Sign in to follow this  
NJwrestlingguy

top 3 Programs that need a change

Having the right guy in charge and staff makes such a difference. Too many Division 1 Programs are led by guys way over their head. Look at what has happened at NC State and Rutgers. Before Rutgers hired Goodale and Leonardis you couldn't even find a box score on their duals. Now every newspaper in NJ covers them and they have thousands of fans that now follow NCAA Wrestling. NC State hiring Popolizio is gaining fans all over the Southeast that had no idea about NCAA Wrestling.

1- Michigan State- Huge University that is fully funded. Hiring the asst. who has been there 18 years is awful with how that program has been running. Sorry don't see where Chandler will make a difference. 

2- Hofstra- A hot bed of wrestling that seemed to disappear after Ryan left. They hired an alumni that that is overwhelmed and would probably struggle on HS level (just watch his interviews). They just keep sinking deeper and deeper as a program. I watched Brown go up 37-0 on them and they made the Bears look like the Hawkeyes. Year before they hired Pappy, Hofstra was wrestling top programs and competing. Now they are 1-7 in EIWA and getting blown out weekly.

3- Maryland- Kerry was a great wrestler and a great guy but he is not a Program leader. He has all the resources to be very good but they are bad right now and future doesn't look too bright. He hires a guy who buried the Penn program as his top assistant. Maryland needs to hire the right guys and build the fan base in DC Metro area.  

I also think of Princeton here. Before they hired Ayres and Joey D they had about 20 fans and they would cheer when a Princeton wrestler would get in on a leg (never finished). Now they have have wrestled in front of a couple thousand fans at Home and have built a fan base. Great Staff with Ayres and Joey D.

Edited by NJwrestlingguy

I also think of Princeton here. Before they hired Ayres and Joey D they had about 20 fans and they would cheer when a Princeton wrestler would get in on a leg (never finished). Now they have have wrestled in front of a couple thousand fans at Home and have built a fan base. Great Staff with Ayres and Joey D.

Don't understand why this is a part of the thread. Are you suggesting they need a change? I don't think so - Ayres is doing a great job in my book.

No...I am just saying the right staff will change the Program around,...Ayres and Joey D have done that in a short period of time..I think Ayres and Joey D would be great at Indiana...Tough watching Indiana wrestle their home matches with less fans then a PA middle school match.

Their AD is a major source of their problems from what I've heard. 

I'm willing to at least give Chandler a chance as the boss before declaring him a failure.

Also, I'm pretty sure Hofstra has a roster cap of 20. Was that in place for Tom Ryan and do we know that they still have the same number of scholarships? Do you actually think Papadatos is overwhelmed? He has three D1 coaching stops on his resume including 5 years working with your example of success in Popolizio. Again, give a guy more than 2 years before you declare him a failure.

I am a big fan of Goodale at Rutgers. However it's unfair to judge his predecessor in a negative light. John Sacchi was an excellent technician and always treated his athletes well. The financial support the Ruthers program is now receiving is significantly higher then before Goodale took over.

Edited by gowrestle

I'm willing to at least give Chandler a chance as the boss before declaring him a failure.

Also, I'm pretty sure Hofstra has a roster cap of 20. Was that in place for Tom Ryan and do we know that they still have the same number of scholarships? Do you actually think Papadatos is overwhelmed? He has three D1 coaching stops on his resume including 5 years working with your example of success in Popolizio. Again, give a guy more than 2 years before you declare him a failure.

Their current roster only has 18 guys listed. Is it safe to assume that they had 20 guys, and 2 quit? Or were they unable even to roster 20 guys to start the year?

Their current roster only has 18 guys listed. Is it safe to assume that they had 20 guys, and 2 quit? Or were they unable even to roster 20 guys to start the year?

Not sure, but their TrackWrestling roster has 21 on it and their stats list results for 19 guys. 

It's hard to believe they had that limit during the Tom Ryan era, they were tough up and down the lineup.  That's really to deal with if that's the case now...

McCoy had Maryland trending in the right direction when he first came on, last couple of years have been leaner.  I think he can turn it around...

I don't believe Hofstra has a cap of 20 and someone please correct me if I'm wrong on that. Recruiting hasn't gone well since Papadatos came in and I believe that's a combination of money and the situation no longer being appealing. The OP mentioned them getting blanked by Brown and when Anspach was the head coach they were competing with top programs. A lot of those guys from Anspach's team are on the team still but since that first year haven't competed at the same level that they did before. The examples are there if anyone cares to look

Goodale has the best assistant head coach in the country.  Pritzlaff makes that program.

What an insult to what Coach Goodale has accomplished.  Without Goodale Pritzlaff might not even be a part of the program.  There's no doubt Pritzlaff brings a ton to the program, but Goodale had the ball rolling well before he arrived.  Coach Sacchi had a great opportunity to build a PROGRAM, Coach Goodale's doing it.    

I am a big fan of Goodale at Rutgers. However it's unfair to judge his predecessor in a negative light. John Sacchi was an excellent technician and always treated his athletes well. The financial support the Ruthers program is now receiving is significantly higher then before Goodale took over.

Due in large part to Coach Goodale and his vision for the program.

Can't disagree with you more about Sacchi...Yes a good guy and very knowledgeable about the sport but he was a terrible ambassador for NJ Wrestling...When he left RU was on NCAA sanctions and lost 1.5 scholarships...He Did a terrible job of promoting college wrestling in NJ and like I said before not many people had any idea about the Program...Heard he never ran summer camps because is was too much work...It took Goodale about 5 months on the job and he ran circles on Sachhi's 18 years by working his tail off.

Can't disagree with you more about Sacchi...Yes a good guy and very knowledgeable about the sport but he was a terrible ambassador for NJ Wrestling...When he left RU was on NCAA sanctions and lost 1.5 scholarships...He Did a terrible job of promoting college wrestling in NJ and like I said before not many people had any idea about the Program...Heard he never ran summer camps because is was too much work...It took Goodale about 5 months on the job and he ran circles on Sachhi's 18 years by working his tail off.

Let's remember something about John. He was part time for most of his tenure. He taught at Middlesex CC the whole time. IIRC, even the last few years when he became full time they didn't fund a full time assistant and didn't have 9.9. (maybe about half of that)