Sign in to follow this  
takedownartist

Imar vs. Miller (worth a second look)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2mxTtDXFi0

After watching this match again, I was even more impressed with both wrestling.

Excitement from start to finish...non stop action.

Miller hitting two inside trips, both using his injured lead leg. He left everything on the mat.

Imar using freak athletic power to scramble out of second inside trip while not giving up the takedown.

He may just have the most powerful core in college wrestling.

Edited by takedownartist

I watched it live and thought it was one of the most exciting matches I've ever seen.  Miller brought it.

You wonder if he hadn't been so close to the last inside trip takedown if the OT might have been different.  Wondering if he was a bit discouraged and took a more risky shot in OT that led to IMAR's succesful reshot. 

If miller had kept the lock he'd have had it. As it went, I would definitely consider there no control and iMar did a fantastic job sitting up and ending in on a leg. I can only imagine the core strength he must have to do that... what a talent Ian miller was (#freeianmiller). I'm disappointed he never got to make his finals appearance. He definitely earned it.

No disrespect to Zack Eposito, Yoshi Nakamura and some of the other guys but to me Ian Miller has the best inside trip I've ever seen.  Nobody used it more and nobody scored more with it that I can remember.  You knew it was coming every single match and he still scored with it consistently. 

If miller had kept the lock he'd have had it. As it went, I would definitely consider there no control and iMar did a fantastic job sitting up and ending in on a leg. I can only imagine the core strength he must have to do that... what a talent Ian miller was (#freeianmiller). I'm disappointed he never got to make his finals appearance. He definitely earned it.

I don't know enough about that position, but it sure looks like he would have ended up in better position if he'd kept that body lock. Maybe that core strength would have bounced him over though?

Great match, regardless. Lots of offense out of Miller. Nothing to regret on his end. 

I hadn't focused on the lock that he had.  But the reality is that in that position, the guy with the double overhooks is in superiour position and very likely to roll the other guy over and through. Letting go of the bearhug is probably the orthodox move at that point. 

Very exciting stuff. 

Miller definitely one of the most exciting guys to watch and like Gantry said he could hit that inside trip on anyone.

Sure do hope he continues with Freestyle and adds to his career hi-lite videos of which are pretty awesome  

Get well Mr Miller and hope to see you at US Nationals & Trials

As much as I wanted Miller to win, I don't think there is any way you could argue for control here. There might be an argument if he hadn't reached out to break his fall.

agfnDUR.gif

I don't think it's a TD either,  but it baffles me that the Kent St Coaches didn't challenge this! That's the kind of action that if you go in super slow motion and try to wrap your head around "no reaction time," then you could get lucky. Terrible coaching decision. 

Hypothetical: If Miller beats Martinez, does he default out of the finals? 

Miller's coaches should never be allowed at NCAAs again. After last years debacle they compounded their ineptitude by sitting there like potted plants when a protest might have given Miller a chance or at very least a moment to catch his breath and try to walk off his leg injury.

I almost don't believe that they blew it again. Why not just give your kid a lung timeout? There's no penalty for losing a challenge! 

Imar using freak athletic power to scramble out of second inside trip while not giving up the takedown.

He may just have the most powerful core in college wrestling.

A certain Vincenzo Joseph has something to say about that. Joseph "out-cored" Imart all over the mat last night. He got baaaaarely taken down off a shuck/throwby and then later returned the favor much more decisively not once but twice with the same/very similar move, he fended off an Imart throw that would've flattened anyone else at the weight like it was nothing, and then he attempted a double-over inside trip not once but twice, nailing him on the second attempt. All core in those moves.

Also, see what Joseph did to Massa, who has a very strong core and is as strong as an ox himself. Double over to trip, Massa hipped in and tried to step over,and Joseph powered through anyway. The kid's got sick hips.

A certain Vincenzo Joseph has something to say about that. Joseph "out-cored" Imart all over the mat last night. He got baaaaarely taken down off a shuck/throwby and then later returned the favor much more decisively not once but twice with the same/very similar move, he fended off an Imart throw that would've flattened anyone else at the weight like it was nothing, and then he attempted a double-over inside trip not once but twice, nailing him on the second attempt. All core in those moves.

Also, see what Joseph did to Massa, who has a very strong core and is as strong as an ox himself. Double over to trip, Massa hipped in and tried to step over,and Joseph powered through anyway. The kid's got sick hips.

Never thought I would see another athlete out athlete I-mar.

These guys go way beyond the big three lifts...off the charts rotational torque power.

I can't wait for a re match.

Edited by takedownartist