Sign in to follow this  
Fletcher

Northwestern HC?

I know Storniolo wasn't handed the best deck of cards to play, but after the results Northwestern had as the season progressed I would find it hard to believe that they would settle for handing him the job at this point.  They may still considering him a candidate, but no way they lift the label without a extensive coaching search over this spring.  Even after losing some people, Northwestern still has a few hammers that could entice some solid coaches to apply.  But NW also needs to take advantage of the down time of the next few months to find that solid coach before some of the wrestlers get cold feet at the end of the term and start looking at other options.  I'd hope they are smart enough to get the coaching job finalized by the end of the school year, so the team know the direction they are going in before summer starts.

Edited by MadMardigain

There are going to be a lot of guys who want this gig because of it's profile as a university within the Big10, but when they are faced with the academic standards of NU and a roster capped at 22 student-athletes, you'll see a lot of second guessing the decision to apply. This is where I think Drew really was a great fit for the Wildcats. Outside of having been a student-athlete for the team for five seasons, he clearly understood all of those unique dynamics, but knew how to make them work. You can't just toss anyone into that job and expect it to work.