Sign in to follow this  
TripNSweep

Watching the finals is tough

I don't have cable at home so I have to go to a bar and watch it. 

So I went to a neighborhood Mexican bar/restaurant that has a lot of open seating and where I've gone to watch football a few times.  It's the kind of place you can get a giant margarita for like $20 that would probably give you alcohol poisoning if you drank it in one sitting.  So I asked if they could turn the channel to ESPN.  So the manager comes in during the end of the Clark/Garrett match and changes it, even though I was the only one sitting in the bar watching it, and says that they can't show that, because they have all the TV's reserved for the NCAA tournament.  I said that this was the NCAA tournament, and he said that people were coming to watch basketball so they had to change it.  I asked him what people and he just said that they can't do that because it would hurt business.  So I told him, you're right, it is hurting business, I'm not going to stay here and I'll go give business to another establishment who will listen to their customers.  So I went down the street to a different bar, watched the finals without incident and gave them my money instead. 

Missed the Heil final though. 

Horrible. A group of us used to go to a bar and try to watch it together if we weren't actually there. After a couple inevitable confrontations we decided it just wasn't worth it. It's truly such a great sport but gets little to no respect outside the circle.

I hope you enjoyed the rest of your night at the second establishment.

It just seemed really stupid.  Why chase away literally your only customer in the bar?  There were lots of other people there, sitting outside and in other sections, so it wasn't like I was trying to subject anyone to the horrors of watching NCAA wrestling.  Not that it's a big deal, but there's 5 other TV's showing basketball, god forbid somebody isn't able to watch UConn vs Kansas on just one screen. 

That brings up the issue which has been exhausted in the past, why not hold the championships 1 week earlier?  Have all of the qualifying tournaments finish up on a Saturday, announce the wildcards and brackets on Sunday evening, and then start things on Thursday or Friday.  Trying to go head-to-head vs March Madness is, well, madness.

It's alright guys we gained some new fans tonight. Had a big family party tonight at a salon hall that included a small bar with two tv's. One tv showed wrestling the other basketball. Happy to say most people at the bar were watching wrestling and were actually entertained.

I do the same. I do not have a sports package with Comcast. So ... the local bar is my spot. It starts with me getting one of the 20 TV's turned over to wrestling, and I settle in for a night of wrestling. Sure enuf ... little by little a guy or 2 will move over and join me. By the time we are on the 133 class or so...... I have friends, and the number grows ... Chicks like wrestling as well  :-o

I bartended in a busy bar for a few years with 10 tvs after college.  I would always put on wrestling when I started.  After about my 3rd year I stopped bothering.  The customers would inevitably complain and ask me to change it unless it was a slow week night and the wrestling was a replay anyway and/or there was an MMA crowd.  It didn't matter if I changed it to golf, baseball, football, soccer, hockey, CNN, FOX news, MSG, ESPN, or really anything as long as I changed it.  It annoyed the hell out of me at first, but eventually i realized I was the annoying one as my coworkers were dealing with complaints, the customers were unhappy, and wrestling simply wasn't a crowd pleaser even though I really wanted it on.  I no longer bartend but I still ask for wrestling on the tv when I am out.  Sometimes I get it.  Sometimes the bartenders moan and groan.  The best place to watch it is at home with the few friends who appreciate it.  Most of the exciting events outside of nationals aren't on anyway unless you have a personal subscription.  Tough to grow a sport that doesn't get any public playtime in social settings.  

I sometimes watch at a bar that is owned by a DII AA, also watch UFC fights there. We try to get local coaches and fans together to watch the bigger events. Spread the word, bring a crowd and maybe the bar will keep wrestling on if there are enough interested fans watching.

We had at least half of a bar intensely watching last night, and the bartender still came over and tried to turn on preseason baseball haha he eventually realized who he was interacting with and tried to learn a bit about the finals.  Cool guy, but you can see the "bad for business" status quo mindset.