Sign in to follow this  
wrestlingnerd

Nahshohn Garret competing in Olympic Trials

Garrett was really good two years ago and then terrible last year while cutting too much weight.  Then he moved up and was way better then he'd ever been this year at 133.

If he can make the lower weight on night before weigh-ins, and then wrestle like he did this year, then he is a real threat.  But I don't think his low double is any better or more explosive than Coleman Scott's, and Scott was neutralized by Dennis at US Nationals.  And Scott looked HUGE and surprisingly healthy/energetic after the cut.  I think Scott has the highest ceiling internationally if he manages the weight like he did at US Nationals.  I think Garrett is the next biggest threat internationally for the same reason, he can score his own offense.  I think Dennis and Ramos can grind close matches with anyone, but they are in toss-ups every time they wrestle and that is a tough way to medal.  But Dennis definitely seems to have Scott's number.  For the best US team I'd love to see Scott not wrestle Dennis just to see how he does against Ramos.  

1) There's this dude called Graff.  At Farrell, he scored 52 points in 5 matches even though 4 of those wins were by tech including 3 in the first minute (one of those over Dennis and other in the tournament final).  So pretty sure he can "score his own offense" too.

2) Unless they royally botch the seeding, you should see Scott vs Ramos as the semifinal matchup (if they both make it there).  Ramos hasn't loss to a US wrestler in any style since 2013, so he is the 1.  Graff teched Dennis, so he's the 2.  Dennis beat Scott and won the Qualifier, so he's the 3.  Scott beat everyone besides Dennis and gave Dennis the best match at the Qualifier by a wide margin, so he's the 4.  I agree Scott could knock off Ramos... would be fascinating to see what happens.

Edited by rpm002

Not you, but I bet a wrestler like him cares if it's an olympic year. If he can't make the cut (which is not clear at all yet), he could still give a try in the 74 kg.

So you're betting a wrestler like Imart cares enough to go to trials unprepared when in fact a wrestler exactly like Imart, Imart himself, has chosen not to attend despite having qualified? I don't know what to say.

So you're betting a wrestler like Imart cares enough to go to trials unprepared when in fact a wrestler exactly like Imart, Imart himself, has chosen not to attend despite having qualified? I don't know what to say.

First of all, are you sure he said he isn't going? If he really said that, I wouldn't waste my time here argumenting with you.

true, but...

the condensing of the weight classes has made every weight incredibly entertaining to watch first match on... dream match ups every where throughout the bracket...

got to find that silver lining...

Very true, the 65 bracket is absolutely loaded and should be fun to watch. The thing is that some of these guys are not gonna wrestle to their full potential due to the natural size difference. For example Green didn't look so hot in his last tournament.

Imar is better off not going imo. He is simply too small for 74 and the cut to 65 will leave him drained.

1) There's this dude called Graff.  At Farrell, he scored 52 points in 5 matches even though 4 of those wins were by tech including 3 in the first minute (one of those over Dennis and other in the tournament final).  So pretty sure he can "score his own offense" too.

2) Unless they royally botch the seeding, you should see Scott vs Ramos as the semifinal matchup (if they both make it there).  Ramos hasn't loss to a US wrestler in any style since 2013, so he is the 1.  Graff teched Dennis, so he's the 2.  Dennis beat Scott and won the Qualifier, so he's the 3.  Scott beat everyone besides Dennis and gave Dennis the best match at the Qualifier by a wide margin, so he's the 4.  I agree Scott could knock off Ramos... would be fascinating to see what happens.

So true.  I guess I was just looking at it through the eyes of a Scott fan and thought primarily of the guys I have seen him wrestle in the last year.  Graff can absolutely beat anyone and he has plenty of offense.  I still think if Scott makes the weight ok he is the best US chance at a medal, but I understand that's just my opinion.