Ari Gold

What weights are still NOT qualified for the US?

Placing at an international tournament. Metcalf could have qualified the weight at the Pan Ams for instance.

I understand that much. I meant who placed at what tournament to qualify us at 57 kg and 125 kg?

Also, didn't Stieber (65 kg) earn a bronze over in Belarus (or somewhere) in January?

The Asian guys who did not qualify are nothing to worry about in my opinion.  Let's see who doesn't qualify in Europe.

It could be really rough for European non-qualifiers going into Istanbul...  I guess many of the participating countries are stacked enough to have multiple competitors who could make the finals.  But on paper, it looks like it could be 3 tournaments in 4 weeks - wow.  

Also, the U.S. women have a bit of work to do also:  48, 53, 58, and 69kg are not yet qualified. :\

At 84kg I think they need to send Dake. I also think he is the only one who has any kindication of remote chance to grab an Olympic Medal. Although a long shot. This coming from someone who would really like to see Taylor climb to the top. The advantage Dake has is his insane ability to scramble, and readily score off of his opponents mistakes. It gives him a shot even being small for the weight

So here is an interesting scenario. The US has not yet qualified 65kg and 86kg. The competition timeline is as follows:

US Olympic Team Trials: April 9-10

World Qualification Tournament #1: April 22-24 (Mongolia)

World Qualification Tournament #2: May 6-8 (Turkey)

There are three and two slots available in Mongolia and Turkey for each of the weight classes the US needs to qualify. So, 65kg and 86kg, in order to qualify, the US just needs to place one of person in the top three in each of those tournaments. So the strategy for the US should be to blanket both tournaments at both weights with as many US wrestlers as possible. This should be a big priority because it maximizes our chances of qualifying the weight and  reduces the chances of fluke injuries, bad draws, bad calls and the like. 

So my question is, what will we actually do? What can we do? Can we send a contingent of four or five people at each weight? Will the wrestlers be willing to participate?