Sign in to follow this  
HurricaneWrestling

The Faces of College Wrestlers...

Still the number one article on NewYorker.com.

My wife is regular reader of the New Yorker. This morning, she was telling me about a New Yorker article that talked about Microsoft's AI Bot so I asked her to check out the top article on the site.

She smiled when she saw it was about college wrestling.

Her reaction, flipping through the pictures: "Wow! It looks like they were punched. I didn't realize it had such a physical effect. Wow. Everyone's nose looks crushed."

Then when she read the article: "Wait, so they don't have to wear headgear in practice?"

BTW, has anyone ever seen a gauged AND caulifowered ear?

one of my boy's coaches has gauged and cauliflower ear...

a related story... me and the boys were in derek's fix's coaches office a few years ago while he was draining a practice partners ear... we got to cutting up about it... talking about my 8 year old (at the time) who had some of the ugly ear... daton was feeling my younger son's ear and telling me he didn't have any... i calmy replied he obviously wasn't wrestling hard enough... derek piped up with, "that's what i'm saying..."

you don't want the ugly ear... bruised up face... broken nose... scars on your face... replaced knees and hips... then don't wrestle, box, do the jitz, or anything other masculine pursuit... go play golf instead 

one of my boy's coaches has gauged and cauliflower ear...

a related story... me and the boys were in derek's fix's coaches office a few years ago while he was draining a practice partners ear... we got to cutting up about it... talking about my 8 year old (at the time) who had some of the ugly ear... daton was feeling my younger son's ear and telling me he didn't have any... i calmy replied he obviously wasn't wrestling hard enough... derek piped up with, "that's what i'm saying..."

you don't want the ugly ear... bruised up face... broken nose... scars on your face... replaced knees and hips... then don't wrestle, box, do the jitz, or anything other masculine pursuit... go play golf instead

Wow... Just. Wow.

maybe if he had uglier ears he would not have dropped that match to rulon...

just sayin'...

come on ladies, it was a joke...

much like complaining about ugly ears and singlets being the downfall of wrestling is a joke...

Beauty is in the eye ....   If I'm lucky enough to see any of these names on a resume I'll call them in and give them a start date, and then ask them how much they want to be paid.  

My guess is the next time you hear any of these men whining will be never. 

http://forum.theopenmat.com/index.php/topic,34692.0.html

"They shot these shortly after each of the wrestlers came off the mat, and the photographer had a makeshift studio set up in the hallway. Just had them all stand on the same x and used the same lighting for each. Here's a photo of the shot of Morgan as it was occurring, taken by another pro photographer. Low speed for the tight grain, shot wide open for the thin depth of field. And then, from the RAW file, in Photoshop, the photographer pushed the "clarity" to the extreme, which has the effect of revealing all the bumps, scrapes, and bruises. Sort of like the opposite of the classic vaseline-on-the-lens trick actresses from the 40s and 50s relied on to get that glowy glamour look. (If you push the "clarity" filter in the opposite direction, you achieve that glowy look instead.)
So no, it's definitely not what the naked eye sees (compare pic of Morgan in link above to Morgan in pictorial), but it's not exactly untrue either because he's not adding in anything that isn't already there; it's heightened reality. He came in with a concept and executed it well. If you have a fixed idea about what photography is supposed to be, you're not going to like these. This guy isn't the guy you want shooting your wedding. But I think these are pretty great in their own right."

All taken when they are hot, sweaty and tired.

Try close portraits of workers from the smelter of a steel mill.

Hay haulers on the farm after bucking and stacking 200 tons of hay in 100 degree heat.

A deliberate attempt to make them look bad by catching many at their 'worst'.

I worked landscaping jobs through college.  Not lawn mowing mind you.  It was Landscaping where we ripped out and installed new bushes and trees, ripped out old walls and walkways and put in new ones, and spread endless yards of top soil and mulch by wheelbarrow on 90-100 degree summer days.  Those root balls weigh a ton!  It was very demanding physically.  I never looked as beat up after a day of work as I did after a tournament.  

I have a picture of my two best friends from my high school team at states all arm in arm with our medals following the tournament.  We look like we got jumped.  I have a picture of some of my teammates and I from college after a tournament and we also look like we got beat up.  I don't think labor even remotely qualifies as the same sort of punishment that wrestling does.   Heads clashing, elbows and knees against eyebrows and cheek bones, mat burn, acne, ring worm; the physical toll of 5-6 hard matches plus the other additional things unique to the sport just make you look like hell.  Perhaps lighting was used to assist the narrative but lets not pretend the narrative exists for no reason.  Wrestling is tough.    

Edited by ironmonkey

All taken when they are hot, sweaty and tired.

Try close portraits of workers from the smelter of a steel mill.

Hay haulers on the farm after bucking and stacking 200 tons of hay in 100 degree heat.

A deliberate attempt to make them look bad by catching many at their 'worst'.

I don't believe in any way, shape, or form that the photo feature was an attempt to make the wrestlers or wrestling look bad. I think it was an attempt to showcase fierce athletes in the heat of competition, or as close to it as a photographer can get, moments after a match. The only negatives in that article or those photos are the ones you are imposing on them from your own preconceived biases or neuroses.

I also, wore my headgear 100% of the time. ( even in practice) However ... just a tiny bit in my right ear, as that was my inside ear, on my single legs, and the head gear would move, and pinch my ear.

I also, wore my headgear 100% of the time. ( even in practice) However ... just a tiny bit in my right ear, as that was my inside ear, on my single legs, and the head gear would move, and pinch my ear.

I figured any anomaly to your ear was caused by hooking yerself while flyfishing for steelhead.

"I don't think labor even remotely qualifies as the same sort of punishment that wrestling does."

You have never done steel or foundry work. You have never done hard rock mining. You have never worked on a farm.

Wrestled as well as worked in these and they were often worse than wrestling workouts.

Then, we have military service - moreso in volunteer units than standard MOS training. Wrestlers tend to do well but often the training is more difficult than wrestling practice.

i am pretty sure that there have been expos'es on all sorts of manual laborers and the marks that type of work leaves on your body, but, i don't recall anyone whining about the photos painting some "bad light" on them or the publication having some sort of hidden agenda... 

"I don't think labor even remotely qualifies as the same sort of punishment that wrestling does."

You have never done steel or foundry work. You have never done hard rock mining. You have never worked on a farm.

Wrestled as well as worked in these and they were often worse than wrestling workouts.

Then, we have military service - moreso in volunteer units than standard MOS training. Wrestlers tend to do well but often the training is more difficult than wrestling practice.

I have no idea what your wrestling experience was like.  I can only say mine was pretty damn tough physically and even tougher emotionally.  I also competed in football, judo and rugby and none of them made my face look the way it did after a wrestling tournament.  If you have found labor more difficult than wrestling, more power to you.  However, this isn't about which is harder but about which makes you look worse.  

Wrestling comes with black eyes, bloody noses and lips, and a whole host of other marks and eye sores ***on the face*** that make for a bad picture.  The emotional ups and downs and adrenaline dumps that go along with multiple matches in a short period of time also take a toll on ones' appearance by the end of the day.  I just don't see how labor makes for a worse portrait and I have worked a ton of different labor jobs from landscaping to construction demo to maintaining trails for the National Park Service.  Labor is certainly hard and if you want to take portraits of beat up hands, you might have a really good argument.  

Edited by ironmonkey