lady sings.  Or internet people have public meltdowns.  

Edited by Fishhook

Match Discussion: 

1) Gwiz scored twice by countering Snyder.  He had a very good game plan.  He had worked out with Snyder previously and clearly knew what to expect.

2) Gwiz tired first which is the only reason Snyder won.  Gwiz is so good he hasn't gotten pushed in college while Snyder has been wrestling international comp.  Advantage for Snyder.

3) Gwiz had nearly 20 secs to escape before end of 3rd period.  If he does, he almost certainly wins.  In my mind, that's why Gwiz lost.

Great match.....great champions.  I hope they train together in the future.

I hope they train together in the future.

I doubt they do much until Tervel hangs 'em up.   I think getting the escape became much harder for Gwiz after he tried to cradle Kyle.  Getting wrist control when your forearms are shot is really hard.  So he couldn't do that and his only option was to basically run and hope for stalling on the ankle thing rule.  Not that you are wrong, but Kyle was 30 lbs lighter and the fact he was still fresh, particularly after fighting off that cradle, is amazing. I though he would be shot after fighting the cradle.   His tank may be the best I have ever seen in the upperweights. Ever. 

That's fine to say P4P Snyder is better. He's a world champion. Not many would argue. But still, let's not act like we haven't seen a 30 pound difference in the heavyweight division before.

Most sporting events are decided by the will to win and the last moments of the bout or game.  No one even cares about basketball until the last 5 minutes.  You train to win there.  The guys beating Kyle in the past few years have been able to get ahead and hold on, but Kyle has an extra gear at the end.  We saw that against Gadisov and we saw that last night.  To beat Kyle, Gwiz needed to to make changes in his tactics as well.

If you are a real pro at watching the small things in wrestling you will notice that Kyle was all over Gwiz's legs most of the match, suggesting he was winning the hand fight and getting through Gwiz's hand defense.  The technique that has worked for Kyle against Gadisov and most everyone else, has been a low single type shot, where he pulls the legs under the man, so he can't get any leverage or hip power to defend. Its quite brilliant.  To do this he has extremely heavy hands that are snapping the whole time.  He had Gwiz snapped in a downwards motion the whole match which is extremely wearing.  The problem Kyle found was that Gwiz has shorter legs than any heavy he has seem in some time.  So Kyle has a little less leverage to pull the leg under.  And since Gwiz is quick, he had less of a hold on the leg as well.  Believe me, Gwiz is quick.  But he underestimated, as I did at home, that Kyle would slightly alter his attack strategy in the third period.  He had to set it up somewhat better and did so the two takedowns he got to tie and win the match.  Gwiz knew he needed one of those two takedowns to win it, surely. And he either couldn't set up his own stuff well enough, mostly because he was getting snapped all around, or he tried to rely on the same counters, when Kyle had already made some changes. It was seriously impressive that he did that.  Like a great coach at halftime, he made the right changes. But he did it on the fly against a dude 30 pounds heavier than him.  

Gwiz is a champion. BUt Kyle proved so much to me, it flat-out amazes me you don't seem capable of seeing that.  We were all impressed by Gwiz, but when Kyle broke him.....come on?

That's fine to say P4P Snyder is better. He's a world champion. Not many would argue. But still, let's not act like we haven't seen a 30 pound difference in the heavyweight division before.

He was better.  Pound for pound has nothing to do with it.