Ari Gold

What weights are still NOT qualified for the US?

Guest Kingsland

It's a good rule, if not the Russians could send all their guys and other countries would be hard pressed to qualify.

I'm pretty sure for qualification tournaments that you only get to send one wrestler per country. 

One per weight, blind draw, no wrestle backs, no true 2nd.  Although in the first world qualifier, the two 3rd place guys in typical world tournament formats wrestle each other for 3rd place.

I noticed Sahit Prizreni is now wrestling for Australia and qualified them for Rio at 65kg.  He lost 8-8 by criteria to Nigeria in the finals.  Egypt got 3 in for freestyle.  Australia has 2, Nigeria has 2, Guinea-Bissau has 1, Senegal has 1, Morocco has 1 and Tunisia has 2. 

Question: if USA Wrestling sends someone other than the OTT champion to one of the remaining world qualification tournaments and he qualifies the weight, would that force a wrestle-off with the OTT champion later?

For example: say hypothetically that Jake Herbert wins at OTTs but aggravates his shoulder, so USAW sends the runner up, say, J'Den Cox to Mongolia and he qualifies 86kg. Does that mean Herbert and Cox would wrestle-off again for the 86kg spot?  Or would the spot still belong to Herbert?

I realize the US OTTs were scheduled ahead of the last WQTs to avoid situations like Bunch and Scott last time, but I'm not totally clear what the rule is when the non-OTT winner qualifies the weight, after the trials.  Especially since USAW always has the option of sending someone other than the winner to the remaining WQTs anyway.

I think that would only happen if an injury would prevent them from competing at the Olympics

Got it - thank you.  So the spot would still belong to the OTT winner.

Another scenario that came to mind is that strategically, USAW may want to send the OTT winner to Mongolia and if the weight is still not qualified, send a fresh rep to Turkey two weeks later if it increases our chances of getting it done.  Particularly since countries who have already qualified won't send anyone to the last WQTs.

Yah, if memory serves, Bunch and Humphrey skipped trials bc they were sent to the WQTs. Bunch qualified the weight. Scott won trials, then wrestled-off with Humph and Bunch and won the spot.

Hump couldn't compete at trials because of injury but was given a spot in the special wrestle-offs by virtue of being the reigning world team member.

Edited by maligned