preceptor

Dieringer Wins Hodge

As a PSU fan, I'm happy that Dieringer won the Hodge.   He is a Senior and a three-time NCAA champion.  Zain has two more years to try to claim one.

However, I do have to call into questions what are voters really supposed to be voting on in terms of the Hodge.  If it is based on one season, I'm not sure how it wouldn't go to Zain.  If past performances are a solid indicator, then Dieringer was the correct recipient.  I guess I'm not clear on how the voters are instructed to vote.  I keep hearing them calling it "Wrestling's Heisman", but, if that were the case, it would be based solely on this season.

As a PSU fan, I'm happy that Dieringer won the Hodge.   He is a Senior and a three-time NCAA champion.  Zain has two more years to try to claim one.

However, I do have to call into questions what are voters really supposed to be voting on in terms of the Hodge.  If it is based on one season, I'm not sure how it wouldn't go to Zain.  If past performances are a solid indicator, then Dieringer was the correct recipient.  I guess I'm not clear on how the voters are instructed to vote.  I keep hearing them calling it "Wrestling's Heisman", but, if that were the case, it would be based solely on this season.

From the WIN website:

"Criteria for the award includes a wrestler’s record, number of pins, dominance on the mat, past credentials, quality of competition, sportsmanship/citizenship and heart."

Past credentials is clearly part of the stated criteria.

Well said, Messrs. PhiferFuqua and mvattivo. While I thought Zain had the edge based on a strict reading

of the criteria, I have no problem with Ringer winning the award. He ends his college career as one of the

greatest champions in Oklahoma State history and second all-time in career wins, trailing only his coach,

the legendary John Smith (not too shabby company, IMO).

Moreover, Alex is a class act and a great representative of the sport. Best of luck to him as he turns his

attention to freestyle competition. And congratulations on winning the 2016 Hodge, Mr. Ringer!

What will the committee do next season if cox wins his third title and retherford is just as dominant? Does it go to cox or retherford then...

Dean going for 3X as well next year. But lots of wrestling to happen between now and then...

Congrats to Dieringer, he is a great wrestler, 3x champion is no joke at all , I just think they should go out and say that past credentials are as important or even more important than the 4 "primary criterias".

It's going to be really tough for Retherford in the next 2 years with Cox, Dean and I-Mar.

Congrats to Dieringer, he is a great wrestler, 3x champion is no joke at all , I just think they should go out and say that past credentials are as important or even more important than the 4 "primary criterias".

It's going to be really tough for Retherford in the next 2 years with Cox, Dean and I-Mar.

I think Dieringer has an argument for winning two of the four "primary criteria".

Not arguing this here, already discussed in another topic.

Congrats to Dieringer.

Okay. Just pointing out that Retherford didn't necessarily win the categories that many people gave him. Ex. "Dominance"

First, no problem with AD winning.  Great champion.  But I do think the WIN people need to sharper their criteria.  Based on this collegiate season alone--Retherford edges Dieringer.  Based on accomplishments over the last year--it's Snyder.

Based on a fine season and a career in totale--it's Dieringer.

silver-medal,

I know Snyder is your guy and he pulled off an AMAZING feat winning a World Championship, but that should mean ZERO in the Hodge debate.  It's a different style of wrestling and the Hodge is for College wrestling results.  He may very well be the best Neutral wrestler in DI wrestling, but the award is actually designed more to award mat wrestling than anything else(hence the pin criteria).

I wouldn't worry about Retherford losing out to a 3x Champ next year.  His past credentials will likely be nearly as good as or better than Cox or Dean's.  He just completed an undefeated and super dominant season.  Neither Dean nor Cox(although it was a DQ) were undefeated, nor as dominant, this past season.  Retherford could very well be riding a 70+ match winning streak by the end of next season.

I don't see either having a season like Dieringer's and I also don't see Retherford regressing.  If Retherford has a similar season next year, he will be the Hodge recipient!