GoNotQuietly

USA WRESTLING JOB OPPORTUNITY: National Freestyle Head Coach

Slay had the tournament of a lifetime in 2000.  He never set foot on the mat again to compete.  I'm just gonna say what we all know, he knew that it was never going to get any better for him.  He knew that he would never come close to beating Saitiev again.  He knew there was a very real probability he wouldn't even be able to make another world/Olympic team.  He caught fire at the right time, had everything go his way and shocked the world.  You can't take that away from him at all.  He did it, he earned it.  The problem is, if he's in consideration for this job, he's getting a ton of mileage from something that even though he earned it, he had the tournament of his life to do it.  Prior to 2000 who had ever heard of him?  He was at best a marginal top 10 guy at 167.  He had a pretty good college career at Penn, 2x AA.  I think that's part of why Saitiev didn't take him seriously and lost. 

You'd wouldn't hand an NFL coaching job over to Trent Dilfer who had that one great year with the Ravens, won the Super Bowl and retired.  He was a one year wonder, just like Slay was.  That is no reason to believe Slay would be a good fit to direct our entire national team. 

You'd wouldn't hand an NFL coaching job over to Trent Dilfer who had that one great year with the Ravens, won the Super Bowl and retired.  He was a one year wonder, just like Slay was.  That is no reason to believe Slay would be a good fit to direct our entire national team. 

uh, do you think Bill Belichick ever played a pro game in his life? honestly the NFL is the worst example you could pick to try and prove your point. 

and what about Burnett? how did he manage to coach the team? he was a no hit wonder.

forget Slay for now. pretend he is not up for the job. why are you insisting that multiple world level gold medals is a requirement for the job?

Edited by Jaroslav Hasek

Your arguments make no sense. What does it matter that he stopped competing after his medal? You are saying he isn't a good coach because he wasn't accomplished enough as a wrestler, which is really stupid. The Dilfer analogy is really dumb as well and ignores all of Slay's time as a coach at the OTC.

Your insistence on this issue makes me wonder if you instead have some sort of personal problem with Slay.

I would take somebody like Joe Williams who has 0 world or olympic gold medals over Slay.  Williams put in a lot more time and has been at that top level as a competitor for much longer.  Same with Zadick, Kolat, etc.  Burnett may not have had a great wrestling career himself but he has the coaching experience that Slay doesn't have.  Burnett put in a lot of years as a college coach.  Slay basically has coasted on the fact he had the tournament of his life 16 years ago. 

There are at least half a dozen (if not more) people better qualified than him to take this job.  Hiring him we would take a huge step backwards as far as technical proficiency, and confidence that the leadership at USA Wrestling is anything but glorified cronyism.  I don't think Slay is a very good coach and was hired due to the fact he won an Olympic gold on the best 2 days he's ever had. 

Well, besides Slay, who else would be up for the job?  Jones was doing a nice job, but he left for a college gig.   Who was the Russian guy who was coaching Cejudo?  What ever happened to him?   Perhaps it's time for some foreign blood.  Worked for Cejudo and look at the Puerto Rico kid who won a  world silver and knocked Brent off at Pan Ams, he has a foreign coach (foreign to Puerto Rico's national team) and he did wonders as well.   Any word of a possible purchase of a top Eastern block coach?   Pico's coach has him dismantling NCAA champs at a record rate, and Pico's still a high schooler.   An out of the country coach might be what USA wrestling needs.  Teach these guys how to freestyle.   

Well, besides Slay, who else would be up for the job?  Jones was doing a nice job, but he left for a college gig.   Who was the Russian guy who was coaching Cejudo?  What ever happened to him?   Perhaps it's time for some foreign blood.  Worked for Cejudo and look at the Puerto Rico kid who won a  world silver and knocked Brent off at Pan Ams, he has a foreign coach (foreign to Puerto Rico's national team) and he did wonders as well.   Any word of a possible purchase of a top Eastern block coach?   Pico's coach has him dismantling NCAA champs at a record rate, and Pico's still a high schooler.   An out of the country coach might be what USA wrestling needs.  Teach these guys how to freestyle.   

I doubt many Americans would like somebody like Granit Tarpin running the show. 

Why does the fans require an American to be the head coach? Given the warming relations with Cuba, why not look to some of their coaches? My guess is that those guys would be open to working with Lindland and his Greco program for the benefit of everyone. How about a Turk or an Iranian?

I think the U.S. gets too stuck on having someone from inside our borders. What wouldn't hurt us is having someone from outside our borders who not only runs the OTC, but puts together a comprehensive plan for development from the youth levels on up that will bear fruit for ages to come.

How about this guy I know of...he's older but very experienced.   His name is Dan Gable and he's from Iowa.  Name a better candidate.  He's got the competitor and coaching credentials. 
At least let him coach the Olympic Team as the interim.  Then find someone who's willing and able to stay on for the 2017-2020 cycle. 

Edited by mightymousejm125

Bill Zadick, 

Terry Brands, 

Lou Rosselli, 

Kary Colat, 

Would all be better choices than Slay. 

Question: What qualifies Slay for the National Coach position? What are his coaching accomplishments? 

I've seen a lot of video on Flo of him working with Kilgore and Reader... two guys who haven't come close to  sniffing the World Team. 

I don't think the national coach should be spending his time with the Xs and Os of coaching little Johnnies.  He should be fund raising and doing outreach, setting up infrastructure in Colorado Springs and the regional training centers, pushing US issues to UWW and making sure there are coaches available to have a direct effect on individual wrestlers.  Apart from passion for the sport, this person doesn't even need to be a wrestler.

I don't think the national coach should be spending his time with the Xs and Os of coaching little Johnnies. He should be fund raising and doing outreach, setting up infrastructure in Colorado Springs and the regional training centers, pushing US issues to UWW and making sure there are coaches available to have a direct effect on individual wrestlers. Apart from passion for the sport, this person doesn't even need to be a wrestler.

Now we're talking. Best job description yet.

I don't think the national coach should be spending his time with the Xs and Os of coaching little Johnnies. He should be fund raising and doing outreach, setting up infrastructure in Colorado Springs and the regional training centers, pushing US issues to UWW and making sure there are coaches available to have a direct effect on individual wrestlers. Apart from passion for the sport, this person doesn't even need to be a wrestler.

I'd title that person the Director of Wrestling Opperations not Head National Coach. But yes that is a position which is definitely needed.

His work with the juniors

I thought Zadick was the Jr coach? Either way, I definitely don't think Slay has the chops to get our best guys ready for the World Championship. Barnett, Zeke, Terry all have years of experience competing and coaching at the big show, and aside from whatever developmental work he's done, Slay has exactly 1 World tournament under his belt.