GoNotQuietly

USA WRESTLING JOB OPPORTUNITY: National Freestyle Head Coach

I wonder if Smith, Manning or Sanderson would lave their current jobs for this.

Definitely would have less resources at their disposal. Smith is coaching his son. Cael is in the middle of building a dynasty. Manning is a great coach, but not sure if he would be the most qualified applicant. Always tough to draw a coach from a big time athletic department.

No offense but hiring Slay would be a few steps backward.  He's a nice guy and all, but he barely competed internationally.  He's literally known for one tournament, to his credit he had the tournament of a lifetime, but that's it.  He doesn't have great coaching accolades prior to going to the OTC either.  If Slay is hired then we are going to regress bigtime. 

No offense but hiring Slay would be a few steps backward.  He's a nice guy and all, but he barely competed internationally.  He's literally known for one tournament, to his credit he had the tournament of a lifetime, but that's it.  He doesn't have great coaching accolades prior to going to the OTC either.  If Slay is hired then we are going to regress bigtime. 

I don't follow. coaching wrestling and competing in wrestling require very different skills. the same can be said for every sport. 

this kind of thinking is likely keeping some of the best coaches in wrestling from getting the best jobs and is probably a large obstacle for the advancement of the sport. 

list of candidates:

Smith

Roselli

Te Brands

Cael

Slay

I'd take Roselli as my best pick, plus one most likely to apply. Smith and Cael ain't leaving. Terry Brands and Slay aren't the best choices.

Whoever gets it though we need to support.

I don't follow. coaching wrestling and competing in wrestling require very different skills. the same can be said for every sport. 

this kind of thinking is likely keeping some of the best coaches in wrestling from getting the best jobs and is probably a large obstacle for the advancement of the sport. 

Slay is a great guy but he lacks both the coaching experience and outside of one year lacks the competition experience.  He'd be better suited to coach in college honestly. 

Slay is a great guy but he lacks both the coaching experience and outside of one year lacks the competition experience.  He'd be better suited to coach in college honestly. 

an Olympics gold is not enough competition experience? what makes wrestling so much different from literally every other sport? the best tennis, boxing, MMA, golf, swimming, track and fencing coaches all don't need MORE than a gold medal in the Olympics (or equivalent). ditto for team sports. do Iran and Russia's wrestling coaches all have more than an Olympic gold? Burnett was the head coach from 1993-2000. Team USA did pretty good during that stretch. Bruce does not have an Olympic gold as a competitor. 

this has nothing to do with Slay or the job itself, I have no inside knowledge nor dog in the fight. I just don't get why american wrestling insists their coaches need to have been the best competitors as well.