Sign in to follow this  
wrestlingnerd

Nahshohn Garret competing in Olympic Trials

Gabe Dean has also shown signs he'll bang at the top level.

And don't forget about this performance from the 2014 WTTs by Megaludis:

Saturday Challenge - Mens FS 57

1st Place - Tony Ramos of TMWC
2nd Place - Nico Megaludis of NLWC
3rd Place - Matt McDonough of TMWC
4th Place - Zach Sanders of MN Storm
1st Place Match
1st Place Match - Tony Ramos (TMWC) won by decision over Nico Megaludis (NLWC) (Dec 1-0)
3rd Place Match
3rd Place Match - Matt McDonough (TMWC) won by decision over Zach Sanders (MN Storm) (Dec 11-4)

Edited by maligned

It is always hard to predict how the NCAA Champs will translate to freestyle.  There have been some major surprises in the past the most recent being JB winning worlds right out of College.  I remember when Les Gutches came out in 96 and beat KJ (defending World & Olympic Champ) 3Xs straight to make the Olympic team. Although he failed to medal that year he won World Gold in 97.  

I think the guys with the best shot at making the team are probably Garret @ 57 and Gwiz @ 125 (If Tervel isn't his old self)

Burroughs had a world class take down he could hit on anyone Those other guys don't have a go to world class move.   Not even close.   They're very good college wrestlers, but lets keep in mind this will be contested in freestyle.  

Imar may very well be my favorite college wrestler, but he has ZERO shot at negotiating through the tournament and standing on the top of the podium.   Anyone remember what a high schooler did to him the last time he tried his luck in freestyle?   For those who don't remember, he was dismantled by Valencia.   Made to look like a jv kid.  

If Imar shows up, I would love to see him wrestle Pico and then in the wrestle backs, I'd love to see him against Rutherford and Metcalf.   I think that would provide the most entertainment, and it will go a long ways to his development.  

Garret has a legitimate shot at upsetting some people and making some noise at trials.  Of course we have to see how his freestyle looks, we know he's off the charts in folk.  

Do you think Metcalf will transition into coaching after the OTT?  

If Nashon can wrestle his best at this weight, I think he will win the spot.  He has the ability to attack from the outside and when he needs a TD, he can get it.  That's probably the number one ability you can have in international freestyle and it amazes me how few of our top level guys have it.  

if Imar doesn't show it will be a shame... i don't expect him to be a legit threat at the mini tourney, but, who doesn't want to see how monstrous he would be at 65?

at 74 he is an after thought at this point...

I believe there was an interview out there with Jason Bryant that mentioned he would be focusing on Worlds for next year and he won't be competing in trials 

Maybe that's true, but it doesn't make sense skipping an Olympic year to focus on Worlds the year after, it's not like we have Olympics every year to skip it.

Maybe that's true, but it doesn't make sense skipping an Olympic year to focus on Worlds the year after, it's not like we have Olympics every year to skip it.

It makes a ton of sense because he won't be competitive at 74 kg and 65 kg is way too big a cut with only 2-3 weeks.

It makes a ton of sense because he won't be competitive at 74 kg and 65 kg is way too big a cut with only 2-3 weeks.

This is an olympic year (not just any year), which makes it non-sense imo, he should at least give it a try, that's my point.

Edited by Axe_Spartan

My pure educated guess is I-Mart realized Nolf was a real threat and started bulking back up to be a more full-sized 157 rather then keeping weight down for the OTT, and thus he's too big for 65 kg and too small for 74 kg.  But he is a 2 time NCAA champ.

Garrett was really good two years ago and then terrible last year while cutting too much weight.  Then he moved up and was way better then he'd ever been this year at 133.

If he can make the lower weight on night before weigh-ins, and then wrestle like he did this year, then he is a real threat.  But I don't think his low double is any better or more explosive than Coleman Scott's, and Scott was neutralized by Dennis at US Nationals.  And Scott looked HUGE and surprisingly healthy/energetic after the cut.  I think Scott has the highest ceiling internationally if he manages the weight like he did at US Nationals.  I think Garrett is the next biggest threat internationally for the same reason, he can score his own offense.  I think Dennis and Ramos can grind close matches with anyone, but they are in toss-ups every time they wrestle and that is a tough way to medal.  But Dennis definitely seems to have Scott's number.  For the best US team I'd love to see Scott not wrestle Dennis just to see how he does against Ramos.  

I don't care if it's an Olympic year or if the prize is $10 million. If you can't make the cut, you can't make the cut.

Not you, but I bet a wrestler like him cares if it's an olympic year. If he can't make the cut (which is not clear at all yet), he could still give a try in the 74 kg.

My pure educated guess is I-Mart realized Nolf was a real threat and started bulking back up to be a more full-sized 157 rather then keeping weight down for the OTT, and thus he's too big for 65 kg and too small for 74 kg. But he is a 2 time NCAA champ.

All the more reason to hate this ridiculous 6 weight class restriction. Imagine the battles Imar and green could be having at 70. I'm already looking forward to next year.

All the more reason to hate this ridiculous 6 weight class restriction. Imagine the battles Imar and green could be having at 70. I'm already looking forward to next year.

true, but...

the condensing of the weight classes has made every weight incredibly entertaining to watch first match on... dream match ups every where throughout the bracket... 

got to find that silver lining...