Sign in to follow this  
TripNSweep

So what does Iowa do now?

Iowa will be fine going forward. Maybe not NCAA Champs, but still good. They have three finalists coming back.

Gilman

Clark

Carton

Sorenson

Kemrer

Marinelli or Paddock

Paddock or Meyer

Brooks

Meyer or that other guy

Stoll

That's a solid team.

What happened to DSJ's brother? Do folks think he'll crack next year's lineup?

Best imminently doable solution: get Spencer Lee to commit.

Why would Spencer want to go to Iowa? I think yesterday prove if he wants to be a NCAA champ and also be a part of team championship, then he needs to stay home.  So much for Iowa fans saying Cael can not coach lower weights as Megaludis took Gilman to the woodshed last night.

Why would Spencer want to go to Iowa? I think yesterday prove if he wants to be a NCAA champ and also be a part of team championship, then he needs to stay home. So much for Iowa fans saying Cael can not coach lower weights as Megaludis took Gilman to the woodshed last night.

I think they have the best lightweight coaching and room in the country. You may not agree because of one match. But it's hard to argue against their consistency at the lower weights.

Also, in case you haven't noticed, Lee's ultimate career ambition is not college wrestling. Iowa has done better than just OK in freestyle as well, while the NLWC has yet to produce anyone. I'm not saying they won't in the future, as Cael is still building that club up, but if you're going to go by history and recent achievements, it's not even remotely close.

PSU has a huge edge on location, but not in coaching lightweights.

Incidentally, I have to imagine that tOSU is also a consideration given how well the freestyle program has done.

I have no dog in this one, since I have no affiliation to those schools and respect all of them.

Edited by wrestlingnerd

Iowa can only do what they can do. Brands will recruit pretty well but even when he lands a stud like Marinelli, Cael goes and finds the one guy who can really beat him in Mark Hall. 

Iowa will always be "in the hunt", but as long as Cael is landing the superstars then their ceiling is probably 2nd. 

PSU does not have edge in coaching lightweights? Nico just went 2-2-3-1, Conoway multiple time AA and Zain is champ. Cael seems to be doing fine with lightweights.

As far as NLWC, I forgot, who does the guy that just beat Metcalf wrestle for ? Oh yeah, NLWC

Why would Spencer want to go to Iowa? I think yesterday prove if he wants to be a NCAA champ and also be a part of team championship, then he needs to stay home.  So much for Iowa fans saying Cael can not coach lower weights as Megaludis took Gilman to the woodshed last night.

But Ohio State has more lower weight champs in recent years with Logan S, Nato and Jaggers.  And Jaggers Stieber and Roselli are coaches there.  Seriously he can't really make a bad choice. Hell he could go to Arizona St.    

OSU is going to join Iowa in the "What are they going to do?" club soon.  Its been ten years since their run and there isn't another one in the pipeline.  

Oklahoma State or Ohio State....I assume the Cowboys. They have some talent too.  Once Smith hangs them up I'm guessing that is your reference.  Yeah that is a hard guy to replace for obvious reasons. 

Iowa can only do what they can do. Brands will recruit pretty well but even when he lands a stud like Marinelli, Cael goes and finds the one guy who can really beat him in Mark Hall.

Iowa will always be "in the hunt", but as long as Cael is landing the superstars then their ceiling is probably 2nd.

Man, it's amazing to watch people become so arrogant. I guess this is what the rest of the wrestling world had to deal with from Iowa fans, but it's just not a good look.

Brands has had 6 different guys wrestle in the finals a combined 10 times in the past 9 years at 125 and 133 along with a total of 15 All-American finishes. Sanderson at ISU and PSU in those 9 years has 1 finalist a total of 3 times and 11 All-Americans.

I think they have the best lightweight coaching and room in the country. You may not agree because of one match. But it's hard to argue against their consistency at the lower weights.

Also, in case you haven't noticed, Lee's ultimate career ambition is not college wrestling. Iowa has done better than just OK in freestyle as well, while the NLWC has yet to produce anyone. I'm not saying they won't in the future, as Cael is still building that club up, but if you're going to go by history and recent achievements, it's not even remotely close.

PSU has a huge edge on location, but not in coaching lightweights.

Incidentally, I have to imagine that tOSU is also a consideration given how well the freestyle program has done.

I have no dog in this one, since I have no affiliation to those schools and respect all of them.

Really, how many world medals have they racked up in the past several years. Metcalf and Ramos both have crapped the bed when the big lights comes on. I could be wrong but the last I remember Hawkeye wrestling club had a world medalist was with Zadick and that been some time ago and they ran him off.  Hell, Ohio State, Nebraska, Nittany Lion wrestling clubs are at least producing world medals this decade. You can't say that  with the Hawkeyes.

Edited by greco_gilligan

Really, how many world medals have they racked up in the past several years. Metcalf and Ramos both have crapped the bed when the big lights comes on. I could be wrong but the last I remember Hawkeye wrestling club had a world medalist was with Zadick and that been some time ago and they ran him off. Hell, Ohio State, Nebraska, Nittany Lion wrestling clubs are at least producing world medals this decade. You can't say that with the Hawkeyes.

Right. All those lightweight world medals. The entire country has had a drought at the lighter weights if you haven't noticed. Coleman Scott is the only guy and he's not even first in the freestyle ladder right now.

The most recent lightweight gold we've had in forever belongs to a guy who didn't even wrestle in college so he could be trained by... Wait, I forget... Who was his coach?

Edited by wrestlingnerd

The inevitable Cejudo card. So are we suppose to ignore the fact he trained exclusively freestyle and never went to Iowa or was a member of their club? This discussion is about Spencer Lee going the college/RTC route and the fact of the matter is Iowa and their club hasn't produced a single world medal at any weight since Brands took over. Compare that with multiple medals for the NLWC and the fact they have the 2012 Gold medal winner at 145 on staff as well. Then throw in Mega as the most recent champ and that Penn State has a longer AA streak at 125 and it becomes very clear that Mr. Lee can certainly reach all of his personal goals while competing on a championship caliber team all while staying close to home.  

Edited by Flying-Tiger

McDonough was healthy enough to beat Mega and place second at BigTens that year. Fact is he was completely burned out by nationals. Sure he was dealing with a nagging injury, however the combination of a massive weight cut and 5 years in the Iowa room is ultimately what did him in.  

Edited by Flying-Tiger

Lol at longest streak of AA at 125. It's true but a very weak argument. His odds of becoming an AA or NC are just plain better if he chose Iowa. He would also have 3 to 4 of the best guys in the country at his weight to train with. That being said, I think he chooses Penn State.

Man, it's amazing to watch people become so arrogant. I guess this is what the rest of the wrestling world had to deal with from Iowa fans, but it's just not a good look.

Its equally amazing watching a grown man and a midwestern lawyer at that get so broken hearted over his team not living up to his standards that he starts to attack people on the internet simply because they won't whisper sweet nothings in his ears. 

And the finals last night were still great, even if they were already over for you.