JerseyJoey

General Crowd Observations

scrambler i don't care why you didn't enjoy your trip to new york. i'm assuming the problem is with you, not the city.

and that would hold true for just about anyone and any city. if you go on vacation and don't enjoy it, chances are you are miserable, not the place you visit. 

just my opinion.

Edited by Jaroslav Hasek

If you don't care than why did you choose to respond to my opinion?   

To clarfiy, I go to the NCAA for the "complete wrestling fan" experience.  I stated i  enjoyed the wrestling, i just didn't enjoy the city........

For you to comment on my post, only shows that you have your own problems you are dealing with. 

Edited by scrambler

There is no city that is unanimously liked... which is why it's a great idea to keep rotating.  Cities that have done a good job in the past should get another chance a few years down the road, which seems to be the way it's being handled. 

Of course not everyone likes NYC, there's nothing wrong with that.

Lucas Oil seats like 70,000.

Using the endzone seating configuration would make it practical. This is the one that is used by Syracuse for their basketball program. Also, been used by the Frozen Four.

The reason I like it is because you could hold the fan fest on the football field. It would be in the same venue but out of the wrestling area. Another good location for the setup would be Atlanta.

This configuration makes basketball and ice-hockey able to hold more than a traditional arena (usually about 25k rather than 18k).

http://orig03.deviantart.net/8b99/f/2006/332/d/9/syracuse_carrier_dome_by_spacetime.jpg

https://stadiafile.files.wordpress.com/2012/11/img_6376.jpg

http://cdn.sandiegouniontrib.com/img/photos/2010/04/08/c847d456-f9e6-4f62-86a6-8ee262e17704news.ap.org_tx600.jpg?1cac1c26287decec7a3e591fce9b6936b1eddfe5

For the record, I like moving the event around. I have always noticed a lot more fans from local programs no matter where the event is located. I think that shows that people get exposed to the event that probably wouldn't otherwise have attended if they had to travel.

Some more random observations...

It did seem like there were a lot less Iowa fans - at least no where near as loud as Philadelphia

That chin whip(s) by Matt Miller were awesome, also very cool that Donald Rumsfeld presented trophys to Miller and the 184 lb guys

Sat with Penn State fans who were knowledgable and very friendly

Great idea about recognizing High School/Middle School placers

Agree, definitely could not see the podium hidden in the corner

Also, the Bar Stool seats on the 200 level (concession floor) were simply awesome!  Lots of leg room, could lean and rest on the table/counter, was eye level with the jumbo screen and there were flat screens below us everywhere, could walk to the bathroom without having to step over other people, was 25 feet from concessions - awesome seats!

Terao was a crowd pleaser for sure but also have to give props to Tomasello coming back to place 3rd after very tough loss

If the NCAA were to bring the tournament to the east every few years maybe alternate between NYC and Philly - the fan fest in Philly was great

Pretty cool to see a fellow South Plainfield Tiger AA!

and finally, sold some extra early session tickets last week and then extra finals tickets on Saturday to the same guy - his son wound up winning the 174 lb title... not a bad weekend

Los Angeles! It is time

LA is a great location, and it would be interesting to see who (locally) attends.  There's a strong freestyle contingent due to the large Persian, Russian, Armenian, Mongolian and European pockets in Los Angeles, as well as the interest that Henry Cejudo and more recently, Aaron Pico and the Valencia Bros have generated in the area. There are also some fantastic programs in CA like St. John Bosco, Clovis, San Marino, Gilroy, Buchanan, Poway, etc. which would be a nice treat right on the heels of the CIF state tournament; and maybe some attendees from the Southern California MMA contingent, given the level of interest out west. And of course, there are the Pac-12 and JUCO programs.

Staples Center could be a good venue. Public transit to DTLA are good and there are a lot of dining and entertainment options with the downtown revitalization. Honda Center in OC might also be good, though I'm not sure if it could accommodate the matspace. Definitely not the last place where worlds was at (the Sports Arena?) -- that's a bad part of town to be in.

Are there any potential issues with altitude/acclimation in Denver?

I think arena size would be the biggest issue.

In all honesty there are probably only about 15 arenas in the country that could host the event. Probably half of them don't have a school that would be the primary host.

MSG holds 18,200 fans. 

Consol in Pittsburgh can house 19k+ and Bryce Jordan Center in State College can seat 15k+. Given the hotbed PA is for wrestling, either would be great choices. The only issue with BJC is that air travel wouldn't be easy given the less than ideal State College Airport. 

Personally, i don't care where they have them in the future, as long as they never go back to NYC.

With the exception of the 9/11 memorial museum and the wrestling, which was the best wrestling i have seen in my 15 years of attendance, i did not enjoy anything NYC had to offer.

Let me start by saying that my annual trip to the NCAA is the only vacation i get as an educator, wrestling coach, and father.  So, when i go to the NCAA tournament i go for the complete wrestling fan experience.  NYC did not offer that in the least.  The city pretty much swallowed the tournament up.  Over the years, i have enjoyed the host cities honoring the tournament.  When you check into the hotels their are posters, rooms keys, fan guides for the tournament.  The streets are lined with flags , etc.   The city showcases the event.  NYC offered none of that experience for wrestling fans.  

Just my opinion.......

Maybe you should just skip it when it is in NY and watch it on ESPN.... and actually go on a different vacation.  Just my opinion :-)))

I think arena size would be the biggest issue.

In all honesty there are probably only about 15 arenas in the country that could host the event. Probably half of them don't have a school that would be the primary host.

Rider and Siena hosted in Albany in 2002. Siena doesn't have a team and Rider is in another state so I don't think the hosting issue is very important.

Are there any potential issues with altitude/acclimation in Denver?

I was talking with someone who wrestled in Laramie. Altitude/acclimation was incredibly important. Some teams  brought oxygen for recovery. Those who did not would be lying on the Mat for 5-15 minutes after a bout. Laramie, admittedly is 200 feet higher, but yes, teams would need to come 3-5 days early, bring (or buy locally) oxygen, and use diomox.

Flights might be a little cheaper to denver, but add 3-5 days room and board.

Lincoln has the new Pinnacle arena and is a centrally perfect location.

The central point of the US halfway between the north and south, halfway between east and west is near MacKenzie British Columbia. Not the best point. I am sure Lincoln is a nice little city, but has worse disadvantages than Penn State not much of a local airport, 100 miles from a secondary airport (Omaha as opposed to Harrisburg) but no Pittsburgh 150 miles away or Baltimore Washington 180.

Someone said Youngstown Ohio. Actually that is near the eastwest halfway point. I would guess Pitt, tOhSU, WVa would be closest to D1 wrestling Center)  So Cleveland, Columbus, Pittsburgh, DC. But like I said, Even Years in the East (and maybe Southeast, Odd In the Midwest, or farther west. It was almost criminal that between 2003-2010 the only "east" tourney was Detroit. (would not Joe Louis Arena have made more sense than Auburn Hills?)