Sign in to follow this  
judaspriest

Let ESPN hear it !!!

Dear fellow wrestling fans,

At a risk of being compared to a broken record, I would like to ask as many of wrestling fans as possible to contact ESPN with feedback regarding their coverage, something I do every year after the journey is over.

Personally, I very much enjoyed the coverage overall. There are always some minor improvements that can be made and some small pet peeves that all of us have regarding the coverage. The important thing is that just a few years prior to when I started watching the NCAAs, we had a 30-min highlight of the finals on CBS. We now see a sizable sample of the early round matches and medal rounds as well as all matches in the championship bracket from the semis on and even some repeat broadcasts. In addition, ESPN360 allows you to view every single match. This is unbelievable progress.

What is needed now is to keep the pressure on ESPN to let them know that we greatly appreciate the coverage of our sport as well as that there is a lot of us and we don't want the coverage to ever go away.

Please find a couple of minutes to provide your (overall positive, I hope) feedback to ESPN and if you criticize, please be constructive. We already get 90% of what we want and we absolutely want to keep it!!

Here is their feedback form as their phone is 888-549-3776 in case you prefer calling.

Oh and BTN, while at it, is here. Less impressed with them this year (poor choice of duals and fewer of them) but still a great coverage to have.

Thanks,

JP

Edited by judaspriest

Unless you have a personal interest in Flo, why in the world would you want it there instead of ESPN?  Flo's bandwidth has nearly always created problems for viewers of the top events they have streamed.  ESPN ran smoothly for me all weekend and I had 2 computers streaming 4 mats each and another with the scoreboard for the 1st 2 days and then did 4 and 2(with the scoreboard as the 3rd) the last day for the medal rounds.  I was also able to get near HD quality and nearly no buffering on all the screens.  I couldn't even imagine that being remotely possible for FLO.

FLO is great for what they do, but they aren't remotely capable of providing what ESPN does and I didn't even mention the amount of cameras and angles that were provided......

Done!  The coverage has been great and is excellent exposure for wrestling.  ESPN losing out on March Madness might be one of the best things to happen to college wrestling media. I believe CBS & Turner have broadcast rights for the basketball tournament through 2024.  Woohoo!

Is there a list of sponsors we can reach out to and support?

Good idea. I believe Northwestern Mutual has been advertising more than any others.

I will give them a call. They have an online contact form but it seems more geared towards requesting a financial adviser and I am not sure how many are willing to go into those lengths (I am). There are also customer service numbers.

Thanks,

JP

Done. Please all, spread the word and suggest the the multi screen or multi mat function be standard for all cable providers.

I am also posting on FB

I'm going to guess that ESPN would love to have all cable providers offer the multi-screen option but cable providers without rock-solid infrastructure may consider it too much of a bandwidth hog. That's just a guess because there's no logical reason why ESPN would want to cripple its product.

Actually, there is one possible reason now that I think about it: They may charge cable providers more for providing that option. Extra cost in addition to higher bandwidth demands could both make cable providers take a pass.

Unless you have a personal interest in Flo, why in the world would you want it there instead of ESPN?  Flo's bandwidth has nearly always created problems for viewers of the top events they have streamed.  ESPN ran smoothly for me all weekend and I had 2 computers streaming 4 mats each and another with the scoreboard for the 1st 2 days and then did 4 and 2(with the scoreboard as the 3rd) the last day for the medal rounds.  I was also able to get near HD quality and nearly no buffering on all the screens.  I couldn't even imagine that being remotely possible for FLO.

FLO is great for what they do, but they aren't remotely capable of providing what ESPN does and I didn't even mention the amount of cameras and angles that were provided......

Fair points. I guess I just like the way Flo promotes, but ESPN did do a good job and brought in good people. And ESPN airing it doesn't prevent Flo from promoting. I guess the one thing I still really want is access to full matches after the fact.

Fair points. I guess I just like the way Flo promotes, but ESPN did do a good job and brought in good people. And ESPN airing it doesn't prevent Flo from promoting. I guess the one thing I still really want is access to full matches after the fact.

I'm pretty sure you can still see everything now at ESPN3. Although it's not broken down into individual matches but rather just the mat feeds, so maybe that's what you meant? I agree that would be nice to have, but that particular lack is not enough for me to want Flo over ESPN.

I did think Flo did a decent job of promoting even though they weren't providing the streaming.

I'm pretty sure you can still see everything now at ESPN3. Although it's not broken down into individual matches but rather just the mat feeds, so maybe that's what you meant? I agree that would be nice to have, but that particular lack is not enough for me to want Flo over ESPN.

I did think Flo did a decent job of promoting even though they weren't providing the streaming.

Yeah, individual matches is what I was talking about, but I see the point you and others have made - that's not an insurmountable barrier to preferring Flo over ESPN3/the Ocho.

Yeah, individual matches is what I was talking about, but I see the point you and others have made - that's not an insurmountable barrier to preferring Flo over ESPN3/the Ocho.

It's too bad we can't get the ESPN network and reach with Flo coverage (Mark Bader, etc. doing the play by play and color)... similar to the time CBS let ESPN broadcast March Madness but with CBS announcers doing the playcalling.  That would be the best of both worlds.

ESPN provided way more marketing of the event than Flo. Do you know how expensive ad space on ESPN is? We had a lot of NCAA wrestling commercials on all of the ESPN networks leading up to the event. This is a national reach that reaches people who have been a part of the wrestling community but are not the diehard fans that pay a monthly fee to sit hunched over their computer watching open tournaments all year.

There is no way to compare the coverage, announcing, technical capacities, or marketing. ESPN blows Flo out of the water. That isn't a knock at Flo. They do well and own their space but they are not in the same space. It would be like comparing Shack Shack to Ted's Montana Grill. They both do what they do well but they are different and serve different events.

With that said, I have been surprised that Flo doesn't market the championships more. I realize it is another media company but getting more people excited about the event will only serve them better in the long run. You see ESPN promoting events on CBS all the time despite ABC being a part of the same company as ESPN. In the end, they just want people into sports. That's how ESPN thrives. The same is true for Flo and wrestling.

(Posted via mobile)

I don't think the flo announcing style would be an upgrade. In fact, I think it would be worse.

Much worse. We appreciate the passion, but we're already sold on wrestling. The Dick Vitale school of shout-casting might work for basketball but wrestling is a different animal. There's a lot more subtlety and nuance in a 5-2 or 3-1 finals match. Shouting into the mic & overselling the action doesn't serve the casual viewer (read: national ESPN audience) the best way