Sign in to follow this  
Flying-Tiger

Did The Crowd Go Too Far After 141?

One of the many things I enjoy about nationals is how the crowd gets behind an underdog from a smaller program. It's nice to see a wrestler from a school that does't have many fans in attendance get a lot of support, however the booing after the 141 match ended was disappointing. I was rooting for the Wyoming guy just like many others, however once the match was over the boos should of stopped, Heil just won a national championship and should of been applauded. He can't help who he had to beat and didn't do anything to warrant a negative reaction. 

Edited by Flying-Tiger

I totally agree. I was rooting for the underdog too but Heil did nothing wrong. He won the championship fair and square and deserved applause. Side note I often feel bad for the wrestlers when the ref makes a questionable call and the receipient of that call wins. The crowd starts booing, but I hope they realize they are booing the ref not the kid that just won. I even participate in the booing in that case

+1

Booing should be reserved for someone doing something wrong (official, coach or the wrestler). A fair and square win is a win and should never be booed even if you wanted the opposite outcome.

And while on the subject of booing and cheering, I was disgusted with the Minnesota fans who were cheering when Stoll got hurt. Iowa vs. Minnesota have a long history (which I always enjoyed) but even if you root against Iowa, cheering when someone gets hurt should be beneath those who truly love our sport.

Edited by judaspriest

I definitely agree that he didn't do anything worth booing, but I also don't mind a bit of booing.  The crowd is entitled to their opinion.  On the flip side I definitely appreciated the crowd cheering terao.  An enthusiastic and involved crowd is a good thing.  

You know what..I want Penn St. to lose every match..And its because of the ahole fans. I actually was happy Nico won, I enjoyed his celebration. Zain , Nolf, both seem like great kids. But its hard to cheer for them when they have idiot fans who start threads on Minnesota message boards..hell there is 50 pages of gloating...Cael is a great coach. But the fans of his team ruin it for me.

You know what..I want Penn St. to lose every match..And its because of the ahole fans. I actually was happy Nico won, I enjoyed his celebration. Zain , Nolf, both seem like great kids. But its hard to cheer for them when they have idiot fans who start threads on Minnesota message boards..hell there is 50 pages of gloating...Cael is a great coach. But the fans of his team ruin it for me.

I'd like to repudiate those PSU fans who started those threads on the Gophers' message boards. That's certainly

unwarranted. And, although I can't control their actions, I urge them to direct their gloating solely at the Hawkeyes.

That's the standard I try to uphold. Peace. Out.

P.S. Great job by Pfarr. I was cheering for him, Kroells and Thorn (thought Tommy would join the other two as an AA).

Edited by HurricaneWrestling

I think it is fantastic.   These are not little girls, they are grown men, competing in hostile territory, most often, and representing their teams flag.   They should be able to handle it just fine.   

I loved it when Iowa boo'd Dake, after he dismantled DSJ in the final.   It was all set up for Dake to respond, he wanted to go to Iowa but their academic standards were too low and if it weren't for that, he would have been a Hawk.  But he was all class, just taking it in and smiling for the entire arena to soak in.    I've been a Dake fan ever since, and he singlehandedly +1 over the entire Iowa fan base.   It's part of the sport.    I draw the line after Jr high.  Boo them all you want, it's good for the sport. 

Booing Heil was total Bush League! I invited a large group of people to watch the finals at my house, some wrestlers some not, and every person in the room asked me why is the crowd booing the Oklahoma St guy??My answer was simple......Because some people are ignorant and ignorance is contagious! 

I think it is fantastic.   These are not little girls, they are grown men, competing in hostile territory, most often, and representing their teams flag.   They should be able to handle it just fine.   

I loved it when Iowa boo'd Dake, after he dismantled DSJ in the final.   It was all set up for Dake to respond, he wanted to go to Iowa but their academic standards were too low and if it weren't for that, he would have been a Hawk.  But he was all class, just taking it in and smiling for the entire arena to soak in.    I've been a Dake fan ever since, and he singlehandedly +1 over the entire Iowa fan base.   It's part of the sport.    I draw the line after Jr high.  Boo them all you want, it's good for the sport. 

I remember that...the Iowa fans "attempted" to boo Dake while he was being interviewed after he beat DSJ, but the rest of the arena decided that $hit was not gonna fly, and stood up and gave Dake a standing ovation, drowning out the booing...pretty cool moment.

Edited by gromit

I remember that...the Iowa fans "attempted" to boo Dake while he was being interviewed after he beat DSJ, but the rest of the arena decided that $hit was not gonna fly, and stood up and gave Dake a standing ovation, drowning out the booing...pretty cool moment.

Oh yes, it was fantastic.   Iowa showcased their displeasure with their booing and the rest of the arena put them in their place and really the situatin served to  demonstrate for the entire country watching, a lesson in class (and lack there of). 

Don't get me wrong, I loved the Iowa fan base just having no concern or shame in showing their true colors, and booing a guy for the country to see what they are like.

I was laughing and doing my best imitation of the Brands when they're hopping around like Mexican jumping beans.   It was unexpected even for them, but top notch entertainment, none the less.   The backlas,h they have to deal with, but I am not going to sit here and tell you I didn't enjoy their behavior.