Aviator12

Ohio State lineup next year at 165/174/184.

After watching Myles Martin win the title at 174 as a true freshman, I immediately thought of next year and the wrench his title run may have put into what's been perceived as the most common sense lineup shuffle next season.

It's no secret Bo Jordan's best weight is 174. It's crazy to notice/observe that Bo looked much more ripped and vascular 9 pounds heavier at 174 vs 165, when you'd think the opposite would be the case. Now if this were Mr Olympia, that observation would have substance... But to go further, Bo looked much much more comfortable and dominant at 174 than 165. He had a better tank, was stronger and was much more active, all adding up to if he not sacrificing for the team this year, 174 is and would no brainer for Bo in the future.

Considering Bo is a captain and top wrestler for the Buckeyes, before tonight, common sense would say next season you put Bo in his best weight class to succeed, and then fill the lineup around him accordingly . You do this most often times for a wrestler you have on your roster that finished 3rd in both his first two seasons wrestling for your program.

Now with Myles Martin WINNING the title at 174, wouldnt the same common sense logic suggest Tom Ryan put Myles where he most feels comfortable next season, and shuffle around him accordingly once the same? Has Myles Martin now earned that right over Bo, since Bo hasn't nor cannot match what Myles accomplished tonight in his true freshman season?

In saying all this, I'm curious to anyone with any knowledge to Bo and Myles weight considerations moving forward. If Bo were to stay at 165 next season, he would once again have his cousin in his path who he's now 0-4 against. At 174, he's probably the favorite next year. Could Bo jump 2 weight classes and go 184 next year in replacing Courts, allowing Martin to stay at 174 to defend his title?

This is all interesting to me because there's no sure fire answer. Myles did start off the season at 184, and from my understanding, could wrestle 184 easily. But competively, does it make sense to bump your freshman national champ up a weight and reward him by putting him the same class as Gabe Dean, Alex Dieringer 2.0 OSU faced this season? If Bo stays 165 and Myles stays 174, there is a huge hole at 184 next season.

Before tonight, I assumed next seasons lineup would have Bo at 174, Myles at 184, and after the grad transfer rumor/pipe dream of Bo's cousin Isaac transferring in for his 5th year to fill 165 dies dead in its tracks, I assumed Isaiah White filled 165. I'm not sure if it's so cut and dry now. I just hope Myles M has earned the respect to have the ball/decision now in his court. He's earned it and deserves it.

Thoughts?

Edited by Aviator12

You must not have seen him at 174 this year. He's top 2 next year at 174, easy. He's night and day between what you see him at 165 then what he's at at 174. It's not even close and I still can't believe he went along with moving down for the team's sake this season. What a sacrifice.

Bo Jordan at 174 is a total hypothetical.  He wrestled 7 matches there against terrible competition.  There is nothing to indicate 174 is a better weight for him.  I'm not saying your hypothetical lineup is a bad idea, and I'm not saying he won't be better at 174, I'm saying him being great at 174 is not as clear as you're making it out to be.  

And I agree that I'd base my lineup on where my national champ wanted to wrestle.  I wouldn't put my national champ up against Gabe Dean unless he wanted to wrestle up against Gabe Dean. 

Edited by boconnell

You must not have seen him at 174 this year. He's top 2 next year at 174, easy. He's night and day between what you see him at 165 then what he's at at 174. It's not even close and I still can't believe he went along with moving down for the team's sake this season. What a sacrifice.

My son despite being the 2nd best kid on the HS team this year chose to not wrestle at the correct higher weight -- cost us a bunch. He was cutting way too much. But didn't want to remove one of his teammates. It still hurts as he was unable to perform at state at the Lower weight. We chose poorly. I don't know why tOSU did it either. Hopefully both will benefit in the long run.

I don't know why tOSU did it either. Hopefully both will benefit in the long run.

A coaches job is to win TEAM championships. How do you guys not get the rationale here? Keep Bo at 174 and put a backup in at 165, this is what you thought Ryan should have done. Had he done that, you get ZERO points at 165 and MAYBE a finalist at 174 (If you are inferring Bojo would just March to a title through Bo Nikal you are not being objective). Instead of that you put Bo at 165 and MyMar 174.... get an NCAA champ at 174 and a 3rd place AA finish at 165 along with a 3rd place team placement.

No brainer

Bucksfan:  Ryan has failed to develop backups at key weights and/or land the right recruits.  So, while 1st and 3rd were the result, it doesn't disguise the fact that this wasn't the plan.  Bucks will have a big lineup problem next season if Nate moves up as they currently have no one to go 125.  

Bo cut down for the team. So did Micah an NATO. Gotta reward them by letting them bump up when the opportunity is there.

Agreed and great point. LemonPie, you troll so well on these boards but you occasionally post some very insightful comments. Are you DF's alter ego?

I think Bo becomes better as he grows into his roll as a father.  The first month of having a baby is very hard. The next few months are harder, then you start to get it.  I seriously think Bo's biggest struggles this year were from balancing training and parenting. And school. 

Myles Martin won his title and no one can take it away.  But excepting his finals victory, his wins came against a pretty pedestrian group by D1 NCAA tourney standards.  One can't assume that first at NCAA's means he is better than Bo Jordan or somehow gets weight class preference over him.  I think Myles and Bo both move up....but Coach Ryan will do as he sees fit.  

Bucks have several recruits coming in the 165 range.  One will start.

Martin will be fine at 184. Most likely an AA, even in that brutal weight class. He probably won't win it, but Ryan can redshirt him if they decide being a 4xer is a goal that is important to Myles and the program. But with Hayes coming off redshirt, and if Snyder comes back, I'm not sure they will want to do that. They have a great shot at the title.

Edited by LemonPie

I thought Martin looked huge for 174 last night. Looks like he could easily transition to 184. Then Bo Jo goes to 174. Micah to 149 or 157, NaTo needs to go to 133. I don't even know how he makes 125. 

Edited by TBar1977

I think Bo becomes better as he grows into his roll as a father.  The first month of having a baby is very hard. The next few months are harder, then you start to get it.  I seriously think Bo's biggest struggles this year were from balancing training and parenting. And school.

I think his biggest struggle was having to wrestle his cousin three times this year. Who else did he lose to?

I thought Martin looked huge for 174 last night. Looks like he could easily transition to 184. Then Bo Jo goes to 174. Micah to 149 or 157, NaTo needs to go to 133. I don't even know how he makes 125. 

NaTo looked a weight class smaller than Gilman and Youtsey. No reason he cant make the weight for one more season. I'd imagine he'd also love the chance to get revenge on Gilman and have him finish his Hawkeye career without a title

I think his biggest struggle was having to wrestle his cousin three times this year. Who else did he lose to?

That is true, but he had to worry about his little girl while Isaac didn't. This was a big year of adjustment for Bo. Plus he was injured early int he season. No excuses, but the difference between he and Ike is small and that injury and having that child might have been the difference. Moving forward he should be able to balance it all better.  This isn't to take away from Isaac Jordan. He may indeed be just that much better. But in order to beat him, Bo has a better chance if he is fully healthy and all in.  There is also more to it than that.  I know that the Jordan rivalry has created a small rift in the family that Bo appears eager to mend. The hug at the end of the match was very healthy for him and Ike.  That has been a very hard hurdle for both and something they may want to put behind them. On a personal note, I was the first class of kids to be in the Jordan club and Jim and Jeff are my idols, so I'd much prefer to see them as the duo I remember coaching me up.  Jim was a special, special coach and wrestler.