JerseyJoey

General Crowd Observations

- Clearly Penn State had the biggest contingent followed by Cornell. Surprised that Virginia Tech might have been 3rd, slightly ahead of Rutgers.

- I have been to over a dozen NCAAs and this was the smallest Iowa crowd that I have ever seen. Obviously geography played a part, but I dont think it is the whole thing.

- Most Mid Westerners I spoke to werent thrilled about NYC but seemed to warm up to it a little by the end of the week. I understand your concerns but it is important to the sport to move it around.

- Very conservative and patriotic crowd. (I understand that isnt the same thing. ) I doubt Donald Rumsfeld gets that kind of reaction at a Knicks game. Was nice to see so many people singing along with the National Anthem, again you dont see that at a Knicks game.

- There were certain types of people that many fans seemed to be rooting against. Especially when it came to stalling. Will leave it at that, but I dont think everyone gets treated the same by the crowds or the refs when it comes to stalling.

- Definitely some curmudgeons in the crowd. I saw a few instances where some young or teenage kids were having a little harmless fun and some old timers got cranky with them. We need to think about the future of our sport. It was a VERY old crowd. Lets be more accomodating to the kids. Be nice to them, embrace their enthusiasm. If the announcers are going to ask about who has been there for 30 years and who has been a former All American maybe also asked who placed in their high school or youth states this year.

Overall I thought the event was a nice success. Looking forward to going back to the Mid West next year. Would love to see it in the West Coast some day, I dont think LA would work but wrestling is popular in Northern California and I think we all anticipate the Arizona State program coming on strong so maybe that neck of the woods is an option.

The usual, cost and some folks just arent city people. Manhattan on St. Paddy,s day is a lot to deal with if it is your first time in the city. But again the folks I was sitting with had definitely warmed up to it by the end of the week.

The usual, cost and some folks just arent city people. Manhattan on St. Paddy,s day is a lot to deal with if it is your first time in the city. But again the folks I was sitting with had definitely warmed up to it by the end of the week.

I didn't even think about St. Paddy's Day...Some of those old-timers heads must have been spinning.

The crowd was lacking the midwestern team flair.  Seemed to miss the large Minny, Wisky, Iowa contingents.  There was a bunch of Iowa supporters but seemed not to be as large as in years past.  The Okie State crowd was next to me and was loud and having a great time.  19k plus fans.  i cannot comment on the 200 level.  Were there more team sections up there?  What a great nigh!!

Why hasn't Pittsburgh hosted the finals yet?  Great city, great fan base, close to Cleveland and all of western PA is wrestling crazy and arguably the best wrestling in the country.

- Clearly Penn State had the biggest contingent followed by Cornell. Surprised that Virginia Tech might have been 3rd, slightly ahead of Rutgers.

- I have been to over a dozen NCAAs and this was the smallest Iowa crowd that I have ever seen. Obviously geography played a part, but I dont think it is the whole thing.

- Most Mid Westerners I spoke to werent thrilled about NYC but seemed to warm up to it a little by the end of the week. I understand your concerns but it is important to the sport to move it around.

- Very conservative and patriotic crowd. (I understand that isnt the same thing. ) I doubt Donald Rumsfeld gets that kind of reaction at a Knicks game. Was nice to see so many people singing along with the National Anthem, again you dont see that at a Knicks game.

- There were certain types of people that many fans seemed to be rooting against. Especially when it came to stalling. Will leave it at that, but I dont think everyone gets treated the same by the crowds or the refs when it comes to stalling.

- Definitely some curmudgeons in the crowd. I saw a few instances where some young or teenage kids were having a little harmless fun and some old timers got cranky with them. We need to think about the future of our sport. It was a VERY old crowd. Lets be more accomodating to the kids. Be nice to them, embrace their enthusiasm. If the announcers are going to ask about who has been there for 30 years and who has been a former All American maybe also asked who placed in their high school or youth states this year.

Overall I thought the event was a nice success. Looking forward to going back to the Mid West next year. Would love to see it in the West Coast some day, I dont think LA would work but wrestling is popular in Northern California and I think we all anticipate the Arizona State program coming on strong so maybe that neck of the woods is an option.

ESPN should absolutely take your advice. 

If you are saying that black wrestlers are treated unfairly when it comes to stalling, then you are 100% correct. Been like that for years and It's unfortunate.

I find it interesting that others are noticing this as well, kind of helps to confirm what i seemed to be observing.  I would like to see some sort of official study on this.

There are alot of good arguments for moving the tournament around and hitting different areas of the country, but all I know is it's back in St. Louis next year where it should be.  Centrally located, they do an awesome job of running the tournament, and very affordable (esp. compared to NYC).  If the NCAA made StL the permanent home like they have with Omaha for baseball, you'd always get some whiners, but you know it would be done right.

There are alot of good arguments for moving the tournament around and hitting different areas of the country, but all I know is it's back in St. Louis next year where it should be.  Centrally located, they do an awesome job of running the tournament, and very affordable (esp. compared to NYC).  If the NCAA made StL the permanent home like they have with Omaha for baseball, you'd always get some whiners, but you know it would be done right.

Were things not done right this week? I went to Sessions 3 and 6 and watched most of the rest online or on TV and it looked like a well run operation from what I saw. 

I agree

not near as many Iowa fans

I noticed a much fuller arena on Thursday

a much fuller arena for round 5

huge PSU and Cornell crowds

VT had a large and growing yearly crowd.

Food cheaper than I thought it would be.

The wrestling throughout the tourney was spectacular.

VT is NOT going away!!

That wasn't meant to be a slight on NYC, but when you constantly move the championships around some cities do it right and some are lacking.  In St. Louis you know for sure that it's going to be done right.

That wasn't meant to be a slight on NYC, but when you constantly move the championships around some cities do it right and some are lacking.  In St. Louis you know for sure that it's going to be done right.

there were a few things that showed the people in charge were NOT wrestling people.

probably the thing that stuck out the most in that regard was how the individual awards were done...... down in a corner almost hidden. I could list some more but I don't want to give the impression that many things were poorly done. Which wasn't the case.

I find it interesting that others are noticing this as well, kind of helps to confirm what i seemed to be observing.  I would like to see some sort of official study on this.

I lived it and it sucks... there was a saying that I've heard something like "chocolate melts".  That said, the commenters have really turned it around. We heard more about Mymar and Nashon's technical skill then their athleticism. Small steps.

My biggest gripe was the replay on the main screen. Why didn't they just inset them like the coaches? A lot of us down low had to rely on the video for a good view and the showed replays while action was going on.

Obviously, not a big issue over all.

As to the awards podium, there really wasn't a good place for it. I was a small part of the discussion of what to do with it (mostly just listening). It wasn't that non-wrestling people made the decision, it was more that a lot more seats opened up for the finals than was originally realized. You might have noticed that there was no backdrop for the photos as is usually the case. They actually had made one. It needs to be 10 feet high (about 3 feet for the height of the podium plus 6 or so for the winner.) There isn't anywhere in the arena with 10 feet below the seats other than maybe at the voms (corner exits from the floor). The voms are used to let the wrestlers enter so that wasn't an option. The head table was down in the one end zone and they did some light show in the area in front of the table plus the runways and there were seats on the other three sides of the platform. The only way to have gotten more podium room would have been to eliminate some of the show aspects or some seats. One option briefly considered was to just present the placewinners on the mat and do podium shots in the back of the arena.

If you are saying that black wrestlers are treated unfairly when it comes to stalling, then you are 100% correct. Been like that for years and It's unfortunate.

I have always had this thought in the back of my mind. Interesting to see someone else put it in writing.

Virginia Tech section was right next to the Penn State section and they were great. Big group that was really into it. Cornell had a ton of fans and Rutgers showed up as well. That corner of the arena was a sea of red. Oklahoma State also had a nice showing, especially considering they had to travel a lot further. 

Edited by Flying-Tiger