Sign in to follow this  
HurricaneWrestling

The Faces of College Wrestlers...

Head gears prevent cauliflower ears just like Helmets prevent concussions.......  REALLY?!?!?!?

This is crazy to think that it is impossible to not get it if you wear a headgear.  Even if worn correctly!!!  Sure your chances of not getting it improve, but some people, myself included, were not so lucky!!!

Edited by scrambler

if you don't want the ugly ear, don't do combat sports... it really is that simple... 

in fact, ears are the first thing i look at when meeting a person for the first time... you got a little of the ugly ear then you are probably pretty ok in my book... it at least means you have sacrificed  and put physical accomplishments over less noble pursuits...

A few of my college teammates had cauliflower ear extremely bad, but to be honest they mostly got it from bareknuckle boxing on the weekends (knuckleheads...). Practice and competition made it worse, sure, but those of us who abstained from these other extracurricular activities only got slightly mangled ears. I do have some on my lead-leg ear, but it's not visibly noticeable. I wore headgear in practice about 50% of the time. 

I'm happy that my cauliflower is still roughly in the shape of an ear, some guys just end up with disfigured balls on the sides of their head.  I tend to keep my hair long, which helps also.  The thing is, whenever I think about getting them fixed, I can't take the thought seriously; What am I going to do, bring in a picture of Brad Pitt's ears and tell them I want that model?  All ears are ugly, mine just stick out a little more.  Now, if there is some sort of functional deficit with hearing or wax buildup, I would encourage any current college wrestlers to try to get that taken care of on the school's dime before they graduate.

if you don't want the ugly ear, don't do combat sports... it really is that simple... 

in fact, ears are the first thing i look at when meeting a person for the first time... you got a little of the ugly ear then you are probably pretty ok in my book... it at least means you have sacrificed and put physical accomplishments over less noble pursuits...

That's funny because I do exactly the same thing when I meet new people. I shake hands and look at their ears!

The more damaging stigma attached to cauliflower ears to that all dudes with nasty looking ears must be one tough SOB, nothing can be further from the truth. I have known wrestlers who had ears resembling a gnarled piece of beef who couldn't wrestle themselves out of a wet paper sack and some who who had ears looking "fresh from the factory" who were "tear you limb from limb" maniacs. 

I got mine BEFORE headgear rules required them......... never got worse after I started wearing them.

As a coach I ALWAYS required them to be worn for ALL practice activities. Drills and live wrestling or conditioning. The wrestlers didn't like it much but they were never messing with them during matches.

Another point that might be relevant....... a HS wrestler that didn't have to wear them in practice and got CE......... MIGHT have a lawsuit for not being made to practice with headgear as the rules REQUIRE. College age wrestlers are adults and that may not come into play.

Just a thought.

Who really cares if someone has cauliflower ear or not? It's up to each individual to prevent it on their own during practice if they so choose.

However, what data can anyone provide to prove that cauliflower ear is hurting the sport of wrestling. That's an absurd and totally unfounded statement.

It amazes me how people try and justify CE. YUPP there is no data on the impact of CE on wrestling participation rates. However, being around the sport for 45 years, teaching & coaching, I can tell you the two most frequent negative comments I have heard about wrestling have been weight loss and ear disfigurement. Believe me, I know parents that kept their sons out of wrestling because of the potential of cauliflower ear. I know former wrestlers with CE that make their sons wear headgear.

Many years ago I was at a coaching clinic with Parker, Springfield, Turner, Lehigh, Icenhower, TCNJ, and Lorenzo, Penn State. Most of us were high school coaches that went to learn from the best. In a forum after one of the sessions, all of those coaches clearly reinforced the message that if we wanted to promote wrestling, we should make our kids wear headgear.

After I returned from MSG, my friends who saw the finals on ESPN, had many negative comments about the ears of the wrestlers. Most are professional people who hold distinguished positions in business, education, and medicine. None ever wrestled and watched the finals as a result of my nudging.

Guess I'll get off my soapbox about cauliflower ear. Just seems to me that to keep our sport flourishing all of us need to do everything possible to help promote wrestling in a positive way. Making our wrestlers at all levels and at all times wear headgear is a responsibility that all those have who are interested in furthering the positive values associated with wrestling.

Edited by gowrestle

I thought the photos were pretty cool and complimentary to the sport. Of all the non-wrestling people I run into who have had contact with the sport at some point in their lives, these photos mirror the tales of sacrifice and hard work that I hear about from them. I have to imagine that most people would understand that.

As to the cauliflower ear argument, there's a guy I work with who has a pretty bad case of it. I asked him if he wrestled and he said, "yeah, freshman and sophomore years in high school."

A dad at my kids' school has it and when I asked him where he wrestled he said, "if you mean my ear, I got that in a drunken wrestling match in college when my roommate accidentally kneed me in the ear. I didn't wrestle past high school."

Like a lot of other folks, I look at ears when I meet people. It's just one of those things, but doesn't equate to much in the end.

It amazes me how people try and justify CE. YUPP there is no data on the impact of CE on wrestling participation rates. However, being around the sport for 45 years, teaching & coaching, I can tell you the two most frequent negative comments I have heard about wrestling have been weight loss and ear disfigurement. Believe me, I know parents that kept their sons out of wrestling because of the potential of cauliflower ear. I know former wrestlers with CE that make their sons wear headgear.

Many years ago I was at a coaching clinic with Parker, Springfield, Turner, Lehigh, Icenhower, TCNJ, and Lorenzo, Penn State. Most of us were high school coaches that went to learn from the best. In a forum after one of the sessions, all of those coaches clearly reinforced the message that if we wanted to promote wrestling, we should make our kids wear headgear.

After I returned from MSG, my friends who saw the finals on ESPN, had many negative comments about the ears of the wrestlers. Most are professional people who hold distinguished positions in business, education, and medicine. None ever wrestled and watched the finals as a result of my nudging.

Guess I'll get off my soapbox about cauliflower ear. Just seems to me that to keep our sport flourishing all of us need to do everything possible to help promote wrestling in a positive way. Making our wrestlers at all levels and at all times wear headgear is a responsibility that all those have who are interested in furthering the positive values associated with wrestling.

I thought it was singlets?  ;)  I kid, I kid...  Although, anecdotally, some friends popped in while my husband was watching wrestling on replay and they didn't say anything about cauliflower ear but mentioned the singlets and 'mat herpes' (since it's been in the news in CA and the midwest recently).

Back to the topic at hand, I'm a little surprised that headgear technology hasn't made CE totally preventable by now.  My brother wore the old Cliff Keen 'Halo' headgear because he thought it looked cool, but in the end it didn't really protect his ears very much.  And I remember 'soft headgear' was a thing for a little while, but that was more for people who wanted to avoid the discomfort of 'regular' headgear (or for girls or others wearing haircaps).  

I don't know what the current headgear is like now, but they look more or less the same as they've always been, and it seems as though there's room for advances in making headgear more protective while being comfortable, lightweight, and secure on the head and over the ears. Maybe it's the same reason we don't have concussion-proof helmets in football.

Is wrestling even declining?  For every parent out there telling someone they can't wrestle because of cauliflower ear, there are a hundred kids wrestling with dreams of a nasty case of cauliflower ear and a knee surgery to complement their piercings, gauged ears and tattoos.

BTW, has anyone ever seen a gauged AND caulifowered ear?

Edited by Plasmodium

I've worn multiple styles of headgear from the old Halo style to some crazy modern varieties. Once I had a 1st injury that required draining - none of the headgear helped keep it from keeping re-injured in hard go's or matches.

I've worn headgear all along - and I can only plug my iPhone buds in one of my ears, the other falls out.

It's not a badge of honor - it frankly sucks.

Headgear helps - but it doesn't solve the problem.

There are too many bad cases of cauliflower ear due to not wearing headgear. Obviously when you hurt your ear, continuing to train/wrestle before complete healing took place was a choice you made. Outside of wrestling circles people look at cauliflower ear as unattractive/dumb. This conversation always hits a sore point for many wrestling people. Those that have cauliflower ears come up with all types of justifications for it. It IS preventable. It hurts wrestling. It's like a tatoo, years later the person regrets having one. In the greatest stupidity of our sport, in some circles, "you're not a REAL WRESTLER if you have "pretty ears."

If all wrestlers wore headgear all the time, 99% of cauliflower ears would not have occurred.

'gowrestle' - Stop this nonsense. Re-read my post - I despise ear injuries.

Then, you should apologize for saying "Obviously when you hurt your ear, continuing to train/wrestle..." because that simply isn't true. I had a year off between draining and the next wrestling season.

It's one thing to try to point out how bad cauliflower ear is - and its quite another to accuse a complete stranger of being irresponsible.

Edited by rstrong