Sign in to follow this  
TripNSweep

So what does Iowa do now?

They've got some options, but here's what I think they're looking at.

1) They tell Brands x2 that if they don't win next year they're out.

2) They fire Brands x2, rehire Gable and hope he can lead them back.

3) They fire Brands x2, and offer Sanderson anything he wants.

4) They fire Brands x2, and then hire the best possible coaching staff they can. 

5) They drop wrestling at Iowa.

6) Step 1. Fire the coach, Step 2. Hire a midget, Step 3????, Step 4 profit!

Have a provision to allow them a "Double" recruiting class every 2 years or so. It worked pretty good a while back.

I think that's where Terry goes someplace for 2 years. Tom steps down. They hire Terry to take his place, and he brings over his recruits. Then he hires Tom back as his assistant and head of the HWC. That's onehell of a House of Cards style move there.

Who would've thought back when Tom and the Metcalf gang left VA tech that they would wind up losing to Vtech in the NCAAs?  Va Tech went all in when they hired Brand only to be scorned by their departure.  I recall some people thought that would be the death of  the program.   VT hired a HS coach in Dresser, albeit a national champion,  and we have watched him slowly build a national power.  Dresser's is building a program equal to Iowa.  Over the next decade, who do you see as having the upper hand?  

I bleed maroon and don't like IA as much as any gopher fan in regards to competition, but I have moved on from the "double recruiting class" three of those kids would have gone to IA if brands wasn't coaching somewhere else, and Metcalf would have gone to Cal Poly if that is where brands was. I see his situation very similar to David Taylor and ISU, the Cyclones were just nicer about it.

As for this season, each of the top 5 teams had a key player not contribute. PSU had nevilles injured all year, Okstate lost Brock who showed promise and crutchemer, Ohstate never got hunter back, VT had dance grossly underperform, and IA lost Stoll late. So while IA wasn't the only one affected, they and VT were the only two that lost points late in the season or with dance in the tourney. If Stoll is healthy he gets IA 10 points if not more.

Edited by gopher_fan_90

Iowa will be fine going forward. Maybe not NCAA Champs, but still good. They have three finalists coming back.

Gilman

Clark

Carton

Sorenson

Kemrer

Marinelli or Paddock

Paddock or Meyer

Brooks

Meyer or that other guy

Stoll

That's a solid team.

Edited by TBar1977

The Brands are there to stay. They still get a lot out of the recruits they can get in, which is a strength even if it amounts to brainwashing the athletes. Quite frankly, their weaknesses are recruiting. Clearly they rely on the Iowa mystic, but their antics and pathological behavior limit the recruiting field.

The problem as i see it for iowa is the lack of high end talent in the state of iowa.  They will have always have couple of bad hombres in HS every year but not the shear #s of PA or OH.  So they will rely upon the couple of Iowa blue chippers and then they are going to have to out recruit Cael and Ryan for the eltes from OH and PA.  heck even the elite of NJ.   They will have to battle it out for 2nd tier recruits from PA, OH and NJ  with  the likes of RU, Va Tech & NC State.  BC in my opinion, the top tier PA/OH kids will want to stay home .  I imagine that Maranelli went there bc of the log jam at 65, 74, 84 at OSU.   Its going to be challenge.  The brands do not have broad appeal, they appeal to a certain type of wrestler and family which reduced the overall pool of qualified recruits. 

Similar to UCLA hops and ND fball, Iowa will always be chasing the ghost of glory past.  It is going to be increasingly difficult in the day and age.  They will win now and again and always be in the hunt but parity has killed the 20 year dynasty and it isnt coming back

What does Iowa do?  Change with the times.  I posted this on another thread, but the whole push-shove-beat everybody up approach is past its expiration date.  You've got coaches like Cael, Ryan, Smith, Koll, etc., teaching greater technical skills combined with the old Iowa conditioning base and it's winning.  The classic "Iowa Style" is no longer producing NCAA team titles or World and Olympic medals like it once did, so why not attempt to evolve with the times?  Pushing and shoving and not opening up a leg attack is not a paradigm for success now.  Either you adapt and grow or you get left behind.  Hey, fifth in the nation is damn good, but it's not the tradition or expectation Iowa is used to and doing things like they've always been done won't meet the lofty traditional goals of the program.  JMHO.

Cael is the best coach in college right now and he gets the best recruits on top of it.  Oklahoma State is probably 2nd best in the recruiting game with Ohio State in 3rd.  Iowa still gets a lot out of guys like Meyer and Brooks.  I don't think they're doing anything wrong (other than their penchant for occasionally being poor sports) unless failure to win NCAA's makes them ashamed.  

Meanwhile, the ACC is streaking forward and becoming a legit threat to BT supremacy.  And Mizzou and Cornell are both outstanding.  Lots of excellent teams right now in D1 (Nebraska, Rutgers deserve mention) and many schools are on the rise and taking steps to improve.

Morningstar has to go, the Brands Bros had tons of accomplishments at the college and international level. Ryan Mornigstar was one of the most boring college wrestlers of the last 25 years. Collar tie push, sprawl and ride an ankle on top. Nothing else, zero angles, creativity or offense from anywhere. The sport now is about offense and scoring, something he never did. I do like the brands bros and they should stay but they need an asst. coach who didn't wrestle like them, someone who was funky and won because of tech. and scrambles, not just cardio and toughness. Jason Welsh comes to mind.

Maybe offer the job to Dresser. He is an Iowa guy, after all?

I gather that Iowa no longer gets the best recruits. But are they getting the most of their upper weight guys like Brooks, who did win a world junior medal after all? 

Brooks was one of their highlights this year. Hard to find fault with him. Could he have been in the finals? Sure, but 184 was a tough weight that would have different guys in different places on the podium every time you wrestled it again with only Dean being consistently at #1.

Jason Welch as an assistant is a really interesting thought, actually.

The issue at Iowa is recruiting not coaching.  Look at the names that Cael is putting on the mat and compare them to Iowa.  I dont know about Nico but Mcintosh, retherford, Nolf , and nickal were all overall top 10 recruits. I believe mccintosh might have even been number 1

Iowa is doing a great job of coaching the guys they get, they just aren't getting the same caliber of wrestling talent as psu, Ohio State, Okie State, etc

Who would've thought back when Tom and the Metcalf gang left VA tech that they would wind up losing to Vtech in the NCAAs?  Va Tech went all in when they hired Brand only to be scorned by their departure.  I recall some people thought that would be the death of  the program.   VT hired a HS coach in Dresser, albeit a national champion,  and we have watched him slowly build a national power.  Dresser's is building a program equal to Iowa.  Over the next decade, who do you see as having the upper hand?  

Iowa...but V tech will make it interesting.  

I owa always got great recruits from Ohio and Pennsylvania and around the country, on top of great homegrown talent.  But everyone has always pegged Ohio State and Penn State as sleeping giants with some real potential.  Oklahoma state is where the always are, which is great.  Arizona St is going to get some west coast talent to make this even more interesting too.  Iowa is doing fine, but even Gable didn't have to deal with awakening giants.  Furthermore you have VTech Virginia, now NCState, and others like Mizzou really coming on.  The MAC itself is getting stronger and stronger, so the Big Ten and Iowa in specific will always be great but may struggle with the depth of the Gable year Iowa squads.  

Iowa was never a threat to win the title. Too many holes. But they're just one late season injury at an event Brands didn't even want to participate in (rightly or wrongly) from second or third.

The recruiting thing is real. Look at Penn State's lineup. Nico, Gulibon, Retherford, Nolf, Nickal, McIntosh, Nevills are all top 5-10 wrestlers p4p their senior years. One guy struggled and another was just injured all year, though that may be a recurring issue at this point for him. Most guys that high aren't going to miss with good coaching.

Iowa doesn't have a top 10 overall guy in their lineup. I think the host ranked recruit is Stoll who was ~15.

Next year they add Kemerer and Marinelli, both talents at that level. Lee would obviously be huge, but it's tough on Iowa that he's from Pennsylvania.

Iowa also has a high level talent in Mejia coming in and a high upside athlete in Kaleb Young, something that's been missing in Iowa lineups.

Anyway, I'm not freaking out. We're a very late season injury away from 2nd or 3rd, plus we had two points taken from us in the Brooks-Abounader match that cost us the podium spot. We had 3 finalists, which is awesome. We'll see.

Iowa was never a threat to win the title. Too many holes. But they're just one late season injury at an event Brands didn't even want to participate in (rightly or wrongly) from second or third.

The recruiting thing is real. Look at Penn State's lineup. Nico, Gulibon, Retherford, Nolf, Nickal, McIntosh, Nevills are all top 5-10 wrestlers p4p their senior years. One guy struggled and another was just injured all year, though that may be a recurring issue at this point for him. Most guys that high aren't going to miss with good coaching.

Iowa doesn't have a top 10 overall guy in their lineup. I think the host ranked recruit is Stoll who was ~15.

Next year they add Kemerer and Marinelli, both talents at that level. Lee would obviously be huge, but it's tough on Iowa that he's from Pennsylvania.

Iowa also has a high level talent in Mejia coming in and a high upside athlete in Kaleb Young, something that's been missing in Iowa lineups.

Anyway, I'm not freaking out. We're a very late season injury away from 2nd or 3rd, plus we had two points taken from us in the Brooks-Abounader match that cost us the podium spot. We had 3 finalists, which is awesome. We'll see.

Not only all that...but you guys sold the biggest meet in history when you wrestled Oklahoma St.  That was historic like lights at wrigley. Your fan base, along with PSU, and maybe Oklahoma St is unmatched. Hopefully my Buckeyes have duals like the ones you get to enjoy as a Hawk fan.  You should be proud, and it appears you are.  Not satisfied, but not ashamed either.  Doesn't hurt to have a history that the Boston Celtics and UCLA Basketball would envy.