Sign in to follow this  
wrestlingnerd

Nahshohn Garret competing in Olympic Trials

Coach Koll mentioned to one of my good friends that Garrett, now that he qualified by winning NCAAs, will be making the cut to 57 kg and throwing his hat in the ring at the OTT. If there is a dark horse contender, Garret is it.

Edited by wrestlingnerd

Several years back Shawn Bunch was lightning quick and had awsome skills.  Unfortunately, he came up a bit short and left wrestling for MMA.  He was awsome.  I think too much of a cut.  It will just be too draining even with day before weigh ins.

Several years back Shawn Bunch was lightning quick and had awsome skills.  Unfortunately, he came up a bit short and left wrestling for MMA.  He was awsome.  I think too much of a cut.  It will just be too draining even with day before weigh ins.

How is that? He was hitting 125 (56,70 kg) on the scales on the same day in folkstyle and was doing great, hitting 57 kg on the day before should be more than enough for him.

Dierenger, Imart, Garret, Cox, and Gwiz all have a chance.

There is a slim chance, but I'd be very surprised if any of them did. It is easy to remember the NCAAs last week and forget about all of the accomplishments of the non NCAA guys they'd have to beat.

IMAR has the lowest chance out of all of them. He'd have to beat multiple of Oliver, Steiber, Kennedy, Pico, Metcalf.

Garret would have to beat multiple of Ramos, Graff, Dennis, Colon, Scott.

Ringer has Perry, Howe, Caldwell, Marable to contend with.

Cox and Gwiz I think have the best shot this year. All of the four you mentioned could have real legit shot in 4 years.

Cox may have a good shot. The best guys in the class, besides #1, are undersized. Cox is enormous for the weight class and has freestyle experience.

I wouldn't pick him, but it wouldn't be crazy. 

Derringer could do it. This class was weakened significantly this year when half of them moved up. 

Gwiz is next. He has done very well in Freestyle. 

Garrett doesn't have much of a chance. He is awesome and I think can be our rep at some point, but there are too many solid guys. Dennis is my pick here I think. 

Imar, my favorite college wrestler, has almost no shot. I really want to see him against Pico and Stieber though. That would be fun. 

Imart's win against James Green last year makes me think he has a chance to make the finals.  I also think his style is perfect for freestyle. 

In the future I totally agree. With the cut and the lack of focus on freestyle lately, I just don't see it.

I hope I am wrong. Huge fan of Imar

Imart's win against James Green last year makes me think he has a chance to make the finals.  I also think his style is perfect for freestyle. 

You have to remember though, he rode Green pretty hard to win that match.  He won't get to do that in freestyle.  We'll see if Green can make weight first.

There is a slim chance, but I'd be very surprised if any of them did. It is easy to remember the NCAAs last week and forget about all of the accomplishments of the non NCAA guys they'd have to beat.

IMAR has the lowest chance out of all of them. He'd have to beat multiple of Oliver, Steiber, Kennedy, Pico, Metcalf.

Garret would have to beat multiple of Ramos, Graff, Dennis, Colon, Scott.

Ringer has Perry, Howe, Caldwell, Marable to contend with.

Cox and Gwiz I think have the best shot this year. All of the four you mentioned could have real legit shot in 4 years.

Have to remember that Retherford is also going 65kg as well.  Not that I'm a Retherford fan, but he'll be in that weight class.  We're going to see some fun matchups at the Trials.

How can anyone say that the NCAA champs have no chance when JB won right out of college and then also won the worlds? 

Was he that much better (or any better) in college than Gwiz, Dieringer or I-Mart?

He was not better than Dake in college. See where he is now.

I don't expect the NCAA guys to have a lot of success...... but I do want to see where they land in the pecking order.

does anyone know about any nagging injuries to any of the senior level guys?

I will be rooting for Dennis to get the job done.

We'll see if Green can make weight first.

I think out of Green and Martinez, you should be more worried about Martinez from a weight perspective. Green made 65kg a month ago at the Pan Am. The last time Martinez weighed that low was his sophomore year of high school.

I think out of Green and Martinez, you should be more worried about Martinez from a weight perspective. Green made 65kg a month ago at the Pan Am. The last time Martinez weighed that low was his sophomore year of high school.

Yeah, I know Green made it for that tourney.  Hopefully everybody makes weight and performs well.  It's going to be one hell of a trials.

How can anyone say that the NCAA champs have no chance when JB won right out of college and then also won the worlds? 

Was he that much better (or any better) in college than Gwiz, Dieringer or I-Mart?

Burroughs had a world class take down he could hit on anyone Those other guys don't have a go to world class move.   Not even close.   They're very good college wrestlers, but lets keep in mind this will be contested in freestyle.  

Imar may very well be my favorite college wrestler, but he has ZERO shot at negotiating through the tournament and standing on the top of the podium.   Anyone remember what a high schooler did to him the last time he tried his luck in freestyle?   For those who don't remember, he was dismantled by Valencia.   Made to look like a jv kid.  

If Imar shows up, I would love to see him wrestle Pico and then in the wrestle backs, I'd love to see him against Rutherford and Metcalf.   I think that would provide the most entertainment, and it will go a long ways to his development.  

Garret has a legitimate shot at upsetting some people and making some noise at trials.  Of course we have to see how his freestyle looks, we know he's off the charts in folk.  

Edited by Cletus_Tucker