Sign in to follow this  
HurricaneWrestling

The Faces of College Wrestlers...

Nice find, Hurricane.  Not sure I remember the last time wrestling was in the New Yorker

Three days of hard cross-faces are not going to leave you looking your best.  Plus, some of these guys have ears like they just stepped out of a UFO. 

But, to be fair, they should show pictures of what Hollywood actresses look like when they wake up after an all-night Oscar party and before they have their makeup done. 

Pictures were taken at a time that reinforced the point this photojournalist wanted to make. IT IS WHAT IT IS.

No excuse for cauliflower ear. Shame on the coaches that do not enforce the NCAA rule that requires headgear be worn during practice. Ear disfigurement hurts our sport. Glad I wore my headgear and glad my son wore his.

Edited by gowrestle

Nice find, Hurricane.  Not sure I remember the last time wrestling was in the New Yorker

Three days of hard cross-faces are not going to leave you looking your best.  Plus, some of these guys have ears like they just stepped out of a UFO. 

But, to be fair, they should show pictures of what Hollywood actresses look like when they wake up after an all-night Oscar party and before they have their makeup done.

Yeah, these were obviously taken right after hard fought contests. I showed them to my wife and a few non-wrestling friends and asked who they thought they were. Most guessed they were mug shots from the week's drunk and disorderly arrests.

Pictures were taken at a time that reinforced the point this photojournalist wanted to make. IT IS WHAT IT IS.

No excuse for cauliflower ear. Shame on the coaches that do not enforce the NCAA rule that requires headgear be worn during practice. Ear disfigurement hurts our sport. Glad I wore my headgear and glad my son wore his.

I got my cauliflower while wearing head hear. It basically got ripped of my head and my ear paid the price......

I got my cauliflower while wearing head hear. It basically got ripped of my head and my ear paid the price......

to further this argument. Karelin has good ears. Never wore headgear. Wrestled his whole life. It's genetics. You resist it or fall prey to it. Nothing can prevent it.

Right, because none of these wrestlers ever had cauliflower ear before they got to college. Shame on them coaches ignoring the NCAA rule!

And for the record, I don't have cauliflower ear. I too wore my head gear, as did all of my teammates and that didn't stop some of them from getting it. 

Edited by JasonBryant

Right, because none of these wrestlers ever had cauliflower ear before they got to college. Shame on them coaches ignoring the NCAA rule!

And for the record, I don't have cauliflower ear. I too wore my head gear, as did all of my teammates and that didn't stop some of them from getting it.

Not sure what your point is Jason. Most cauliflower ears are preventable. Wear headgear that fits and you should be okay. If your ear becomes inflamed, get it drained and stay off the mat till you get clearance. Unfortunately some in wrestling think it is a badge of honor. I think it is a badge of knuckleheadness. It hurts our sport. WEAR HEADGEAR!

Oh, nice job announcing Jason.

Not sure what your point is Jason. Most cauliflower ears are preventable. Wear headgear that fits and you should be okay. If your ear becomes inflamed, get it drained and stay off the mat till you get clearance. Unfortunately some in wrestling think it is a badge of honor. I think it is a badge of knuckleheadness. It hurts our sport. WEAR HEADGEAR!

Oh, nice job announcing Jason.

I've worn multiple styles of headgear from the old Halo style to some crazy modern varieties. Once I had a 1st injury that required draining - none of the headgear helped keep it from keeping re-injured in hard go's or matches.

I've worn headgear all along - and I can only plug my iPhone buds in one of my ears, the other falls out.

It's not a badge of honor - it frankly sucks.

Headgear helps - but it doesn't solve the problem.

I've worn multiple styles of headgear from the old Halo style to some crazy modern varieties. Once I had a 1st injury that required draining - none of the headgear helped keep it from keeping re-injured in hard go's or matches.

I've worn headgear all along - and I can only plug my iPhone buds in one of my ears, the other falls out.

It's not a badge of honor - it frankly sucks.

Headgear helps - but it doesn't solve the problem.

There are too many bad cases of cauliflower ear due to not wearing headgear. Obviously when you hurt your ear, continuing to train/wrestle before complete healing took place was a choice you made. Outside of wrestling circles people look at cauliflower ear as unattractive/dumb. This conversation always hits a sore point for many wrestling people. Those that have cauliflower ears come up with all types of justifications for it. It IS preventable. It hurts wrestling. It's like a tatoo, years later the person regrets having one. In the greatest stupidity of our sport, in some circles, "you're not a REAL WRESTLER if you have "pretty ears."

If all wrestlers wore headgear all the time, 99% of cauliflower ears would not have occurred.

Edited by gowrestle

I'll agree with the "cauliflower ear is bad" argument, because other than that I bet most of these guys are pretty normal looking.   Maybe it would've been better to have their normal picture and then "this is what you look like after wrestling in the D1 National Championships."

Hopefully people can tell they also used lighting/filters/etc. to prove their point but I'll also agree that no press is bad press though.

689554ba-6380-4cf1-86e4-3021e8015329_zps

What JB, and many others including myself, avoided by wearing headgear.